Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Day 5 of Potty Training and I'm not sure whether to carry on...

(7 Posts)
Takeadeepbreath Mon 28-Jul-08 14:50:40

Started potty training my DD (2 years and 5 months) 5 days ago and it is proving quite difficult. Before we discarded the nappies she would sit on the potty before bathtime or at other times of the day, often producing nothing but would sit happily for ages with the occasional success of wee or poo. Now that we have swapped nappies for pants, she knows when she needs to go, is adamant that she wants dry pants and doesn't want to do it on the floor. However when she actually needs the toilet she gets upset, cries hysterically and refuses to go on the potty or toilet. After 5 days we have only had a couple of successes and therefore she only has a couple of stickers on her chart but thats all.

Can't seem to get her to willingly or voluntarily sit on potty.So far I am staying calm about accidents, am taking her to toilet with me, have explained that there is nothing to be worried about etc...and tryinggentle encouragement when i know that she needs to go , all to no avail. Any ideas please? Sorry its such a long one!

Nettee Mon 28-Jul-08 15:56:35

I would go back to nappies for a bit and take the pressure off. If you get back to your happy occaisional wees on the potty then give it another month or so and try again. Mind you I am a bit of a quitter and lots of people say give it time and keep trying and they might suprise you on day 10 or something.

Seeline Mon 28-Jul-08 15:59:23

If she's getting upset, I'd go back to nappies and try in a couple of months. I did that with DS who was 3.6 before he was out of nappies during the day. But having tried when he was younger and met with disaster, the second attempt was so much better!

justaphase Mon 28-Jul-08 16:04:18

We had this with DS at a similar age. I gave up after a week. Then I drew a star chart and explained to him that when he is ready to try again he will get Bertie for his Thomas set. It took a few months of reminding him about it but one day he asked for the potty, did a poo and demanded his Bertie. We started training him again a week later and it was much less stressful.

strawberriesandcream01 Mon 28-Jul-08 20:00:40

Hi there.

I started potty training my 23 month old a week last friday. It has been up and down and she is in pants most of the time. It has been hard work and some days are better than others. She knows when she needs to go and does get the potty and sit on it. She does cry when she needs a poo and im abit stuck at the mo about the poo situation and I nearly did give up a few days ago but thought no I cant quit so I havent and she is doing well really.

If you have been doing it for 5 days I would urge you to carry on and not give up now, just keep reminding her of the potty. There is no way I am giving up now after getting this far, give it a few more days.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 28-Jul-08 20:21:20

My dd is also 2.5 and we potty trained her in a few days last week. If your dd is 5 days in and still refusing to go then I would leave it for a bit. No point in pushing things before they are ready.

Takeadeepbreath Mon 28-Jul-08 21:41:12

Thanks for the advice, really dont want to give up yet, but think i will give it a few more days and see how things go, may even resort to bribery - possibly worth a shot - what do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now