Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2.5 yr old will use the potty/ toilet but won't ask for it? waits for me to keep asking him?

(3 Posts)
milkybarsrus Tue 29-Jul-08 20:54:42

My 2.5 year old is getting to grips with toilet training, but my problem is that he never seems to ask or tell me he wants to go. If I ask him to do a wee on the potty or toilet he usually goes, but left to his own devices he seems to 'forget' and thats when we get accidents. His speach is brilliant so i know thats not the problem, so if anyone has had a similar problem then please can i have some ideas?

SlowDown Tue 29-Jul-08 22:14:51

Oh yes, I have this with my 4 year old, if that makes you feel any better! He sits there and wobbles, but puts off going and then often has an accident. At least yours is only 2.5!! I am not sure what's best. Maybe it is to concentrate on when they do take the initiative and praise those times. By 4 they should be able to sort themselves out but not sure about 2.5. Anyone else?

SlowDown Tue 29-Jul-08 22:17:48

Thinking about it more, I might try and follow my own advice and try not ever reminding in the next few days. Then if he has an accident, ignore it and get him to change his own clothes (can do with assistance). Then when he does take initiative and go by himself, lots of praise and sticker or smartie. I've gotten too used to reminding him all the time....maybe its not helping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now