Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone ever used a nappy laundry service?

(14 Posts)
WhyIsItRaining Sun 03-Aug-08 18:17:58

We're switching to real nappies and considering this. Does anyone have any experience? Is it a good idea?

tazmosis Sun 03-Aug-08 18:31:37

Yes and yes! Absolute godsend she used to pick up the bin of dirties and drop of a batch of clean ones everyone Thursday morning. Took a load of hassle off me when DD1 was first born.

Tommy Sun 03-Aug-08 18:33:21

I didn't find it very convenient TBH. We didn't like the dirty nappies hanging round all week

WhyIsItRaining Sun 03-Aug-08 19:35:13

Hmm so two differing views! I just wonder if I will have time (and be organised enough) to wash proper nappies otherwise. Tazmosis, it wasn't a london based service you used was it?

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 19:40:13

To be honest the easiest bit of using cloth nappies (for me) is the laundering of them. You bung them in the machine every 2-3 days and hang them on the line or toss them in the dryer or hang them on the rack. Really it's OK (and I have 2 under 2 both mostly in cloth).

WhyIsItRaining Sun 03-Aug-08 19:44:38

Thanks for the message tassissss. But I live in a teeny tiny london flat with no outdoor space and no dryer. It's a mission to get clothes dry as it is, so I'm really looking for an alternative....

nct73 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:02:13

I have found it great to have the laundry service. You get the odd poopy nappy when poop has overspilled liner which needs a wash or will stink your house out till collection day but generally not stinky unless someone leaves nappy bin lid up/off. Would never have the room to dry nappies as well as all our clothes but mainly they get them so white & soft. They went a bit cardboardy when I washed them myself over christmas.

WhyIsItRaining Sun 03-Aug-08 20:13:31

Thanks NCT73. Don't suppose you are in London and can make a recommendation can you?

nct73 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:42:56

Sorry am in Manchester. I started by using the free trial from the council. London has one where you get a voucher to cover 1 month laundry or towards buying nappies. They have a list of suppliers & laundry services. Hope you are one of the listed councils. If not, should petition them to join.

[[http://www.realnappiesforlondon.org.uk ]]

Operates across several boroughs, including Bexley, Camden, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harringay, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Lewisham, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets. Value £30-£54.15 depending on local authority.

nct73 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:43:44

Sorry am in Manchester. I started by using the free trial from the council. London has one where you get a voucher to cover 1 month laundry or towards buying nappies. They have a list of suppliers & laundry services. Hope you are one of the listed councils. If not, should petition them to join.

www.realnappiesforlondon.org.uk

Operates across several boroughs, including Bexley, Camden, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harringay, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Lewisham, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets. Value £30-£54.15 depending on local authority.

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 20:50:09

In that case i can see exactly why you're considering this!

tazmosis Wed 06-Aug-08 10:44:08

Whyisitraining - no Shropshire based. The bin she provided stop any smell. I just found it very easy not to have to worry about washing them, and so anything else was a small inconvenience!

tazmosis Wed 06-Aug-08 10:44:45

sorry 'stopped any smell'..

overthemill Wed 06-Aug-08 10:46:51

yes. used one for just over a year. had a bin they provided. put poo down the toilet. put nappies in a bin with a lid. didnt realy smell - not as much as a disposable does in your kitchen bin anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now