Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Fuzzi bunz problems

(19 Posts)
OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:33:03

Hello, does anyone else have any issues with fuzzi bunz nappies? They seem very prone to leaking, the wee just seems to leech (sp?) out if he is sat too long on them even if they are not actually that wet (ie I would expect this if I left them on for hours all full up but I change pretty frequently). I am used to tucking all the fleecey bits in and away but this doesnt always help. Anyone sorted this out somehow...?

Also, and worse to my mind, they smell as soon as he wees in them. I know the smelly nappy issue has been resopnded to before but I really have tried more/less/different powders, more rinsing, hotter water, colder water, soda...I just wondered if my expectations are unrealistic. I used disposables with DC1 and to my mind they didnt smell badly of wee, but do they have deoderisers? Or should reusables smell no worse? Thanks for any tips.

4andnotout Fri 01-Aug-08 14:37:44

I have the same leaking problem with our relatively new fuzzi's, she ends up with a wet patch where she has been sitting rather than the leg holes iykwim. She is changed every 3 hours if not sooner, i have resorted to added an a hemp insert but this makes them bulky. Haven't had any wee smell issues though, when i used disposables on dd3 on holiday the smell of her made me gag in the morning, i think the airflow wraps we use at night contain a lot more of the smells!

cmotdibbler Fri 01-Aug-08 14:38:57

What are you stuffing them with ? I found that they tend to leak unless you use the shaped inserts which fit up against the sides properly. I put two inserts in mine for extra absorbency

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:40:30

4andnotout- Can I ask how you wash them ie what with, on their own or with general wash, what temp etc?

I did find they leaked worse when they were new incidentally so it may improve for you!

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:42:19

cmotdibbler - just use the insert things they come with, not sure i could use two since DS is a chubster and can only just get his over sized trousers over his backside as it is grin

4andnotout Fri 01-Aug-08 14:43:18

I do all nappies together, my routine is...
Dry pail
Cold rinse
40 degree wash with 15ml of persil bio concentrate
extra rinse
line/airer dry depending on weather.

4andnotout Fri 01-Aug-08 14:44:32

Oh and a good slosh of vinegar in the fabric softener drawer!

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:45:22

Ah. I wonder about the air drying. Something rings a bell here. Could tumble drying somehow be an issue I wonder? I always tumble dry.

4andnotout Fri 01-Aug-08 14:48:23

I would have thought it would have made them fluffier and absorb more, in winter i use the tumbler if i have to but dp is a tight arse so it's mainly airer!

BigBadMousey Fri 01-Aug-08 14:53:55

They are usually very good. Where are they leaking from?

I'm guessing you are using microfibre inserts. They really are prone to holding in smells. That said you're expectations are not unrealistic - IME disposables smell worse. tbh, I don't thnk the hot, damp weather helps the issue. There is a school of thought that MF holds onto smells more due to it not being dried properly between uses and stored semi-damp. The thinking is that the outer fibres dry far quicker than the inner ones and the fabrc is stored away too early and never dries properly. I'm not convinced and beleive it is actually down the very high surface area MF has (meaning it has more smell-holding capacity). BG do a spray for their inserts to stop them smelling - not needed it myself so not sure it is any good. I can link to it if you like. Not sure what else to suggest if you have tried everything mentioned on previous threads. Have you done a service wash on your machine? - that can help a lot.

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:54:37

Yes, no probs with fluffiness and at least they arent like cardboard! I meant perhaps all that hot air might make pongs worse...? Just googled it and think Im clutching at straws tho! I think Im going to try a different powder again and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

BigBadMousey Fri 01-Aug-08 14:55:33

blush - there was only the OP when I started typing grin. Probably just repeated everyone else's post!

BigBadMousey Fri 01-Aug-08 14:57:36

It's very likely made a lot worse by tumble drying them - do you use a washer drier?

BigBadMousey Fri 01-Aug-08 14:59:32

because MF hates hot /humid conditions like you get in a tumble drier - recipe for diaster (washer driers are worse as they tend to be more humid...

...right, going to shut up now. DS has stopped BFing - horray! grin

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 15:03:08

Not at all, that was helpful BBM! Wonder if you are onto something re: the surface dry and maybe not inside of the insert.They are after all quite thick. Will check that out.

Probably a really really dim question now, but is white wine vinegar the same as white vinegar or will DS instead end up smelling like a bowl of salad if I use it..? grin

4andnotout Fri 01-Aug-08 15:04:36

I have used both when dp bought white wine vinegar rather than plain white vinegar, i didn't notice any difference tbh but they may be me being dense!

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 15:05:10

Apologies for a bit of x posting BBM - thanks for the thoughts on tumble drying, will give it a miss for a bit

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 15:06:36

Toddler awake - must dash, thanks for all the comments! Will check back later for any more words of wisdom.

magicfairy Sat 02-Aug-08 15:42:33

i found fuzzi bunz to leak real bad, no matter what stuffed with and how washed, i also had the stink to and never tumbled them. in the end the inside sticky bit got all stuck together and ripped so i chucked them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now