Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Tips for getting rid of stains and smells please!

(5 Posts)
SilverSixpence Mon 04-Aug-08 14:18:33

hi, i'm using LL bamboo nappies and flexitots on my DS. He poos a LOT and the first 2 or 3 washes everything came out beautiful and stain free, but the last time i noticed that 2 or 3 of the nappies were stained. I've put them out on the line to see if they will bleach out but it doesn't seem too likely because they are quite obvious.

so far i am dry pailing, doing a rinse wash and then a 60 deg wash with non bio washing powder. for heavily pooed on nappies i've sluiced in the toilet but it doesn't actually seem to get much off - he's breastfed, so would that make a difference?

the other thing is that they still smell of wee afterwards. I put some vinegar in the conditioner compartment (wasn't sure how much to put so quite a lot!) but they ended up smelling of vinegar AND wee so not much of an improvement (in fact worse according to DH!). It's not v bad, but i would like them to smell fresh afterwards and they dont seem to.

BigBadMousey Mon 04-Aug-08 14:57:15

Don't thank me..thank needaholiday for this (I've cut and pastd it from a previous thread...

soak them in white vinegar and cold water (500ml bottle of vinegar and top up the nappy bucket with water) overnight. Then put the whole lot in the washer, do a prerinse on cold, wash hot with a full dose of biological detergent. rinse two times with warm or cold water to shift the detergent and the nappies should smell ok.

That worked well for the OP from that thread.

Stains are best sunned out - you wouldn't believe what the sun can get out but for best effect you need a very sunny day. Some people use vanish and all that......not needed it myself but we have very strong sunlight down here surrounded by the sea grin

babyjjbaby Mon 04-Aug-08 15:07:01

do u use fleece liners i find they stop the nappies getting stained alot

apsie Mon 04-Aug-08 17:56:00

I'm using flexitots and breastfeeding too, this is what I do:
Dry pail, then 2 tablespoons ish of non-bio detergent, plus a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (neutralises the wee smell). In the softener section I put a couple of teaspoons of white vinegar and 2-3 drops of tea tree and/or lavender essential oil. Works a treat for all but the biggest stains, which pretty much always sun bleach anyway. HTH

SilverSixpence Tue 12-Aug-08 20:19:29

apsie i tried your method and the smell seems much better - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now