Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Newborns: sometimes i wonder if it's worth him wearing a nappy, am i doing something wrong

(33 Posts)
bakedpotato Fri 11-Feb-05 11:34:33

OK, i can't remember whether it was like this with DD, i have a feeling not. the point is: DS's nappy leaks like mad. during his naps, wee escapes in copious quantities -- i THINK up over the sides/back of the nappy -- and i'm forever changing his attire/ moses basket sheets etc. it's especially not fun in the middle of the night.

i'm using huggies, the right size for his weight, and i seem to be tightening the tabs fine around the waist. huggies were always fine (as far as i can remember) with DD. i always put a dry one on before he naps, it's not simply due to slovenliness.

are boys just like this, is it a newborn thing, has anyone any tips?

Yorkiegirl Fri 11-Feb-05 11:38:23

Message withdrawn

otto Fri 11-Feb-05 11:39:34

I don't know if it's a boy thing but it used to happen to ds all the time. It drove me nuts. Ds was always quite a skinny little thing, but like you, I always thought the nappy was on tight enough. I think it continued until he was about five or six months. I remember getting through several sleep suits a night and often had to change blankets. Just what you need at 3am!

snafu Fri 11-Feb-05 11:40:05

I never got on with Huggies for ds. Leaktastic.

otto Fri 11-Feb-05 11:40:13

I changed brands and it made not difference

yoyo Fri 11-Feb-05 11:40:34

I had two DDs and didn't have this problem and then along came DS. He seemed to be permanently weeing! I tried pointing it down and that didn't work. I went through all the different nappies and had no joy either. He also wet himself every time I changed him which was a pain as you watched the arc spray through the air. Popping a sock on at change times helped (when I remembered which was never in the middle of the night). Don't know what the answer is but just wanted you to know you are not alone. It did improve by the time he was a couple of months old I seem to remember.

otto Fri 11-Feb-05 11:40:41

I don't know if it's a boy thing but it used to happen to ds all the time. It drove me nuts. Ds was always quite a skinny little thing, but like you, I always thought the nappy was on tight enough. I think it continued until he was about five or six months. I remember getting through several sleep suits a night and often had to change blankets. Just what you need at 3am!

lockets Fri 11-Feb-05 11:41:11

Message withdrawn

bakedpotato Fri 11-Feb-05 11:43:12

Lockets! that was exactly what i was wondering, but it sounded too mad to post.
eww, i will try to point it downward for next nap.

Sponge Fri 11-Feb-05 11:43:21

Happened with my ds when it never, or at least rarely, did with dd.
I think because they pee directionally there's more chance of it squirting out of the side or upwards.
Try to make sure you tuck his willy down flat when you put the nappy on, maybe try a different brand - we started with Huggies which were fine for dd but have moved to Pampers which seem to suit ds better.
Otherwise you'll just have to put up with it til he's a bir bigger I think. Ds is now 6 months and it doesn't happen any more.

Sponge Fri 11-Feb-05 11:44:24

Great minds Lockets

Lonelymum Fri 11-Feb-05 11:47:37

BP - I never liked Huggies either - they just didn't seem to do it for my children's bottoms as well as other nappies, but it is an individual thing. Do make sure his willy is pointing downwards though as that is important. Do you find hew sprays the minute you take the nappy of too? My ds3 did, so we learnt to undo the nappy, let the air in, but keep his willy covered and almost every time he weed some more! There is a knack to dealing with boys: you have to be one step ahead of them all the time (good practice for later on I think!)

Flossam Fri 11-Feb-05 11:48:43

Definately pointing it downwards makes a big difference. If I forget I wake up with a soggy baby! Also have started using pampers and have found that he seems to be drier a lot more often. I missed BP, did you get your hair done or did DS arrive first?!

Flossam Fri 11-Feb-05 11:49:38

Also, for covering during nappy changes I usually find that the first wet wipe has dried out somewhat and is ideal to stop the spray!

lockets Fri 11-Feb-05 11:50:58

Message withdrawn

bakedpotato Fri 11-Feb-05 11:52:57

it's pointing down, full of hope this makes a difference. will report later.

flossam, i never got my hair done. (appt was booked for the day DS made his entrance.) i look like like worzel gummidge's less refined cousin.

Lonelymum Fri 11-Feb-05 11:54:38

The HV recommended a sheet of toilet paper tastefully draped over ds3's willy. A whole roll might have stemmed the flow, but one sheet? Ha!

bakedpotato Fri 11-Feb-05 11:57:40

yeah i've been enjoying the spray surprise too.

boys. it's another world.

Snugs Fri 11-Feb-05 12:04:57

Another vote against Huggies for boys - found Pampers ok tho. We used to open the nappy and sort of waft it a bit to get air in there and then hold it back over the willy to catch the blast! Only time DH didn't do it, he got caught full on in the face with the fountain

popsycal Fri 11-Feb-05 12:32:31

is his willy pointing down?

also cover his willy with a wipe or muslin as soon as you take the nappy off

found pampers better for him than huggies at the start...

Prettybird Fri 11-Feb-05 12:34:55

I think I tried Huggies briefly for ds and went back to Pampers - seemed to fit him better. He was also a skinny wee thing.

bakedpotato Fri 11-Feb-05 14:09:31

well... he's just waking up... and he's dry!

sweetkitty Fri 11-Feb-05 22:04:44

not got a boy so don't know about squirting but DD was soggy with huggies a lot changed to pampers and she's been fine

HunkerMunker Fri 11-Feb-05 22:07:51

Willy pointing downwards plus Tesco nappies equals dry baby IME

KBear Fri 11-Feb-05 22:09:18

I remember it well, DS was constantly soaked up his back and all his bedding. Used to fold up another sheet to lay him on that so I didn't have change the cot in middle of the night. I tried every brand of nappy there is and found that Morrison's own brand were really good and seem more absorbent than Huggies (never liked Pampers).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now