Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DD 3.2, dry during day since 2.2, not dry at night.......

(16 Posts)
Klaw Sun 03-Aug-08 12:32:34

...have tried encouraging her to go to toilet or potty before I go to bed, as we have tried leaving her in pants overnight for a few weeks. But she generally comes through to say she is wet at about 6am, and so the bed change ensues and then I can't get back to sleep for ages and am knackered for the rest of the day. But she usually then has a wee in the potty beside the bed before coming through to us when woken for the day

I really want to get disposables that do NOT keep her totally dry, I want them to give her signals that she can learn to recognise but yet not have to wash bedlinen EVERY fecking day! Or are there reasonably priced reusable pants that will not necessarily leak but will not keep her dry, iyswim?

I don't want to go back to the regular pull ups if possible, she obviously is managing fairly well, just not the whole way through the night.

Any tips greatfully received. IE do you think a reward chart might help? What about the fluids she takes during the day? She drinks quite a lot, which I'm glad about as I don't drink enough and know that's bad. I've read that drinks other than water make them pee more, is that right? Should i be restricting juice to meal times and insisting she only has water in between? She also has milk, mostly with drinky in it.

I have to get this working better for us soon as I go on call in September so can't be knackered like I am now. Thanks!

clayre Sun 03-Aug-08 12:35:32

no answers but ds is the same age and we have the same problem, he starts nursery in a few weeks and i thought we would be done by then, i will join you here for answers!

luckylady74 Sun 03-Aug-08 12:38:44

when a child is dry in the day has no bearing on when they are dry at night. My ds2 was dry in day at 2.5 and night at 2.9, his twin sister dry in day at same time and stillmhas very wet night nappies at 3.5 - I mhave no plans to try her without a nappy at night before it's dryish in the morning.
there is a hormone thaty the body produces to let the body go through the night - it can happen between 2 and 7rrs - I mmyself wasn't dry at night before I was 7 - I had no problems my body just wasn't ready!

TheOriginalXENA Sun 03-Aug-08 12:39:18

I have four dc's and they have all been dry at night at different times. DS1 was latest to be dry in the day but earliest at night.
My Sister has twin boys, one has been dry at night for nearly 18mths the other is still waking with a soaking wet nappy...

unfitmother Sun 03-Aug-08 12:43:58

She's 3 - have you considered ther propostion that she's not ready yet?

Klaw Sun 03-Aug-08 12:45:36

Hi Clayre, <<waves>>

I recognise we have to go back to some form of pullup, just unsure which one to go for, that will not seem like a backward step (to her) but will make it easier on both of us.

surely there are some that allow them to feel wet? Just all the ones in my local small town say 'super absorbant'...

she is great during the day, very rarely has an accident, so we are all happy there

<<don't you just love seeing the little tiny pants on the washing line? wink>>

gagarin Sun 03-Aug-08 12:51:23

Too early? Why the pressure? Is it because nanppies are expensive? Loads of dcs are not dry at night at her age and it is not really related to daytime dryness.

She's prob too young for a reward chart as that approach implies she has voluntary control over the issue - but she prob hasn't! Unless you think she's doing it on purpose?

Restricitng fluids is not a good idea as it can mean the bladder can only cope with smaller quantities.

Just leave her in nappies!

Klaw Sun 03-Aug-08 14:34:50

Yes, but my questions were:

should I encourage water between meals more instead of milk/juice? I do not want to restrict her fluid intake. She asks for juice/milk a lot!

and which pullups would be recommended that are not as absorbent, so that she may be more aware? Or are there none on the market, either disposable or reusable?

I was sure that when I was in the Big supermarket in the city I saw some that were supposed to allow some sensation of wetness, but these are not available in small town supermarket. Do I drive through today, and risk a wasted journey cos they don't exist/are not recommended?

I know we have to wait and try again, I'm looking for information to help me choose which pullups I am going to buy, please

clayre Sun 03-Aug-08 15:37:21

hello klaw <waves back>

the new huggies night time pull ups are not very absorbant, i bought them and had to change ds sheets every morning, i guess that means they meant to tell them when they are wet and ds is not ready to come off night nappies

misdee Sun 03-Aug-08 15:52:51

reusuables, i think motherease bedweetter pants are absorbant adnw il lallow her to feel wet.

MamaGLovesMe Sun 03-Aug-08 15:54:28

DS1 - dry in day at 3 1/2.
dry at night at 7.3.

DD - dry in day at 23 months
Dry at night - not yet age 5 and a day

DS2 - dry in the day at 2 1/2
dry at night - no where near at 3.1.

foxythesnowfox Sun 03-Aug-08 15:56:18

Huggies did do a pull up which were meant to feel damp so LO would know. In reality, the pattern on the front faded when wet and they didn't really work.

I've gone to Lidl pull-ups, DD1 loves them because they are a bit 'frilly' and not as padded. They still do the job though.

Klaw Sun 03-Aug-08 17:45:21

It's Lidl Pullups that I usually used unless there was a good deal in the major brands in the Big supermarkets...

Well, I've just been to the city and picked up a pack of Pampers Feel and Learn, to see how she goes with them as they're supposed to let them feel wetness, otherwise Huggies Pullups are BOGOF till the 12th. So will bear this in mind once I see how the Pampers go. Actually Tesco's own pullups are ok as well. I haven't tried the night time pullups at all, the ordinary pullups have always been sufficient so far.

Am going to try and encourage more water drinking instead of using Hi-juice to see if that makes any difference.

Oh the joys of parenthood! grin I cannot remember for the life of me how I managed with ds (nearly 15)... obviously never had any problems as I don't remember, but just cannot recall how I approached it, and what I did without the interweb wink

Klaw Sun 03-Aug-08 17:47:11

MamaGLovesMe, how was Dd's birthday yesterday?

eandh Sun 03-Aug-08 17:54:51

dd1 was dry in day at 2.1 but took till 3.8 to 'grasp' the idea of getting up and having a wee, once she recognised the feeling and did it she has never wet the bed since (fingers crossed)

TBH when she was in pull ups they all seemed very absorbant and she would wet them because she knew she had one on, her making/knowing the decision to be dry was the only way it worked smile

good luck!!

MamaGLovesMe Sun 03-Aug-08 18:09:50

It was lovely, thank you Klaw.

We went swimming, had chips and ice cream in the park and then her Uncle and grandparents came over in the afternoon.

DD seemed to enjoy herself though DH and I were a bit miffed. DS1 commented on how he got more presents from GPs (true) and I had to ask if DD could have hers as they left them in the hall and didn't give them to her.

I said to DS1 that was because he was the golden boy as I have had enough of them favouring the boys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now