Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reuseable nappies

(15 Posts)
SilverBear Sat 26-Jul-08 08:20:21

Really want to swap to reuseable nappies but completely confused. Been looking at the ones available from Green Baby and also fuzzi-bunz. Can people recommend these?

Also Green Baby says that you need to use a nappy and then a wrap. This looks incredibly bulky! Fuzzi-bunz seems to be a nappy and wrap in one unless i am not understanding.

People have told me the one size nappies don't work (get too small too quickly) and best to get ones that come in different sizes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. smile

BigBadMousey Sat 26-Jul-08 09:29:11

There are plenty of nappy advisors who will offer their services for free and with no obligation to buy. You may even have a nappy trial kit service in your area or even a financial incentive schemelook here to find out

Different nappies suit different circumstances so getting advice tailored to your needs is best.

In general two part systems (nappy plus wrap) are more reliable than a pocket system (like fuzzi bunz) but tend to be more bulky. One size nappies will be bulky on a newborn and may not fit a very large toddler. Your best bet is to go for sized nappies if you can afford to buy different sizes.

My main issue with cloth is the bulk so when DS is older we will swap to pocket nappies as we did with DD2. Fuzzi bunz are quite good - well made, thin fitting, quick drying quite reliable for a pocket nappy too - might be worth trying one out and seeing how you get on. Whatever you do, don't go out and buy 20 of anyting until you are sure that it is going to suit you and your baby.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 26-Jul-08 13:12:51

As per bbm yes i would recommend certain pocket nappy systems but dont buy a load - buy a selection and see what suits - bumgenius are pretty fool proof and birth to potty dependant on the size of your baby.

How old is your baby?

magicfairy Sat 26-Jul-08 13:28:54

i thought fuzzi bunz were great when i first tried them out, but after a short while they seemed to leak ALOT and then the waterproof lining got all sticky and ripped!

Minkis are my favourite pocket nappy but they are very bulky, but look very cute.

However i now use motherease one size, with a wrap, they are not that bulky as the nappies are juat one layer and fit almost like a pant. I currently use them on both kids, 1 is 10 weeks old and the other is almost 2 years ols and he is very chucnky and they still fit him fine.

It is mind boggling though and we have tried a fair few to get to the one that works best for us, nappy trials are a good idea, or borrow from friends if possible.

SilverBear Sat 26-Jul-08 14:12:53

Thanks for advice. The problem I have is that I live overseas and it will cost me more to ship a trial selection here than the cost of the actual nappies. They don't have any reuseable nappies here (we have Mothercare but it doesn't sell reuseable nappies).

My little ones are 5 months and 20 months (although hoping to train the older one soon). I don't mind buying different sizes of nappy but am concerned about the nappies being v bulky. I think I will try and find some people here that use nappies so i can borrow some to try.

Has no one used the Green Baby ones then?

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 26-Jul-08 15:36:50

Sorry i have not used green baby ones but will bump this up hoping someone has, i know myself nappyzone and flame who has bumfluff nappies are both happy to ship overseas and both happy to advise....

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 09:53:08

The trimmest nappy I found was Itti Bitti D'Lish - they are only a bit bigger than a 'full' disposable and are surprisingly good at containment. They come in beautiful colours and are very economical if you use them as a complete system - I have 7 full nappies and 7 extra sets of boosters which sees me through washing every other day. I'd 100% recommend them.
I bought the medium size when DS was 3 months so I wouldn't buy the small as you wouldn't get a lot of use out of them.

SilverBear Sun 27-Jul-08 10:27:53

Thanks guys. I didn't realise what a huge choice there is. Seems pocket nappies in various sizes would be best for me.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname - I didn't quite understand the end part of your message "i know myself nappyzone and flame who has bumfluff nappies are both happy to ship overseas and both happy to advise...." Do you mean that you are happy to give advice? Sorry if I'm being dumb but been up since 4.30am!!

SilverBear Sun 27-Jul-08 10:35:55

And does anyone know an internet site with a good selection of nappies with cheap delivery cost? Thinking to just order one of each the ones you've all recommended above.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sun 27-Jul-08 11:57:48

lol yes both happy to give FREE advise and ship cheaply to overseas. Bumfluff nappies and Nappyzone are the websites ran by mumsnetters, i am Nappyzone.....smile. Sorry my grammer is pants!

laura325630 Sun 27-Jul-08 17:56:11

Hi, I too am looking to switch to reusable and have been looking at Bambinomio ones with a cover, nappy and liner. I guess you only really wash the nappy part?? These look really good so Im going to get a trial pack to make sure before I buy loads!

redclover79 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:43:58

I've got a few of the green basby birth to potty nappies. I've got them secondhand and have found they were a bit gapey on dd (12 weeks ish last time I tried them on her!), didn't fancy their chances so ds2 (15 months)is wearing them at the mo. They work fine with him although I wouldn't use them overnight! Will try them on dd again in the next few weeks as dd is now 15 weeks and is starting to fill out. Think they will probably last til potty training as there's plenty of room left for ds2!

redclover79 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:59:59

Oh and the green baby nappies are quite trim!

SilverBear Tue 29-Jul-08 20:30:28

Thanks Nappyzone - am going to check out your website. I also think the Itti Bitti nappies look good so thanks *Mrs Jamin.

*Redclover
- noted your comments about the Green Baby. Not sure if it mightn't be simpler just to get an all-in-one though. all very confusing!!!!!!

SilverBear Tue 29-Jul-08 20:30:35

Thanks Nappyzone - am going to check out your website. I also think the Itti Bitti nappies look good so thanks *Mrs Jamin.

*Redclover
- noted your comments about the Green Baby. Not sure if it mightn't be simpler just to get an all-in-one though. all very confusing!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now