Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I think I've found the answer to having ds dry at night, dh thinks I'm barmy!

(8 Posts)
whoops Fri 25-Jul-08 12:25:38

We had seen a nurse for ds (nearly 7) having problems soiling himself and when we were talking about night time wetting she said about him drinking plenty and the nothing to drink after 6pm was rubbish and also mentioned blackcurrant can irritate the Bowel.
Ds was in hospital a couple of weeks ago with severe constipation and I gave him nothing but water to drink and on those nights he was dry.
Then for a few nights he has been drinking squash again and been wet in the morning.
Yesterday this twigged with me so I only gave him water or milk and this morning he woke up dry.
Ds is with dh today and I Have told him not to give ds squash but dh thinks my theory is stupid and that it hasn't got anything to do with it.
Has anyone else come across this or am I mad?! grin

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 12:26:54

I think that is pretty sensible . We used to have problems with apple juice or lemonade in evenings.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 12:28:29

Let your Dh clean up your son and his wet bed if he ignores you.

I am not sure if it is 100% the reason as my 7 and 4 year olds don't have juice and were wet at night. My 7 year old is now dry.

Romy7 Fri 25-Jul-08 12:34:44

the constipation can also make it more difficult to be dry at night - is he on a maintenance dose of lactulose?

still not an issue at 7 - round here kids need to be 8 before they start thinking about doing anything about night time wetting - still deemed 'normal'.

dd1 (8) has now been dry for 3 months after using an enuresis alarm - no such luck with ds1 who's the same age as your wee man (and with similar issues apparently!)

dd2 (4) however, has been dry day and night since 2, and they all drink the same stuff at the same times, so it's very much what works for individual kids...

stick with the water for a few weeks and see what happens - you might be lucky!

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 25-Jul-08 12:35:42

I think its def worth a try. My two mostly drink water but I've noticed after juice they both need to wee a lot. We have just potty trained ds2 and he is dry 3 out of 4 nights so I am going to try this.

JackieNo Fri 25-Jul-08 12:38:32

If you google blackcurrant and bedwetting, you get a fair few results that say that yes, it (and certain other drinks) can make bedwetting more likely this leaflet (from the NHS) says:

"• Drinks to be avoided altogether:
Fizzy drinks - limit these to special occasions, if it is not in the cupboard, he/she cannot have it.
Blackcurrant and citrus drinks especially orange - if your child really will not do without these limit drinks to before lunch"

JackieNo Fri 25-Jul-08 12:40:52

And from the ERIC website (Education and resources for improving childhood continence):

Tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can stimulate the kidneys to produce more urine, so can cause a problem at night. Milk drunk just before bedtime can also affect some people. Some drinks, which seem to be particularly associated with increased urine output, are citrus drinks such as orange and blackcurrant.

whoops Fri 25-Jul-08 12:45:56

Thanks Jackie.
I will show those to dh and keep ds on water for now as I know he is starting to feel embarrased about not being dry at night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now