Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty dilemma - 27 month old

(6 Posts)
suiledonn Sat 26-Jul-08 14:15:48

Hi my dd is almost 27 months. A few weeks ago she really started hating nappies and fought at every nappy change. We thought it might be time for the potty so we gave it a go, got big girl pants, a book about using the potty etc but after a couple of tries it became clear that she really didn't know when the pee was coming. We went back to nappies which didn't seem to be an issue with her and she even stopped resisting being changed. In the last few days it is clear she now can tell when she has a pee coming. If she doesn't have one on she asks for a nappy and then immediately takes it off when she is finished going but she will not sit on the potty at all. I don't want to force the issue but she seems to have got a bit mixed up. Is there anything we can do?

lilQuidditchKel Sat 26-Jul-08 20:31:53

I'd start from the beginning.
Remove nappy, keep her in a room without carpet and with potty close by. She will at some point wee or know she will wee. Catch her in the act or before if she gives you a chance, put her on potty, and reward like crazy. Do a sticker chart - just put them onto a piece of paper you've stuck up on the wall doesn't have to be fancy.
If she it utterly refusing to sit on the potty to wee even after rewarding set it all aside and try again in 2 weeks. Don't even mention nappies, potty, anything. Give her a real break, then try again.
Once you get her to sit on potty for a few time sin a row, keep her in training pants no matter what except when she's sleeping. Nappies must go!
Good luck...we're wrapping up training with DS. Have a look at Gina Ford PT in 1 week book, it's really good stuff.

Shitehawk Sat 26-Jul-08 20:44:18

I wouldn't force the issue, to be honest.

I would have a quiet, relaxed chat with her about what the potty is for, and remind her that she can use the potty or the toilet whenever she needs to - then leave the ball in her court. Let her use the potty if she wants to, otherwise go with what she wants to do. If she asks for a nappy, let her have one. Keep it calm, keep the pressure off, and let her do it in her own time.

She's very young; in an older child who I thought was ready, I'd just put her in knickers and let her get on with it. But your daughter doesn't sound ready for that to me.

Dryness isn't only about being physically ready; emotional readiness has a lot to do with it too, and forcing the issue may just cause more problems than it solves.

ches Sun 27-Jul-08 02:10:43

Let her know that mummy makes her wees in the toilet and let her see you make a wee. Have her sit on the potty next to you when you wee, and if she asks for a nappy to wee, say "oh, mummy needs to wee too, let's go and do that in our potties." If she says no, give her a nappy and still let her see you (at least pretend to) use the loo. She's old enough not to be fooled, but using a potty is a huge change to the world as she knows it and she needs some reassurance.

suiledonn Sun 27-Jul-08 10:21:23

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I think I will try the sticker chart and see how we get on. I might have to get her a different potty too, one that she only associates with going to the toilet. I let her choose her own one and she chose one in the shape of a hippo with a lid but I think she sees it as a toy.

I do feel she is still quite young for all this but she doesn't like being in a wet nappy even for a minute these days so I guess the time has come.

strawberriesandcream01 Mon 28-Jul-08 20:04:17

Hi. I started potty training my DD (23 months) just over a week ago. She doesn't like being in wet nappies so I took the plunge. She is doing quite well and will ask to use the pot and knows when she wants a wee, however she cant let go of the poo yet.

It was abit stressful and I nearly gave up but then decided not too as i have got this far. She is doing well but we still have accidents and it isn't a quick process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now