Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Large real nappies

(12 Posts)
WiggleyWorm Wed 30-Jul-08 16:33:13

Hello! I was looking for a bit of advice really...my son is 2 years old and is coming up to 2 1/2 stone and is quite tall for his age.

The problem I have is that we currently use Bambino Mio nappies but the largest size is getting to small for him now. I have no intention of potty training until well after christmas as he is so not ready to do it now, also new baby is due in a couple of weeks and I could just do without the extra hassle of potty training! I just can't seem to find any real nappies that would be big enough to carry over to after Christmas. It just seems like a big waste to switch to disposables now after all this time. Does anyone have any recommendations for nappies that are bigger than 35lb?

suncream Wed 30-Jul-08 16:41:06

My ds is coming up to 2 & 15.7kg (think that's around the same weight as your ds?) and he's got such chubby thighs that he's been in the largest size of fuzzis for ages. He's got a big bum too, so although he's not massively tall for his age I think they'd be ok for your son. Actually, he's in disposables at night (he sleeps better in them) & there's only the largest size Huggies that fit him, Pampers are no good as they're too tight round his legs, bless him.
I worry about it, but am assured by MIL that dh was the same & now he's a beanpole.

GrinningGorilla Wed 30-Jul-08 16:45:10

Have you tried the terry squares, they can be folded different ways to suit the size of your child. I used them with my first until he was about 2.9 and he was over the centiles for weight & height. The only problem I found was the plastic pants were a bit scarce in the 35lb+ sizes and in the end got too tight around the thighs. You could buy one and give them a try.

BigBadMousey Wed 30-Jul-08 17:05:35

SOME IDEAS HERE

The bumper is huge apparently - not tried it myself.

Ellas house day nappies are very good for larger / taller babies - just tried one on my DD1 for you. It fits her with room to spare on the poppers and now she won't take it off angry - she is 4.3 and nearly 18Kg about 106cm tall. They aren't much use if you don't ahve a tumble drier unless you are happy to have them a bit crispy if line dried (they are hemp)

I can send you one to try out if you like as I have loads smile

tutu100 Wed 30-Jul-08 19:37:38

I'd reccomend getting some fuzzi bunz. You can stuff them with your prefolds. We used them on our ds when he outgrew the rise of all his size 2 nappies as he was very tall and long in the body.

I found they worked really well as my ds loved the bright colours. I think large would probably fit your ds. Also I found when we approached potty training they could be pulled up and down which was handy.

needaholiday Wed 30-Jul-08 20:22:09

large quick flips are good too for bigger babies. they have a long rise and go up to an approximate 27 inch waist size. You have to go through nappyelite to get them as they're all hand made to order.

flowerfairy Wed 30-Jul-08 21:26:44

I used fuzzi bunz for my ds who was always big for age which fitted for ages and like tutu says you can add as little or as much padding as you like. Seem to remember people telling me that they had good resale value too. Though it's coming upto 2 yrs ago since i used reusable nappies. HTH

nct73 Sat 02-Aug-08 22:59:59

Slightly different problem but same feeling. LO (20 mo)is in large Junior Joy wraps (up to 35lb) and prefolds. She is not chunky. They fit round middle no problem -actually meet in middle but this causes legs too low cut and so rub. It as though they arent long enough. Like WW I feel would be a waste to give up now & move to disposables but not ready to potty train. She is also a nightmare wriggler, back crawler,flipoverer which doesnt help. Are there pull up wraps that can be used with prefolds like disposable pullups for when still needs nappy rather than trainer pants?

Octothechildherder Sun 03-Aug-08 20:07:44

I am selling a bumper at the moment - have a lilac one with poppers that I used on ds2 and two extra large covers smile Happy to accept £10 for the lot inc postage smile I also have two quite large wahm nappies I acquired which you can have for free with the others!

CarGirl Sun 03-Aug-08 20:09:28

easypeasy bumbles are very long in the rise and you can boost them with whatever you want. This is what I used on my tall and large dd in XL motherease airflow!

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 20:18:55

Have been looking into this too!

DD just turned 2, and although can identify potty, has totally regressed since DS was born.

Anyway, my short list is:

1. Sandy's Toddler ease - these are big, and like the Sandy's Large. Not the greatest night nappy.

2. Thirsties - micro fleece that go to about 40 lbs. And really cute colors smile

misdee Sun 03-Aug-08 20:29:09

dd2 was huge at a year old, she went straight into tots bots size 3's and XL motherease airflows. this was 5years ago though, so things make have got even better since then, but i found them brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now