Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Effect of nappy type on toilet training

(9 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 11-Feb-05 14:15:55

I posted this on another thread, but may have hijacked it! So thought I would start afresh here.

Does the type of nappy, ie cloth or disposable, speed up or delay toilet training, or can't we tell as no two children are the same? I'd be interested in folks experiences, as there have been comments like today's children don't know they're wet, so it takes longer. Etc.

Just feeling curious. Nowhere near that stage yet. I will ask ds if he has a poo and he shakes his head vigorously for no, when you can see the steam trailing behind him . If it's relevant, he's been in cloth since (almost) birth. Cheers!

catgirl Fri 11-Feb-05 14:25:27

my only expereince is my ds, who was a cloth nappy wearer from (almost) birth and was toilet trained by 21 months. BUT, I work full time and this was done at the suggestion of our wonderful childminder (who has oddles of expereince) as it was summer, thought she would try it, etc. So basically we all did as we were told!

Will be interested to follow this, as I do think him being in cloth has a relevance. Also, his speech and comprehension are good - cm thinks that makes a difference too.

Waswondering Sat 12-Feb-05 13:21:57

Noone?

BadHair Sat 12-Feb-05 15:41:23

Ds1 was 2.8 and wasn't showing any signs of potty training, so I put him in cloth nappies thinking that they'd be wet and soggy and would speed him up. No such luck! He was well over 3 by the time he'd cracked it, and he vastly preferred his cotton nappies over his paper pants.
Ds2 is now a 2.4 yr old cloth nappy wearer and is showing no signs of being potty ready.
I think its more to do with waiting until they are physically capable than what type of nappies they actually wear.

BadHair Sat 12-Feb-05 15:43:21

Oh, and ds2 sounds very much like your ds when it comes to the vehement denial of poo. Perhaps it keeps them warm and cosy on these cold winter days!

fruitful Sat 12-Feb-05 15:51:09

Wearing cloth nappies seems to help some kids in that they recognise the difference between wet and dry, so they know when they have just wee'd. Doesn't help them tell that they're about to wee of course! And quite often they don't care that they are wet - they're used to it.

Our first attempt at training wasn't successful. Before the second attempt, I put dd in disposables for a fortnight, so she got used to being nice and dry all the time. Then she really noticed the wet knickers!

At least with cloth you don't care if they take ages to train, cos you're not paying for the nappies...

meysey Tue 15-Feb-05 16:16:23

ds1 was in cloth and potty trained by 2 for day. but night took a lot longer.

interestingly at nursery the teacher said don't use pullups as they can't feel their wee. switch to pants and don't go back

bobbybob Tue 15-Feb-05 23:15:01

My ds wears both and doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference.

Rarrie Wed 16-Feb-05 00:08:10

I don't know as my dd is only 15 months, so we're not potty training yet, but she is in cloth and she knows when she has done a poo, or when she is very wet - she'll sign nappy change, and if we don't respond, she'll go and bring you a new nappy! She hates being in a very wet / dirty nappy now. When she's in a disposable (when I'm badly organised and haven't got any clean cloth ones) she is far less reliable and I actually have to check whether she needs a change or not. When she's in cloth, I just wait for her to tell me when she wants a change!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now