Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

No concept of pants!

(5 Posts)
quietlycontented Sun 03-Aug-08 14:02:18

Started potty training my 2.5 year old son last Monday (6 days ago). Just took off his nappy and kept him naked from the waist down. He is happy to wee and poo on his potty and does so on his own initiative. However, whenever I put anything on his lower half be it pants or shorts he just sits on the potty and performs through them. Any suggestions please as I'd like to be able to leave the house in the not too distant future!!!

Takeadeepbreath Sun 03-Aug-08 14:42:53

We had the same issue with our DS. I just got him to practice pulling pants up and down, reminded him that he needed to take pants down before sitting on potty and said I would help him if he needed it. You might find a sticker chart helpful, if he manages to pull pants down before weeing on potty he gets sticker, or something. Otherwise it will click, sounds like he is doing brilliantly, just be patient and offer reminders - good luck!

quietlycontented Sun 03-Aug-08 15:07:38

Thank you so much for those words of wisdom! I was so proud at the start of all this and now I'm desperate. I'm convinced that he's a little control freak as everytime I tell him about pulling his pants down or asking for help before he uses the potty he tells me that he's not going to and sure enough he doesn't! I've even bribed him with a police car (that's all he's inteseted in at the moment) if he pulls his pants down. We started with a reward chart and stickers, but that seems to have lost it's pull now.

ches Sun 03-Aug-08 16:31:11

You could try letting him teach a teddy how to use the loo. Put Teddy in a pair of undies and have him show Teddy how to take his pants down and sit on the potty, and rewards Teddy after going. That's the approach taken by the book "Potty Training in One Day."

quietlycontented Sun 03-Aug-08 16:47:07

Thanks for that! Will give the 'Teddy Approach' a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now