Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do I get urine sample from 20 month girl?

(16 Posts)
Mishee Fri 01-Aug-08 14:03:47

DD is 'failing to thrive' (guess how that makes me feel) and I need to collect a urine sample in the pot we had to use when pregnant. Now that was hard enough and we knew what we had to do! I have spent the morning chasing DD round with the specimen bottle and managed to get 2 wet patches on the carpet, 2 on me and a big puddle in the high chair (she was sitting in a plastic bag by this point). Has anyone got any good ideas for when I'm told the 3 drops I managed to collect is not enough?
Thanks x

WilfSell Fri 01-Aug-08 14:09:24

potty? bribes?

belgo Fri 01-Aug-08 14:10:26

Did they not give you are special bag to attach to her underneath her nappy?

africanviolet Fri 01-Aug-08 14:11:35

The GP surgery can give you a U-bag, a plastic bag you can stick on to collect the urine.

whoops Fri 01-Aug-08 14:11:50

when I needed to get one from dd I sat her on the potty although I had been given one of those sterile foil things so it was then easy to transfer into the specimen bottle
When ds was first transfered from one hospital to another when he was in scbu they put a cotton wool ball in his nappy to get a sample from him

watsthestory Fri 01-Aug-08 14:12:19

Message withdrawn

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 14:12:27

Put some cotton wool pads in her nappy, wait until she has weed a couple of times, take the nappy off, and with clean hands, wring the cotton wool out into the sample pot.

Mishee Fri 01-Aug-08 14:14:06

No, Dr said they don't use the taped bags anymore (tried to make my own - don't ask!). She's not using a potty yet, so that wouldn't work. I did fill her up with lemonade (bad mummy!) to make her go more, but she just went in the wrong places! Also, she has very good bladder control when she wants, so for example she had her nappy off all morning but from waking at 8am, she didn't go until half ten - that's a lot of following and watching.

OlderNotWiser Fri 01-Aug-08 14:18:23

If all else fails just sit close to her with a small container and wait...it'll come eventually. This was what I had to do in hospital when my DC2 was 7 weeks old. Seemed a bit of a hmmway of doing it but it did the trick after a couple of hours! Tho admittedly DC was no doubt a lot less mobile then yours so sorry if thats totally unhelpful.

Mishee Fri 01-Aug-08 14:22:10

Thanks for that, I'm going to try the cotton wool trick.

bamboostalks Fri 01-Aug-08 14:26:01

Don't answer if you feel it is too personal but in what way is she failing to thrive? Is it weight gain?

africanviolet Fri 01-Aug-08 14:29:05

They do still use the taped bags, ask the nurse at your surgery for one.

laura325630 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:36:05

We were in the hospital with 7 week old dd yesterday and they put 3 cotton wool balls in her nappy and used those. Would she where a nappy or something similar so you could this?

JoyS Fri 01-Aug-08 18:02:47

Ask for a collection kit, it has a sterile bowl and funnel so you can collect the pee in the bowl and transfer it to the little tube.

Try holding DD up to the sink and running the water over her hands. It's a 2-person job but worked a treat when we had to do it a while ago.

Good luck! Nothing more fun than following a kid around all day waiting for pee.

nct73 Sat 02-Aug-08 22:48:58

I did the cotton wool trick but was then told not suitable and had to get "mid flow". So had to do the chasing around as would not sit on potty for long (was 17 mo). Took several attempts. laid out waterproof backed picnic rugs so could just stick in washing machine after - much less stressful than worrying about floor or furniture. good luck.

Mishee Sun 03-Aug-08 21:58:12

Bamboostalks, only just seen your message. Yes, her failing to thrive is due to her lack of weight gain in last 3 months and falling 2 centiles on the chart. I think she looks quite healthy and she certainly isn't skin and bones. It's not a nice expression,, is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now