Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DS 3.1 yrs doesn't want to wear nappy at night

(8 Posts)
quaranta Tue 05-Aug-08 08:52:22

I wonder if you can help me. DS is bar the very odd accident fully dry during the day but has been wearing a nappy at night until last few nights when he has asked not to - and remained dry... for 3/5 of them. What do I do though - plastic sheets and wake him and take him to loo when I go to bed? Bit unsure about how to proceed any ideas? THANK YOU

wessexgirl Tue 05-Aug-08 08:55:04

My dd2 has been the same since just before turning 3 - taking her nappy off and refusing to wear it.

I've been waking her and taking her to the loo just before I go to bed. It's worked beautifully so far - no accidents at all. She's still in a cot at the mo, but once she's in her bed (today, hopefully!), I'm going to work on seeing if she will get up and use the potty on her own.

It's great that your ds wants to be so independent! I hope whatever you choose to do works for you.

quaranta Tue 05-Aug-08 09:00:56

Thanks wessex girl, sounds similar doesn't it... I think I will go for your strategy. Will probably end up with DS1 slinking into our room for crafty co-sleeping but I don't mind. Keep in touch and I;ll let you know how it goes this end!

mistlethrush Tue 05-Aug-08 09:01:16

We've been using relatively heavy duty training pants (very comfortable - bought from Flame - Diaperwraps) under PJs at night, combined with a lift for a wee when we go to bed. These mean that there is less of a problem - they don't solve it, you still need a waterproof sheet, but they do contain most so its not a problem to deal with...

During recent hot weather, pants have not been used as we've not had a wet bed for sometime - still lifting - ds 3.4.

We'll probably continue to lift for a bit, then ease this forward gradually so that he has longer in the main part of the night. He's been potty trained since 2.3 and there was no way he would have got through the night dry at that stage - lifting solved this for us. I know that lots of people don't agree with it as a concept - but we have an exit strategy which we hope will ease him out of it at a later stage.

thehairybabysmum Tue 05-Aug-08 09:19:51

My Ds did this recently and he's only 2.5...i was sure he wasnt ready not to have a nappy at night as he had wee in his nappy some mornings still (prob 1 out of 3). Anyway i thought it would do harm to go with it and see waht happened.

What i do is tmake the bed with waterproof bottom sheet then one of those pampers bed mats then his usual sheet. This way he doesnt see the bed mat or scrunch it up in the night as much and the bed still easy to change if there is an accident.

A friend also recommended then adding another layer of bedmat/sheet so that you can just whip the top one off in the night if needs be. Good idea though i havent got round to that yet.

Anyway my DS has surprised me by being dry most mornings, more than i thought he would...we probably have an accident once every 2 weeks.

I never lift him at night either (too scared at teh thought of piotential tantrum and not going back to sleep for hours grin), just make sure he has a wee before bed.

I would go for it and see what happens, you can always go back to pull ups if needs be.

mistlethrush Tue 05-Aug-08 10:29:36

My ds doesn't actually wake up properly when lifted - we keep to low light, very little communication - never has any problem settling straight back down.... he even manages to have a drink sometimes and still be mainly asleep! grin

quaranta Wed 06-Aug-08 10:47:53

another dry night but tried the lifting technique and got shouted at by ds so chanced it. fingers crossed for tonight!

thehairybabysmum Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:26

excellent, glad he's doing well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now