Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Trousers for cloth nappies?

(19 Posts)
charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 10:03:34

Have just started using prefolds with DD yesterday, and none of her trousers fit anymore! sad I really can't afford to buy any of the clothing from cut4cloth or anywhere. Has anyone got any advice on trousers to buy? TIA!

lisad123 Mon 04-Aug-08 10:09:57

hmm i find boden work well grin

BigBadMousey Mon 04-Aug-08 10:17:55

Jogging type trousers with elasticated waists work well.

Dungarees work very well too.

amner Mon 04-Aug-08 10:20:51

Dresses are the obvious way forward, especially with funky wraps to show off !

Apparantly supermarket clothes come out well.

cmotdibbler Mon 04-Aug-08 10:24:00

On DS I used shorts or 3/4 length trousers in a size up so the legs weren't too long. On a DD skirts, dresses or leggings would be good.

Osh Kosh dungies (off Ebay) are fab.

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 10:44:19

Thankyou everybody! Guess dresses, leggings and stretchy trousers are the new way to go then! Shame because I really like her in jeans. smile

BigBadMousey Mon 04-Aug-08 11:39:06

If you can get your hands on a pair of tesco value jeans (from the basics range) then you'll find they fit over cloth nappies well. Most tesco girls stuff is cut too thin around the thighs these days but these basics jeans are fab - and only £1.50 - £2 a pair. They come up quite big though - DD2 is 2.3 and in the 12-18months ones shock.

When I come across them in Tescos I buy in bulk grin

cazzybabs Mon 04-Aug-08 11:39:41

cut for cloth - google frugi

cazzybabs Mon 04-Aug-08 11:40:06

sorry hafl way through and I didn't finish have a good sale on at the mo

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 04-Aug-08 11:40:58

Buy the next size up in Jeans and sew turnups.

You'll then find when she's out of nappies you can unsew the turn ups and they will fit again.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 04-Aug-08 11:44:48

DS has been mostly in cloth from 6 wks (now 2) and has had only one pair of jeans I think... They were picked up from a charity shop and are actually a pair of long shorts for age 3-4. They have elasticated waist. Worth looking at different sizes & thinking laterally.

I find that cheaper brands are often good for fitting over cloth nappies - particularly Tescos, George at Asda. As already said with girls you have option of dresses, pinafores etc. We have a couple of pairs of leggings for DS, I think he looks cute in them but he may not thank me in future years grin

rachelinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 19:59:50

For my little boy the only jeans I've found that he actually fits in (well, that look comfortable) are ones from George at Asda - they're fab! Had several different styles, as well as canvas trousers, and you'd just about think they were made for cloth nappies, such a perfect fit. But stretchy trousers like leggings or jogging bottoms are good too (just not quite as stylish), tho I've found that Next jogging bottoms are really hopeless for cloth nappies - they are soooo slim it's silly! As are lots of Mackays (BabyMac) stuff.

My latest find that I am really pleased with are some long/baggy shorts that Tesco are selling off for only 1 pound at the moment! They look like jeans but are actually a lighter cotton fabric, with slight distress marks. I like them so much I bought my son a couple of pairs for next year! But they've got the adjustable elastic (like in maternity clothes!) and have soooo much room - I'd think even more than the official "cut4cloth" sort of stuff! Just a bit they didn't have them in long trousers too!

reiver Mon 04-Aug-08 20:51:38

Have you tried Rainbowbabies www.rainbowbabies.co.uk which was mentioned here recently? Not expensive but good quality & generous fit for nappies.

accessorizequeen Mon 04-Aug-08 21:05:04

Anything with adjustable waist will probably do (that's what I buy for ds2). H&M do these for baby trousers and have loads of jeans. Depending how old she is, Boots Mini Mode, Pumpkin Patch, Sainsbury's Tu and M&S all do adjustable waists. I do find H&M has the best range though, the only jeans I have for ds2 are from there & fit him beautifully (only £6 too).

Indith Mon 04-Aug-08 21:10:06

The next size up tends to work well. I am a big fan of cut4cloth/frugi though. I know you say you can't afford it but their sales are pretty good and what I have noticed is that the stuff lasts longer. Even with buying normal trousers a size up they still get tight around the crotch pretty quickly where C4C don't. As a rough guide ds at 19 months still wears his 6-12 vests from C4C and has bags of room in his 12-18 trousers, a few more months wear I think. I'm not a fan of trousers by Tinker Togs (they are just very plain) but again he still fits 6-9 sleepsuits. So more outlay at the start but pretty good value I think!

charchargabor Mon 04-Aug-08 21:27:34

Thanks everyone! Didn't expect so many people to respond - it's quite a boring question! grin Went to Ethel Austins today and bought a few things in the sale. One of them was an outfit with a pair of bloomer-type shorts, and they fit really well. I will shop around everywhere everyone has said, and see if I can get some more bargains. Thanks again! smile

MrsBadger Mon 04-Aug-08 22:04:57

anotherh vote fro 3/4 lentgh cropped trous in the next size up - DD had some corkers from Gap - the 12-18m ones fitted her from 3-6m and now (11m) she wears 2-3yrs ones (from Adams sale I think)

agree dungarees are the best though, and Osh Kosh ones last forever - ours are about to be passed to the fourth child and look as good as new

moocowme Tue 05-Aug-08 12:21:37

i found sewing my own works well. i get the cut i want and they fit well. i can also do a long hem on the legs and let them down when he gets taller. Its cheap to as I only need a smallish piece of fabric. stuff from remnant bins works well.

funtimewincies Sat 09-Aug-08 19:37:24

Sorry to come in late, but I've only just spotted this. Ds is in tots bots and we've always found TU (Sainsbury's) to fit brilliantly over his nappies.

Lots of trousers with elasticated waists in sizes up to 18months, more tricky now that he's older.

Hope you find things to suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now