Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

More questions about prefolds - sorry!

(27 Posts)
charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 21:44:30

Didn't want to post on my other thread because it's about something else! smile I started using prefolds on DD (who is 1 on Thursday) yesterday, and have a few questions about how they work.

After I have fastened them with the nippa, they seem a bit loose around the legs. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

How wet is too wet? I change her after each wee, and the nappy is soaked all the way through to the wrap. Is this what is supposed to happen, or does she need a booster?

Finally, I bought a kit, and the wraps are rubbish. The velcro bends, and the waistband cuts in. What are some good wraps for prefolds? I like the look of the Tots Bots and Naturebabies wraps, are they any good?

TIA, and sorry for so many questions! blush

CarGirl Mon 04-Aug-08 21:47:52

You shouldn't need to use a nippa on the pre-folds now your dd is one.

YOu need wraps designed for pre-folds, motherease rikka (velcro again) are gusseted so you just fold the prefolds in three pop them in the middle of the wrap and they stay in place.

As long as the wrap isn't wicking (leaking) then it's okay if the prefolds are very soggy, a thin booster would help, you could just use some microfibre cloths folded up if you want to try something cheap and quick drying.

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 22:00:26

So should I just pad fold them then? I haven't actually got enough money to buy new wraps just yet, so would it be ok to carry on what I'm doing now until I can?
The wrap doesn't wick through to her clothes, so yay! Something I'm getting right! grin I have been using disposables until now, so it's strange to feel a nappy so wet! I've got some terry boosters which I use at night, so may try one in the day and see how that goes. Thanks for your help!

dingdong05 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:12:33

Yes, fold them into a pad and pop them into the wrap. Are you using a large prefold? The bigger cotton nappies can absorb more and bigger babies wee in larger quantities so they do need the extra absorbency the larger nappies give. A booster will help, and if you aren't happy with the wet then use a fleece liner as they are great at providing a stay dry layer. x

dingdong05 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:13:23

And use the wraps if they work!

CarGirl Mon 04-Aug-08 22:17:24

okay so the wraps are working your just not used to the wetness yet, you're doing fine just go with the pad fold

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 22:26:11

No I'm using a medium prefold, I thought they'd be ok. Wish I'd asked on here before I bought them now, I knew I'd screw up somewhere <sigh> I'm using a fleece liner, which does seem to keep her bottom drier. Will try the pad fold tomorrow and see how we get on. Thanks CarGirl and dingdong05!

CarGirl Mon 04-Aug-08 22:30:39

medium is probably about right size tbh.

when you say they are very wet is the whole prefold wet or are there some drier areas, I think you will find the pad fold more absorbant as you fold them the opposite way so that all the thick centre panel is in the middle (hope that makes sense)

you can use anything to boost with, old flannels, value microfibre cloths etc.

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 22:39:45

She is quite a petite 12 month old, she is almost 20 pounds but doesn't look it! One of the reasons I'm glad she is in cloth nappies is because I can finally put away her 3-6 month clothes. So hopefully the mediums will do her, at least for a little while. It's only the middle of the prefold that's wet, the ends are dry usually. Hopefully the pad fold will work, it takes me ages to do the nippa up because I never do it tight enough! Thanks again.

CarGirl Mon 04-Aug-08 22:44:40

Pad fold will make a big difference. I can't believe she will lay still enough to let you do a nippa on prefold (I found them tricky on prefold fabric).

Come back an let us know how you go tomorrow.

dingdong05 Mon 04-Aug-08 23:07:06

Hehe, it is a different world- if its just a bit that's wet then your fine, if the whole thing is soaked then boost with something, but you probably won't need to bother with that for a while.
Apparently girls tend to wet more up the back (boys up front obv) so when you're experimenting with folds try one with a bit more padding in the rear.
x

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 23:15:51

I bribe her with my mobile whilst changing her. Unfortunately this means she takes photos, usually of her foot, and sends them to the first contact in my address book. But you know, you win some, you lose some! grin I feel relieved now I've spoken to you two, I thought I'd made a big mistake, and bought completely the wrong nappies for me! I will post again tomorrow when I've tried out this pad fold. smile

Octothechildherder Mon 04-Aug-08 23:21:32

get a stuffable to put them in instead of a wrap - your whole view will change!

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 14:52:31

Update time! Have been using pad fold today, and it seems to have worked really well. At nap time I think it was about to leak because she was asleep on her side, but she woke up before it did. Her leg was just a bit damp, but her trousers were dry.

I'm stumped for nights though to be honest. I've been using a prefold with nippa with a trifolded booster and fleece liner, but she's waking up all night and 1 1/2 hours early in the morning. I feel like a zombie! I dont know if it's just because she's not used to feeling wet at night, or if I'm not doing her night nappy well enough. Her sleep's only just got better in the last fortnight, so really don't want to go back to 2 hourly wakings!

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 17:47:37

I forgot the other thing I wanted to ask. Zora has a nappy rash which started yesterday. I have tried airing her bottom and aloe vera gel, but it is still the same. Any advice?

Am feeling a bit jaded by all this tbh. Don't know if it's just because I'm tired, but I feel like I'm getting it all wrong and have no idea what I'm doing. sad

CarGirl Tue 05-Aug-08 18:30:28

If she has nappy rash I'd go back to disposables at night for a while until you get some decent nappies probably about 3, you really need some proper fitted size 2 nappies and motherease airflow wraps - but a wanted add on the nappy for sale bit I know it seems like more money but it will make a big difference. Happy to help you find out what to buy from what is offered IYSWIM

nappy rash - are you just cleaning with water? Try metanium cream and make sure it's not thrush or something else if it doesn't start to improve within a few days.

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 18:43:41

Would it be ok to post a wanted ad? I don't post a lot and don't want people thinking I'm trying to scam them.

I didn't think you could use metanium cream with cloth, but it does usually clear her rashes up quickly so I'll put some on tonight. I've been using wipes, but I'll use water for a while and see if it helps.

Thankyou for all your help, I probably would have gone back to disposables otherwise! smile

Octothechildherder Tue 05-Aug-08 18:54:39

charchar - I feel for you in that I have seen so many people in your situation - having bought nappies, unsure what to do, nappy rash kicks in etc - then unsure whether to carry on - it can be a nightmare - but definitely worth pursuing. I have had 3 in cloth, been a cloth nappy adviser and still work for one of the major uk nappy companies. I am selling nappies in the for sale section atm in your size - would be happy to sell you the lot tbh quite cheaply as you seem keen. The problem however is the weight and cost of delivery sad Have a look at my listing - you def need the covers for your prefolds but the shaped nappies would be good for night.

email me on vickifinn@tiscali.co.uk and we could strike a deal!

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 19:03:08

Just remembered can't use the For Sale section as I haven't subscribed to CAT and can't afford to either. Guess I'll be trawling the nappy website sales next month when I get paid! smile

Octothechildherder Tue 05-Aug-08 19:07:11

charchar - you don;t have to register to buy - I am genuinely happy to sell you my nappy mountain for very little - please do email me smile

LackaDAISYcal Tue 05-Aug-08 19:09:27

I can't add to the advice about prefolds etc as I've always used shaped napies and wraps or pocket nappies with microfibre inserts, but www.usednappies.co.uk is a great site for buying and selling second hand nappies. I've had some great bargains from here and there seem to be lots of prefolds and wraps for sale all the time.

Good Luck with it though; my DD also has problems with nappy rash so I tend to give her as much airtime as i can between changes and use disposables at night. If it gets too bad, I switch to dispos for a few days till it clears and then back to cloth. Not ideal, but I console myself with the fact that everytime she is in a real nappy, it's one less dispo going to landfill. It kind of makes a mockery of the whole cost thing, but LIDL nappies are cheap as chips and very good for overnight.

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 19:31:52

Have emailed you Octo smile

Octothechildherder Tue 05-Aug-08 19:44:58

thanks for email have responded - off for the night now x

charchargabor Tue 05-Aug-08 20:16:05

Thankyou to everyone who has helped me, hopefully now we'll be able to stick with cloth! grin

CarGirl Wed 06-Aug-08 08:57:15

btw it's fine to use metanium with cloth or any other nappy rash cream just apply it thinly so it goesn't clog the liner up IYSWIM

It is much better for your dds skin to just use water - I used to use wipes for poos and then finish off with water (you can use fleece to make wasshable wipes that you just stick in the wash with your nappies). If we went out for the day and had to use wipes we would have nappy rash the next day guranteed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now