Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Still lifting at night a 5year old?

(12 Posts)
Ripeberry Tue 29-Jul-08 10:39:58

Hi, just a question, did any of you "lift" your children at night and put them on the toilet and get them to wee?
A friend has advised me that she still does this for her 5yr old, but she has NEVER left her alone for one night to see how she would do.
Just think it's a bit extreme.

Seona1973 Tue 29-Jul-08 12:56:40

I didnt lift dd when she first came out of nappies at night. After a few months she started wetting the bed so we lifted her before we went to bed for a couple of months. We then stopped lifting her and she was dry again. We only did it to combat the wetting and once that worked we stopped again.

SaveFerris Tue 29-Jul-08 13:08:21

DD (6 in Sept) still wets the bed at night. Very occasionally I will lift her - if I am in work the next day and basically cannot be bothered to try to get 2 dc's out of the house and beds stripped and get myself to work before 9am. Occasionally she won't wet the bed - mostly she will. Its a nightmare.

However, I cannot understand why your friend lifts when possibly not necessary. DS (3 years old) has been dry through the night since aged 2. If he wants a wee, he gets up.

I find lifting makes DD tired too, as I make sure she is fully awake and able to walk to the toilet herself.

fayeso Wed 30-Jul-08 13:43:21

I lift my DD as she only came out of nappies at Christmas(she is 5).

For some reason it just took her a long time to be able to stay dry at night-she is a heavy sleeper.

She probably would be fine but on the occasions I have not done it she sometimes wets herself at 5 in the morning but wakes herself up. So she is nearly there!

TBH I am not at all worried-I have learnt by having 3 children that they are all different and not to get stressed about things like this.

dipper03 Wed 30-Jul-08 21:47:10

my 5yr old still wets big time at nite. he asks for pull-ups cos embarrassed in mornings if bed wet.blush day trained since almost 3yrs but just cant go any length at sleep time?? he is 3rd child others had no probs at bedtime

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 30-Jul-08 21:49:27

I gave up, he was wetting the bed anyway. Now he wears a pull up.

dipper03 Wed 30-Jul-08 21:56:52

same same.i spoke to health reps and they said to just go with it?? have tried all the worn out trials of no liquid after 7, toilet before bed etc... thank god for pull up huh lol

needaholiday Thu 31-Jul-08 19:43:21

if it saves the issue of a wet bed then lifting is a good plan. sometimes if any of ours have had an early night (not often) we'll shift them out to the loo late on. I guess it could lead to them depending on being sent out to the loo instead of learning to do it themselves, but then they don't do the washing and really it is a small thing to do for them.

fedupandisolated Thu 31-Jul-08 19:59:20

I have tried lifting and not lifting, night time pants (pull ups basically) and not. No difference as far as I can tell in how wet DS is.

Am guessing he just is not ready yet (or his body isn't at least).

Hoping that it will get less of an issue over the next two years.

fedupandisolated Thu 31-Jul-08 20:00:59

Our Children's continence nurse says not to lift though - says that the child is then weeing semi concious - not fully awake.

needaholiday Thu 31-Jul-08 20:52:59

I think it's just a case of what works and waiting till they're ready. If there was a magic answer someone would be very rich grin

lindseyfox Tue 05-Aug-08 18:37:29

unless a child is very very awake ie can hold a conversation and remember it the next morning all lifting does is encourage a child to wee whilst asleep. Has no benefits in the long run, ok have a dry bed each night but doesnt teach child anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now