Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

stuffables or all in ones? plus other reusable nappy questions from a beginner! Help :)

(6 Posts)
QueenBhannae Sat 26-Jul-08 11:20:29

A few questions about swapping to cloth...

Are Minki and wee notions the funkiest there are or do you know of others with wacky wild retro prints?

What are the best WAHM nappies about atm?

do you use disposable liners or those fleece things?

how difficult is it when out and about?

whats the leakage percentage ?

how many nappies will i need a day?

will i need to be super organised?

do I pre wash?

How many nappies will I need if I wash thrice a week approx? I use about 3 or 4 nappies a day disposable.

Whats the definitive list of everything I will need to start from scratch for an 11monthold?

I also bought a minki yo yo for my ds (2.11) does anyone have any opinions or advice on these too please?

Thanks in advance everyone. smile

CarGirl Sat 26-Jul-08 11:27:05

stuffables work great for some people but not for others so I would recommend not buying lots to start with just a few. The Nappy Lady does a good questionnaire to recommend nappy systems to you.

I strongly recommend buying 2nd hand to try out different things before committing to buying new.

I got on fine with fleece liners.

The best nappies I found in terms of leak proof and very easy to use are my HemPresto (I've got them for sale if you're interested) because they are as reliable as a 2 part system but go on like an all in one nappy.

I recommend dry pailing, yes I use to do a cold rinse in the machine and then a normal 40 degree wash (you flush as much poo down the loo as poss though)

You probably need up to 20 nappies to allow for drying in the winter.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 26-Jul-08 13:09:51

1. lots with wacky prints... drybees, happy heinys, greenkids......., yes weenotions...., berry plush.....

2. dont know the answer to that one as alot of nappies are made by wahms in the uk, us, oz etc....

3. i dont use any liners as i use pocket nappies and it would be another thing to remember.

4. not difficult

5. less leaks than disps provided change regularly (3-4 hrly)
6. 4 or 5 a day???
7. no get a routine going and wash on planned days - i always do my nappy wash on a tue and a sat and never run out....

8. cold rinse then normal 40 degree wash with not alot of powder and absolutly no fabric conditioner....
9. Nappies, a lidded storage container for dry pailing.

the end smile

BigBadMousey Sat 26-Jul-08 13:49:28

1 - oh yes - look at pocket bots - very funky

2 - Pocket Bots IMO

3- nope - not unless you want to

4 - very easy - I just put whole thing in nappy bag and deal with when I get home - solids can be disposed of in the disposable bucket or down the loo.

5 - varies depending on brand, shape of baby. Some never leak others are very prone. Bumgenius, wonderoos generally good. Mommy's Touch and a fair few others not so.

6 - If you use 3-4 disposables per day currently then you should only need 4 cloth nappies per day I would say. DD gets through 3 cloth per day and 3 disposables on rare disposable days but we use very absorbant hemp nappies. We wash every 3 days and have about 12 nappies in circulation (I think)

7 - No certainly not - I'm not and I've been using cloth for a few years now without any hassle. I used disposables with DD1 and was constantly running out of nappies and wipes.

8 - prewash once if you have pockets with a microfibre inner. Hemp needs loads of prewashing. Bamboo needs a 2-3 prewashes before you can use it - it will get more absorbant with subsequent washes. If you mean prewash before every normal wash...it's up to you. I do with DD2's very strong wee nappies, but not with DSs newborn ones.

9 - 1 x 11 month old, nappies, boosters or inserts as reqired, liners of your choice, bucket, good nappy advisor (wink)

10 x not tried them yet - too expensive sad

juuule Sat 26-Jul-08 19:08:28

Are Minki and wee notions the funkiest there are or do you know of others with wacky wild retro prints?
Wacky wraps

do you use disposable liners or those fleece things?
I used the fleece liners. But I didn't mind cleaning the poo off and liked saving money by not buying the liners.

how difficult is it when out and about?
No more difficult than with disposables. I had a bag to keep the dirty nappy in.

whats the leakage percentage ?
Once you find a nappy/wrap that suits, I found there was no leakage.

how many nappies will i need a day?
Approximately:
New baby around 8-10 per day.
After that 3-5 per day.

will i need to be super organised?
No. I'm not and I managed. Had 3 in reusables at one point.

do I pre wash?
I don't and haven't in the past.

How many nappies will I need if I wash thrice a week approx? I use about 3 or 4 nappies a day disposable.
So washing every other day.
4 for today, 4 in the wash and 4 drying for tomorrow. Plus some spares. Probably be okay with 16. 20 would be ample.

Whats the definitive list of everything I will need to start from scratch for an 11monthold?
20 nappies.
Nappy nippa or pins dependant on style of nappy.
4-6 wraps
4 fleece liners or a roll of disp. liners.
Bag to put soiled nappy in when out and about.
Nappy bucket with lid.

QueenBhannae Sun 27-Jul-08 11:27:04

Thankyou all very much for posting up some really informative replies.

I have bought so far:
6 aio nappies
9 shaped terries for boosting/lining
1 minki yoyo

Am going to get some wraps and fitted nappies for variation and experimentation too.

I am ridiculously excited grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now