Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do you get them to poo?

(13 Posts)
xmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 09:49:07

Hello

My DS (just about to turn 27 months) and I have started potty training this week (4th day today). It is going pretty well, yesterday we had no wee accidents and by the end of the day he was telling me when he needed to wee (we have gone straight to pants method), this morning has been slightly less successful. We have slowly been building up to this - having the potty around the house for the last 6 months or so, where he sporadically wees and poo'd twice, with lots of rewards, praise, books etc.

The only trouble is he will not now poo in the potty and seems to get quite stressed about it. I know it is early days and i don't want to stress him out, but I wondered if anyone had any tips and also general potty training tips, so that I can keep the momentum etc.

Also he goes to nursery mon to wed, they said they will what follow what we do - but wondered how other parents have dealt with this?

Many thanks in advance
x

potxola Sun 27-Jul-08 16:00:10

Hi,
You probably don't agree with me. I waited till April when my ds was 3.7 years old and he was potty trained in a week, after that came the poos 2 and it happened in a couple of days.
It depends, my ds only wanted to do it when he was able to feel proud about the achievement,he did not care till then. That is why I waited and I has worked.

I made a chart and with every pi he would get a sticker shape, when ge got 10 I would get him a little car. Then I did the same with the poos, but the presents were bigger. I still have to get him to do the poos in the toilet instead of the potty, but I am not worried, it will happen when he wants.

Take it easy. If he feels stressed out about it, it could make him feel bad about the whole thing. Have a break from it, do not mention it to him. He would want to make you happy next time you try. Boys take longer.
You are doing great.
I am about to have my second baby and I will also wait till she is ready. Each child is different and we tend to compare too much.

xmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 17:08:22

Thanks for the advice - DS is defo ready for the wees - today we went out and he slept so was dry for about 3.5 hours, then woke up and told us he wanted a wee - was great and he has barely had an accident and gets it - telling us when he wants to do a wee (most the time!)

I wonder whether you are right about the poo thing as he seems to be quite embarrassed about doing them - we had a talk with him explaining if he wanted to do it on the potty and we would go away and leave him in peace, but he said no. He is happy to do poos in his pants and be cleaned it - we are encouraging him with rewards, leaving it at that - and hoping he will get it in time, I assume when the time is right for him?

Shame, I thought there might be some magic cure out there
hmm

needaholiday Sun 27-Jul-08 18:34:24

if you ever do find a magic cure you'll be a millionaire overnight grin I agree completely to wait until they're really ready, and if he is happy to wee already that is a huge achievement. Can he wear a pant style nappy such as a minki yoyo for example, so he can use it as pants to pull up and down for a wee, but it would be able to hold the poo until he is ready to use the pot for those?

AllBuggiedOut Sun 27-Jul-08 18:42:30

Have you tried leaving him with pants off and leaving him alone - say playing in his room or in front of the TV? Obviously this approach works best if he tends to poo at the same time each day, but it worked for DS1. He usually did one after lunch. I tried sitting him in front of the telly while I got on with stuff around him, but he produced nothing, As soon as I put pants on him and he went to his room for after-lunch quiet time, he did one straight away. So the next few days I took off the pants, left him and a potty in his room and, hey presto, poo in potty! Once he'd done it a few times he found it easier to do with me around. HTH!

xmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 21:37:18

Needaholiday I have never heard of the minki yoyo - will look it up, as a back up plan - all worth a try - thanks so much for the tip - hey thats a thought though - find a cure and get rich... (wink)

allbuggiedout - that sounds a great idea i might try that too - my mom suggested something similar today about putting the nappy in the bathroom (fortunately we live in a bungalow) - he is sort of regular - so might be a plan - fingers crossed - I will shout it if it works

x

potxola Mon 28-Jul-08 10:28:56

Good luck.
xmummy My ds feels so proud about doing poos in the potty now that he goes 4 times a day, because he knows he will get a shape sticker and a present when he has 9. (3 weeks ago he was doing them in his pull ups)

I made the mistake of talking to him about doing it in the toilet, but nothing, he is very happy with his achievement in the potty and I should not ruin it.
We need to leave them to decide when they are ready.

SoupKitchen Mon 28-Jul-08 10:54:52

we started potty training a fortnight age - straight to pants as well.
DS 2.4 got the wee bit straight off and touch wood has been dry during the day for a week, and is now also dry at nights.
BUT he did have an issue with pooing on the potty hence lots of dirty pants.
I am not sure if it something to do with different angles IYSWIM.
Anyway in the last 2 days he has seemed to have sussed it , and very proud he is of himself.

I would say persevere if he has the wee sussed, and good luck.

BTW, I bought cheap pants from tesco, that worked out less than pull ups. So if the inevitable accident happenned whilst out I could just bin the pants, and did not feel we were taking a backward step, with pullups.

SoupKitchen Mon 28-Jul-08 10:54:53

we started potty training a fortnight age - straight to pants as well.
DS 2.4 got the wee bit straight off and touch wood has been dry during the day for a week, and is now also dry at nights.
BUT he did have an issue with pooing on the potty hence lots of dirty pants.
I am not sure if it something to do with different angles IYSWIM.
Anyway in the last 2 days he has seemed to have sussed it , and very proud he is of himself.

I would say persevere if he has the wee sussed, and good luck.

BTW, I bought cheap pants from tesco, that worked out less than pull ups. So if the inevitable accident happenned whilst out I could just bin the pants, and did not feel we were taking a backward step, with pullups.

tazmosis Sat 02-Aug-08 17:22:09

Both my DD's used to get really upset when they poo'd in the loo or potty and used to do it in their pants. I'm afraid I bribed them with a square of chocolate each time they did one in the loo...blush. It worked for both of them.

Roboshua Sat 02-Aug-08 17:43:00

Never had an isse with DS1 and toilet training. He decided one day he wanted to do wees and poss on the potty and that was it.

With DS2 wees not a problem. Poos are a different matter. He never does poos at nursery (even when he was still a bay in nappies). However when he is at home he is constantly doing little poos in his pants. The biggest issue really for me was that when we went on holiday for a week he did not poo AT ALL (although didn't seem uncomfortable!?). However on the way back to the airport we had a weeks worth come out!!! (Sorry if you're eating!!!). This have happended a couple of other times when we've been away from home for a few days and it's not good.

I have tired desperately to get him into some sort of poo routine and we do seem to be getting there. The things which progressed this were:

1. A sweet if he did a poo on the potty (henceforth known as poo sweets!!!) Stickers or presents really didn't work but i think that's down to DS2s personality.

2. Asking regularly if he needed a poo(but not nagging). He tends to get very engrossed in activities and seems to 'forget' (although this is not an issue with wees)

3. Not getting cross if he did a poo in his pants. I would still put him an the potty and tell him he'd do better next time. Certianly getting cross was counter productive. DP does get cross and it really makes the situation worse. DP also doesn't ask regularly ask if he wants a poo and also if DS2 says he needs a poo doesn't go and get him a potty if it's not immediately available.

ajm200 Sat 02-Aug-08 18:07:29

Our 20 month old has been dry in the day for a few weeks but was reluctant to poo in the potty and would go in his pants or on the floor.

I downed tools for two days, did no housework and watched him like a hawk. When i saw the signs that he was pooing i grabbed him and dumped him on the nearest potty. It worked and by day 3 he was pooing in the pot.

We had family round the other day and he forgot about the potty and had a mishap.. my hubby and mother decided between them that rather than deal with it quietly, they'd yell and my mum smacked him (he is NEVER smacked). Now he won't poo in the potty or even in his mappy if someone is around. He thinks pooing is naughty. Poor little fella...

so we are back to square one but with added complications.

xmummy Mon 04-Aug-08 21:05:00

Thanks for the posts and suggestions - most welcome thank you, I am going to try them all. AJM200 your poor little boy, i bet you were bloody cross with your family after that! Good luck - it seems had you got it sorted. I think to be honest I am going to have to down tools and do nothing and try our your method.

DS is doing amazing with wee's, asks for the potty, will do it when you put him on and even sits on it himself when he needs one or tells us and has even been dry in the night - but alas wont do a poo all the time.

He has done a couple of poo's since we started potty training - we even promised him a party, which we did with candles, hats, balloons and all - but it has not consistently worked. Now he is back at nursery and he had an accident today and they put him in nappies, which I am cross about as it may put him back - not sure what to do about this...understand they dont want mess with poo - but want him to continue as he is at home.....If anyone has any advice about dealing with the nursery - I would welcome any tips.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now