Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which reusables dry the quickest?

(24 Posts)
lucysnowe Sat 26-Jul-08 09:34:36

Hi all

We have no tumbledryer and limited drying space but I would like to get started on reusables... so which dry the quickest? Ideal if they are slimmish and cheapish too, but eh.

Thanks!

4andnotout Sat 26-Jul-08 09:37:32

Microfibre nappies dry very quickly, pocket nappies are faster than fitted as you take the absorbant bit out when washing and drying. Hemp and bamboo take ages to dry. HTH

juuule Sat 26-Jul-08 09:46:16

Terry squares - dry quickly, inexpensive, can be folded to suit. No contest imo.

BigBadMousey Sat 26-Jul-08 09:49:08

pocket nappies with microfibre inserts are quick drying and thin fitting but not usually cheap (however wonderoos are on offer 3 for 2 right now here - bit bulky on a newborn but reliable for sure and pretty colours too. They fit my tall DD2 who is 2.3 and my DS who is chunky and 8 weeks)

Microfibre nappies such as lollipop softee, fluffles, little lamb microfibre are quick drying, cheap (softee and little lamb) but bulky - one of the bulkiest nappies about. Fluffles are no longer made so you'll have to ebay for new ones or buy second hand.

lucysnowe Sat 26-Jul-08 10:08:02

Ah, thanks! DD is four months now so not so worried about them looking normous on a newborn. So I take it with the pocket nappies you don't have to wash the outside bit every time and you don't need extra nappy linings?

juule - ha, I suppose Terrys are aces but this is my first time with resuables and I am a wimp!

juuule Sat 26-Jul-08 10:12:47

lucy - don't be put off by terries. They were the first reusables that I used. You get really quick with them in no time. I used to get my 6yo to fold them for me (origami/bat fold). See if you can get a nappy advisor or someone who uses them to show you how to fold. It's really straightforward.

lucysnowe Sat 26-Jul-08 12:29:35

DH will be happy as they are nice and cheap I suppose! I will definitely look into it, thanks juuule.

CarGirl Sat 26-Jul-08 12:38:00

pockets aren't always that good mine dds always leaked in them. Bamboo terries would be good, more compact then terries, take longer to dry but you won't end up with a huge bum!

If she is past the exploding breast fed poo stage you could just use pre-folds - the are not great on newborn exploding poo but for wees and solids they're fine!

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 26-Jul-08 13:02:31

Lucysnowe with pocket nappies you do wash the whole lot each time, no liners needed. As bbm says wonderoos are on offer on my site at the moment, bumgneius are also super slim for a reusable and the most fool proof of all the pockets out there along with greenkids. Hope that helps. smile

zwiggy Sat 26-Jul-08 13:16:31

nappy zone how do I get to your site? how much are your wonderoos?

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 26-Jul-08 13:18:55

ooo just noticed my mumsnet ad has expired lol! blush if you google nappyzone (all one word) or pop a www in front with .co.uk at end that will get you there... £27.98 for 3 with microterry inserts.....smile

BigBadMousey Sat 26-Jul-08 13:29:53

tbh my bamboo terries take as long to dry as my Bamboozles (shaped bamboo nappy) - I wouldn't want to rely on them if I had very little drying space.

juuule Sat 26-Jul-08 14:35:34

I never really found hemp or bamboo to be better than cotton. Little Ewe terry squares were excellent. I think they are around £2 each.
I had terry squares as my workhorse nappies and could then try out other nappies for variety.

frazzledgirl Sat 26-Jul-08 18:14:14

My Bambinex teddies - microfibre - virtually come out of the washing machine dry.

They're bulky, but pretty good. I am actually selling them at the moment (shameless plug here) but only because I need to fund some bumgenius inserts.

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 09:58:20

I always recommend my Itti Bitti D'Lish - the outers dry overnight and the inners dry in 24 hours inside with central heating or in a day outside if it's sunny. Only trouble are the wet but not-cold days, sometimes I put on the central heating or go to the laundrette to blitz them in the tumble dryer. They are also cute, very trim and very economical - I bought 7 full nappies and 7 booster sets which I wash every other day. The main thing is that they don't need a plasticy wrap, they are just lovely and soft.

lexcat Sun 27-Jul-08 10:27:36

Terries, terries, terries and nappi nippa sroll down a bit.
Cheap and versatile with so many folds to choose from.
It's only the first few times you fold it's hard. Soon you can do it with your eyes shut in a spit seconds. Tip is to fold as they dry then ready and waiting.
Personally would alwayes go with terries.

juuule Sun 27-Jul-08 10:30:02

MrsJamin - from reading the link you gave, the waterproof part of the d'lish is PUL just the same as for other types of wraps. Most wraps are PUL not plastic.

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 12:35:27

Yes but it's totally different from PUL as it feels totally soft and unplasticky-feeling. I know PUL isn't plastic but it seems like it is. Best thing is to see some in the flesh and have a feel of them. The D'Lish have a v good resale value so you could always buy one and see how you go.

juuule Sun 27-Jul-08 14:22:08

It can't be totally different from PUL because it is PUL.
Although I do agree there are slightly differing thickness/textures to some PUL wraps. Some do seem a bit softer than others.
As you say the ideal would be to see some in rl.
A nappy demonstrator/advisor would be a good idea if there's one near, lucy.

hollybrolly Sun 27-Jul-08 14:31:45

imse vimse dry super quick! quickest out of all ive used xx

needaholiday Sun 27-Jul-08 18:31:30

and kiwi quick flip nappies dry faster than most shaped, and give great absorbency too. Plus the wraps are bombproof and pretty (if you buy the ones from nappyelite) and just bomproof and white if you buy from littlekiwi.
Oh and yes there are definitely different puls. The ones at littlekiwi, nappyelite and weenotions are supersoft and light. the ones used on pockets are usually slightly thicker. And there is a heavyweight vinyl pul which is used for things like matress protectors, picnic mats and that sort of thing.
PUL just means polyurethane laminate, which means polyurethane film laminated onto other fabric which can be cotton, minkee, polyester (most common) or vinyl to name a few.
sorry to ramble

ilovemydog Sun 27-Jul-08 18:34:06

bum genius all in one - dries v quickly

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 20:47:06

Sorry but have to disagree with the kiwi quick flips - they take just under 48 hours to dry completely in the bunched-up bits with elastic, so much longer than the inner bamboo bits of my itti bitti d'lish's. I don't mind as I use them for night nappies and have 4 in rotation to take the drying time into consideration - I would definitely not have enough room to dry more than 2 at a time though, if I used them in the day, and they are very bulky.

needaholiday Sun 27-Jul-08 23:49:53

we found they dry in under half a day in the sun, though these are cotton terry not bamboo. They may not be slimline but we like the proper cloth nappy look grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now