Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Secondhand nappies and stains (eek)

(11 Posts)
missmama Fri 25-Jul-08 08:35:19

I have just bought a preused Tommee Tippee Birth to potty pack off the internet.
The newborn prefolds have not been used at all, so I will just prewash those a few times.
But the larger ones are obviously well used and are a 'different' colour to the rest. Also one of the wraps has a stain on the leg gusset.

Can I bleach them?
They seem a bit icky to be putting on the baby been as though its not its own poo IYSWIM.
I thought I could use a laundry bleach like Ace and then just keep washing them through in the machine until I was happy it was all rinsed out.

What do you think? All sugestions welcome.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 08:37:03

Hang them out in the sun. It will bleach the stains out naturally.

isaidno Fri 25-Jul-08 08:44:42

You could use something like napisan to soak them, then put them through a hot (90 degree) wash to completely kill any germs. Don't put the wraps in a hot wash though as it will ruin the elastic.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 08:45:47

Napisan is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Flamesparrow Fri 25-Jul-08 08:47:01

Just go with the sun method - it should bleach it out.

MrsBadger Fri 25-Jul-08 08:47:17

agree sun is the way to go - you'll be amazed. stick them out today - it's gorgeous here.

you could bleach the prefolds if you wanted to but don't b;each the wrap as it's bad for the elastic

cmotdibbler Fri 25-Jul-08 08:49:21

But bleach isn't exactly eco friendly either. And Napisan is king of biological stain removal. I have appreciated this even more since DS was potty trained than when he was in cloth and the liner caught the poo.

Nappies can just pick up colour from other things in the wash, so it might not be poo staining. I'd give them a good soak then put them out in the sun

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 08:53:31

I wouldn't have thought using bleach on something you put next to the babies skin was the best for them. Wash them at 60 and stick them out in th sun.

MrsBadger Fri 25-Jul-08 08:53:43

(NB remember stains do not = germs)

missmama Fri 25-Jul-08 08:59:22

Thanks everybody, so many replies. I thought it would be a really boring question that nobody would answer.

JayneF Thu 21-Aug-08 19:49:37

It is only a stain,...it wont kill your LO!!! If it were a second hand nappy from a nephew or neice you'd be less bothered surely,..so its not really that improtantas long as nappy is properly cleaned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now