Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable nappies for premature babies?

(12 Posts)
KashaSarrasin Sat 26-Jul-08 23:05:41

DS2 was born at 31 weeks weighing 3lbs, still in SCBU at the moment but we're hoping he'll be able to come home in a few weeks, by which time hopefully he'll be around 5lbs. I'd already been working on a cloth nappy stash for him but I think my size 1 totsbots and fluffles are going to be way too big - good job I only have a few of each! So now I'm looking for cloth nappies that will fit from when he comes home for as long as possible.

I was looking at Diddy Diapers - does anyone have any experience of using these on tiny babies? Does anyone have any other suggestions? (I liked the look of the diddy diapers as they're so cheap).

And what about wraps? I have some small ME rikki and airflow but are these going to be too big and leaky?

mum2oandh Sat 26-Jul-08 23:10:34

You can just use muslins folded like terries, beaufifully soft and very quick to dry.

ilovemydog Sat 26-Jul-08 23:12:20

motherease sandy's extra small. used on ds who was 5.5lbs at birth...

lisad123 Sat 26-Jul-08 23:12:38

I nkow when I had Jaz some lovely MNetters sent me some kisaluvs, which were tiny. I have passed them on now, but I rememeber someone was trying to sort out a rental set for tiny LOs

BigBadMousey Sat 26-Jul-08 23:45:15

bimbles (the size 0 not the new btp), kisaluvs, sandys extra small, extra small fuzzi bunz (fleece lined pocket nappy), muslins, diddy diapers are all good, popular newborn cloth nappies.

All of these should give a good fit and be reliable apart from possibly the fuzzi bunz which might give you leaks. The muslins, bimbles and Diddy diapers would get my vote and are quite cheap - I think the Diddy diapers fit for longer thsn the bimble. The Sandys take quite a long time to dry - if that isn't a problem then maybe consider the bamboo version for extra softness as it isn't much more expensive than the cotton version. A bamboo sandy would not hang about for very long on the second hand market so you could recoup costs that way.

The size 1 original tots will be huge but if your fluffle is nippa fit that might fit quite soon (lovely nappy btw)

Wrap wise you will definitely need the XS rikkis and airflows. I have some cotton bottom wraps here which are tiny - I can send them to you if you would like them, I think they have seen very little use.

If you want to see a fluffle and a sandys on a newborn then have a look at the photos on my profile. DS was 8lb 2 at birth though so he went straight into cloth without the need for anything too small.

hth and hope you get him home soon.

cmotdibbler Sun 27-Jul-08 14:21:37

DS was born at 35 weeks, although quite chunky at 6lb 5oz. We used the XS Sandys which def fit from 5lbs and are very cute. You can get XS Airflows and Rikkis now too, although the small Rikki did fit DS, and as long as they cover the nappy you'll be fine if they are a bit big.

needaholiday Sun 27-Jul-08 18:41:30

you could always try a mini sized kiwi quick flip- they are really tiny and designed specifically for babies under 8lb. The owners made it when their own baby was born too small for a small size. They're a bit like hens teeth though at the moment.
Also the nappyelite small wraps are adorable and do up quite small, and nature babies small wraps in farm print look really adorable on tiny babies.
Don't worry about the wraps you have being too big and leaky. as long as you have a well fitting nappy underneath then they'll just protect clothes and bedding (and you) from wet patches.

overthemill Sun 27-Jul-08 18:49:02

we got prem size ones from our washable nappy person (we hired and they washed them). they were a bit big tbh but it was ok. i kept one of them and i cannot believe my big girl (now 9!) was ever that tiny!!

overthemill Sun 27-Jul-08 18:49:23

ooh forgot to say, good luck i hope all goes well for you

needaholiday Sun 27-Jul-08 23:51:45

it's amazng how small tiny babies really are though isn't it? when you look at the size they get to it is hard to imagine the small days. And yes, good luck.

Neenztwinz Mon 28-Jul-08 13:41:14

I used terries on my DTs (4lb8oz and 6lb at birth) with normal size wraps (Motherease, Modern Baby and Totsbots wraps). They drowned in them but they were very good.

Now I find my shaped nappies (oneLife) are better at keeping in leaks. The terries leaked less when they were smaller (probably pooed less!)

KashaSarrasin Thu 31-Jul-08 23:16:13

Thanks everyone - sorry for posting and running, my keyboard died (using DH's laptop now) so I've been able to read stuff but not type!

It sounds like the diddy diapers are probably going to be my best bet, although I have loads of muslins so I'll try them as well - not sure of my folding and getting them on a wriggly baby skills though.

I'll report back when we get him home (hopefully next week if he puts some weight on grin) to let you know how we get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now