Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training

(17 Posts)
mumabear Sun 03-Aug-08 15:44:17

hi my child is showing all the signs of been ready for potty training but she refuses to sit on the potty or toilet. i have tried sticker chart, rewards and even brought a dora potty. has anyone got any advice, thx

Shitehawk Sun 03-Aug-08 15:47:30

My advice would be to leave potty training until she's happy to sit on the potty or the toilet. You could be in for some terrible battles with her otherwise.

Leave the potty around, let her know what it's for, and that she can use it whenever she wants, and then leave the ball in her court.

Don't get embroiled in a battle with her over using the potty. Relax, let it happen when she is ready.

mumabear Sun 03-Aug-08 15:50:05

iam just a bit worried as she is three next month and due to start nursery in sept.

Shitehawk Sun 03-Aug-08 15:54:54

There is plenty of time between now and September; you would be surprised at how much difference a few weeks can make in a child who is pretty much ready.

Trying to force the issue will just make her dig her heels in all the more, and stress you out to boot.

Her refusal to sit on the potty may be a control issue - it's the one area where you can't control what she does. Because you make an issue of it, she kisks back and refuses to do it. If you stop making an issue and just let her get on with it, she's got nothing to kick back against.

mumabear Sun 03-Aug-08 16:08:48

ill keep nappy off and leave potty about but she just wets anywhere

Shitehawk Sun 03-Aug-08 17:53:29

If she just wets anywhere then she is not ready for potty training at all.

I would put her back in nappies and try again in a couple of weeks. Still tell her what the potty is for, and how she can use it whenever she wants to, but leave her in nappies for a while.

mumabear Sun 03-Aug-08 21:38:32

when she needs a wee she asks for a nappy first so she knows when its coming but i will take your advice as i dont want to make matters worse thank you

BigHotMama Mon 04-Aug-08 16:19:30

Just started potty training last Monday as off work until term starts in September. My ds is nearly 2 and at first wouldn't sit on the potty. So I sort of coaxed him into sitting on it while putting a small wooden chair in front to be used as a table so he could still play with his toys and booksused a table for his toys/books.

It took few days for him to do first wee but as we made such a big fuss he did several more that day. Each time he does a wee he gets a little sticker to stick on the potty.

On the 4th day he did first (unbelievably huge) poo, so he got a bigger sticker and a biscuit.
We are keeping him naked in the house but putting nappy when out or going to bed. But its a start!
He loves to sit on the potty now as looks like his own little throne covered in stickers.

Good luck!! Just keep trying different things to occupy her while sitting on potty as eventually she will do something and when she does you'll feel like all the hard work paid off.

BeHereNow Mon 04-Aug-08 17:13:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

childrenknowyourlimits Mon 04-Aug-08 20:51:47

My advice is to try to get her to sit on it perhaps after her bath initially & read her a favourite story. That's what I did with my DS1 & 2. Then when she is happy to sit on it at least, try to have a couple of full days at home so you can have uninterrupted time with it and wearing no nappy or pants. I think wearing pants confuses them because it feels like a nappy. I also used blatant bribery & it worked a treat! Every time my DS did a wee or poo on the potty, I would give him a sweet & loads of praise & clapping etc etc. Am currently doing this with DS2 at the moment and he has cottoned on to idea that he gets a treat so doing a wee every 20 mins! Now he is only getting a sweet after a poo so only a few days of sugar overdosing! Good luck!

flowerfairy Mon 04-Aug-08 21:10:38

My ds was 2.7 yrs and showed no interest in potty trainng at all. I used to keep the potty in front of the tv and encourage him to sit on so at least he was amused while watching it. Did occasionally have to say would turn tv off if he didn't sit on it. (i know some of you are shaking your heads at me). Always made afuss when he did something in potty, watched for when he was doing a poo and quickly got him on it. Never had any problems then about pooing on potty. Just keep putting them on at regular intervals.

My best advice is to search messages looking for a cod boot camp. Best advice and stick to it and your dc will graduate to being fully potty trained.

mumabear Tue 05-Aug-08 14:18:02

so pleased she just had a wee on potty for a piece of chocolate. made big fuss of her . its a start

leoemma Tue 05-Aug-08 16:59:09

my ds is 3 next week and we started yesterday, loads of accidents including having to strip the sofa and prevent dd (1) from sticking hands in the mess. However at 7pm last night before bed after dh had bought him a vinyla cut off to put under the potty he did a wee on the potty. He has a sticker in the potty that when they wee it shows a picture but is black otherwise and this is really working - he has only had one accident to day. Touch wood I have cracked it. Think tge sticker is called My Wee Friend.

mumabear Tue 05-Aug-08 22:33:04

hi leoemma please can u tell me were u brought this my we friend. i am new to mumsnet can u tell me what dd and ds and any others mean thanks.

simpson Tue 05-Aug-08 23:09:53

mamabear - I am in week 2 of toilet training Ds (dear son!!) He wanted to go straight to loo so thats what we did. He is also due to start pre school end of sept. Wees are going great he cracked them very quickly but poos a different matter sad DS is 2.11 BTW. He gets a smartie whenever he wees on loo which works well (too well think he might be demanding them when he is 21 grin ) Think that if your DD is stressed about potty training I would hold off a bit. Sept is ages away and when they are ready i think they get it pretty quickly. Having said that we still have to crack the poos hmm luckily he does not seem to poo much!!

leoemma Wed 06-Aug-08 19:28:42

Mumabear - I bought my wee friend off ebay but if you search for it then lots of stockists come up but vary from £1.99 to £2.99. Wees still going great but pooh seems to be a real issue!

mumabear Wed 06-Aug-08 23:57:52

hi today dd sat on potty a lot for a small square of chocolate but held of weeing till the afternoon when she asked for nappy iasked her if she would like to sit on potty but didnt make it.we very relaxed about it and dd happier to sit on it, think she waiting till she busting though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now