Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

ds keen to sleep without pull-ups, but a lot of accidents - too soon?

(5 Posts)
gladbag Tue 22-Jul-08 08:22:28

Ds is 4.5. He's been potty trained successfully for ages (from 2.5) but until recently still slept with pull-ups. He has a success rate of having dry pull-ups in the morning about 3 nights out of the 7 each week. We decided to give it a go without (he instigated it), hoping that some of the wet ones are laziness, or just subconsciously knowing he's got a pull up on. We've been stopping drinks after about 5.30, and making sure he wees just before bed etc etc.

Well.....we've had 1 wet bed, 2 nights dry, then 1 wet bed again. Not great. I'm in no hurry to get him out of pull-ups so there's been no pressure, but I just wonder if he's not actually ready (the hormone thing kicking in), and I should leave it for a bit longer. He gets v upset when waking in a wet bed, and I don't want that (or the 2 o'clock bed changing!).

So, would you keep going, as this is normal to begin with, or leave it a couple of months? Any advice welcome.

gladbag Tue 22-Jul-08 09:26:32

A little bump, and to add into the mix, I've just thought about the fact that we're camping in a couple of weeks. Back in pull-ups for that? (can't cope with the thought of wet sleeping bags....). Or should we just go for it and deal with all consequences?

Fizzylemonade Tue 22-Jul-08 11:21:09

If you are camping I would put him back in pull ups if he seems happy with that, then when you are back try again.

Ds1 was dry in the day from about 2 3/4 and then wore a nappy until he was 4. Every morning the nappy was soaking wet and they would even burst the filling out (horrible horrible stuff)

We forced the issue, but we lifted him for a wee at around 10pm. We have tried stopping that but he is such a deep sleeper half the time he gets up for a wee himself and half the time he wets the bed. That means I have to wash his duvet, duvet cover, waterproof terry-topped sheet and the normal sheet the next morning. So we lift him. He is now 5 & 1 month.

My friend still lifts her daughter and she is almost 6.

2shoes Tue 22-Jul-08 11:34:54

this happened with dd(she is 13 but has sn) totally dry all day. the moment I took her out of pads at night she was wet. put her in pull ups and she is dry. so I would leave it until after your holiday.

gladbag Tue 22-Jul-08 17:37:14

Thanks for the comments - I think you are both right in leaving it for a bit. I can't decide on the lifting issue. I haven't done it, as ds can be a tricky sleeper and I don't want to wake him if at all possible, because he might not go back to sleep! I'm not bothered at all by the pull-ups, so as long as I can convince ds that it's ok for a bit longer, we'll wait and try again in a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now