Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Stupid question about reusables - what do I do with the nappy liner?

(11 Posts)
Essie3 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:15:27

Do I put it in the nappy, and is it to catch poo or wee (or both)? And then when I'm changing a nappy, do I just take the liner out or change the whole nappy?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 18:22:21

do you mean thin paper liners? or padded booster type liners?

and what sort of nappies are you using? two partes with an absorbent bit and a wrap, or pocket nappies with a waterproof outer and a pocket that you stuff?

Normally at each change you need a whole new clean nappy, but not necessarily a clean wrap, unless the legs are very wet or it has been pooed on. Pocket nappies you change the whole thing.

paper liners, if only wet, can be washed and used again; pooey ones can go into the loo and be flushed away.

sorry more questions than answers there, but there are so many different types out there, it's not a straightforward yes or no answer.

Essie3 Thu 24-Jul-08 19:06:26

Oh, ok. The brand is modern baby nappies (old style) and they're two parts with a soft bit and a wrap. The liners are paper (they're actually like tumble dryer sheets). Can you really wash them?
Also, do I fold the liner or what?

Sorry, total dunce here!

PortAndLemon Thu 24-Jul-08 19:25:13

It catches poo, the wee goes through.

If they've only been weed on (no poo) then yes, you can wash them. If they've been pooed on you'll need to get rid of them -- check the packet for whether they are flushable or not (many/most are).

You'll probably need to fold them while your baby is small.

You change the whole nappy (won't need to change the wrap every time though).

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 19:29:44

i usually fold in the edges a bit and have the folded side facing upwards as it helps contain any wayward poo.

And yes, it surprises me that something that you can flush away holds up surprisinlgy well even with one or two washes in the machine.

obviously pooey ones get flushed or binned.

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 19:36:02

check the packet - IME many types of paper liner should be cut and not folded to the right size.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 19:39:49

why not folded BBM?

NappiesNoMore Thu 24-Jul-08 19:43:10

apparently it sits in and pokes out the edges of the nappy.
which'll be why i never got on with them, coz thats not what i did.

NellyTheElephant Thu 24-Jul-08 21:01:20

I always flush pooey ones and wash and re-use wet ones. I don't think you should fold them (there is a good reason, I read it somewhere but can't remember!!) I always let the liner poke out of the legs of the cloth bit of the nappy (which means you can be pretty certain no poo gets onto the actual nappy ), but then make sure any paper is tucked inside the wrap. Hope that makes sense.

Sometimes DD does a poo but her nappy is completely dry as she hasn't wee'd. In that case (especially if I'm out and about) provided no poo has squidged onto the nappy I'll just take out and flush the paper liner and put in another liner but leave the same nappy on.

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 21:11:11

sorry was nappy hunting elsewhere grin - apparently it can be too much of a barrier and stop the wetness soaking through to the nappy. Definitely says don't fold on the Junior Joy packet and I have seen it on a couple of other brands too.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 23:07:10

aha, that makes sense. I just fold the edge in a bit, so it isn't folded right in two iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now