Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth Nappies - I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

(24 Posts)
wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 04:59:52

I really need some help as I am determined to switch to cloth. I have an 8 mth old DD and live in the far east. I will be coming back to Uk for a visit and want to order some cloth nappies and get them sent to my sis who I will be staying with. This is my only chance for a yr so please help. I dont care what they look like colour wise but would rather slimmer fitting effective ones.

I am not on a budget and this is no.1 - am planning to have atleast 2 more. SO What do you reccommend. I have ourdoor space for drying and DD only poos every 3-4 days if that.

The whole cloth thing really confuses me as to which is best. she is medium built - not massively chubby legs for eg. At the moment I have only one smart nappy (mothercare) that a friend gave me with one inner pocket bit that you fold in to three. Are other pockets massively different to this? Sorry this is long but I would love love some advice. PLease can some one plaese explain it to me as if I was 3. Feeling swamped by over complicated websites?

Ready4anotherCoffee Tue 22-Jul-08 08:02:56

I used motherease for my first 2, but now use pockets (pocketbots, weenotions, berryplush, don't llike wonderoos).

keep bumping for Flamesparrow, she'll sort yougrin

Ready4anotherCoffee Tue 22-Jul-08 08:03:00

I used motherease for my first 2, but now use pockets (pocketbots, weenotions, berryplush, don't llike wonderoos).

Ready4anotherCoffee Tue 22-Jul-08 08:03:00

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 09:06:09

I think if I had no budget constraints I would probably go for Fuzzi Bunz - they are sized pockets, and instead of folding up the insert and lying it in the nappy, you have shaped microfibre pads that push into a pocket. This means you can make them up ahead and put them on like a disposable. Two rows of poppers make them quite adjustable too. They are sized, but thats an advantage in that they do tend to fit better than birth to potty.

I love Blueberries, but I think they'd be a bit hot for you.

alkar Tue 22-Jul-08 09:12:58

Try the nappy lady, fill out the questionnaire and see whats recommended. I like the flexitots and fluffles but little lambs are the best fit for my DS

ten10 Tue 22-Jul-08 09:27:38

I have a variety of different washable nappies but my favourites are

Bamineo - sized, very soft, slim fitting

and

Motherease - one size, so save money in the long term although they are more bulky when baby is small. The poppers are good as some of my other nappies with velcro (applix) have degraded and no longer grip. (my Little Lambs have done this)

as for wraps my favourites are

Motherease and Tots Bots

And i like PHP liners

Other things to buy are a couple of mesh bags, a nappy bucket and some tea tree oil (put a couple of drops on the dirty nappies in the bucket)

HolidaysQueen Tue 22-Jul-08 10:05:28

I love Bumgenius. My DS is slim, and they are not very bulky on him at all and fit really well despite him not being so chubby. A friend who used Totsbots type nappies plus wraps commented on how small his bum looked compared to her DS! I've found that for us they are as good as disposables at containing poo, and they are as easy as disposables to put on and off as you just fasten two velcro tabs. The pocket can be stuffed with extra padding if necessary for overnight. They also keep DS pretty dry as the inner fleecy lining wicks away all the moisture.

jooseyfruit Tue 22-Jul-08 10:11:23

agree with alkar nappy lady is great and not complicated at all, got all the advice i needed and oredered off them too, fab service. I use cotton tots with motherease air flow wraps and made my own liners from chopped up fleece scarfs i bought on sale in Primark!

LackaDAISYcal Tue 22-Jul-08 10:15:10

If price is no object, the new Totsbots flexitots are brilliant. I have used these overnight with the tots new wraps and no leaks at all. their marketing stuff says they can hold about a third more liquid than leading disposables and having used them, I can well believe it.

They are really slim fitting as well, considering I'm using size 2 (18 lbs+) on my 20lbs DD.

If I was starting again with cloth, I would just buy these without a moments hesitation.

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:16:38

ok well I think I am convinced by the pocket type - I like the Fuzzi bumz cmotdibbler thanks - also like the look of the Bumgenuius. Do synthetic nappies work better? I think I would prefer something more natural seeing as it gets so hot here. Why are some people against microfibre? Why do people use nappies and wraps when you can have pocket or AIOs? So many questions AAAGGGGHHHHH

BigBadMousey Tue 22-Jul-08 10:16:46

OK. So you want slim fitting, effective nappies. They don't need them to be cheap or incredibly quick drying and you have a mediumly built DD who is 8mo.

Slim fitting nappies tend to be either pocket nappies or bamboo (which is thinner fitting compared to it's cotton equivilant).

If you want something that is definitely going to be effective then you really would be best looking at a two part, shaped nappy (i.e a shaped fabric nappy that doesn't require folding which has a waterproof 'wrap' put over the top of it).

Pocket nappies tend to be less reliable and can give you a lot of leaks. The mothercare nappy you have is known as a 'pouch nappy'. A pocket nappy has two layers - one waterproof layer and one fleece layer there is an opening at one end so that you can place an 'insert' between the two fabrics and that is what does the soaking up. Because the insert comes out of the actual nappy it makes for a very fast drying nappy but because you effectively only have one barrier against leaks it can be less reliable than a shaped nappy - espeically if the cut does not suit your DCs shape. To be successful with pockets you either need to be lucky and find the right one first, or try several to see what suits you best. Problem for you might be that your next DC could be a totally different shape and not suit the type you bought for your first. If you choose to go with a pocket system I would strongly recommend you get a sized version and not a birth to potty. The birth to potty versions may not last for more than one child. If the older child stretches the leg elastic too much it may not hold in leaks for a newborn when the time comes. Obviously, sized nappies will cost more as you need to be different sizes but they will see less wear and should last longer. You can use all sorts of things for inserts in pocket nappies (anything you can fint inside that will be absorbant will do). Purpose made inserts are what most people go for. I would strongly advise you to avoid anything made from microfibre if you have a humid environment (I have helped 3 people from your part of the world who had problems with microfire nappies). Microfibre just seems to never dry properly in humid conditions, it feels dry, but it isn't and this leads to a very smelly nappy a short way down the line! Other inserts are made from Hemp (which will take a long time to dry and will dry stiff - it also will need many (5+ minimum)'prewashes' before it becomes absorbant enough to use. Your best bet for an insert would be bamboo - so look for those. If you want to try pockets then look out for fuzzi bunz. Avoid anything with velcro fixings if you want it to last for years. You'll need to have a bit of a search to find bamboo inserts though as most are hemp and microfibre.

That said, I think you'd be far better off with a shaped, two part system. The wrap part is easy - get some motherease wraps! They are bombproof for most people. They come in Rikki (velcro) or Airflow (popper fit) - I'd go for the airflow as it will work even when your DD goes through that short-lived chubby leg phase they all tend to go through. The airflow can be adjusted around the legs and wasit to give a good fit. It is also a breatheable wrap. The rikki is good though if you really don't fancy poppers but poppers are great and easy to use.

Good nappies to look at for underneath the wrap that fit your criteria would be Bambinex (a slim fitting, bamboo, sized nappy but with velcro fixings), Motherease one size (slim fitting but one size, available in bamboo or cotton), Swaddlesbees organic (they also do a pocket nappy so make sure you look at the right thing), Motherease Sandy's (available in cotton or bamboo - excellent nappies). The last three are popper fit and this makes them a slimmer fit as they don't have big velcro bands across them. The Sandys and swaddlebees are not incredibly quick drying but they are an excellent nappy, very absorbant and give a very good, comfortable fit - maybe you could buy a few extra to make up for the slow drying time as I think it would be worth it. Many people do not like the shape of the motherease one size - or find it not absorbant enough (this is refelcted in the secind hand price IMO - sandys are expensive even second hand MEOS are cheap) If you go for Sandy's then use the AIRFLOW wrap as it suits it better.

Fleece liners would be a good bet if it is hard to source cloth nappy stuff in your area - you can reuse them and they keep your baby's bottom dry. There is no need to soak the nappies or use any other cleaning agents other than your normal powder. Don't use softener.

swaddlebees organic

sandy's

Motherease One Size (MEOS)

airflow wrap

rikki wraps

close up photos of a pocket nappy

<drops dead from typing fatigue>
<everyone else drops dead with boredom grin>

BigBadMousey Tue 22-Jul-08 10:20:19

Bumgenius - not good for more than one child in the past and it is a bit early in the life of the V3 to see if they have remedied that - the V2 fell to bits on occassion and the the velcro died more often than not.

Forgot the flexitots - mine is coming in the post today so can't comment - it has a microfibre core though so I would avoid if I were you.

Bamboo or cotton is best in your environment - not synthetic. Synthetic just doesn't work with nappies out there IME.

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:29:33

OMG thank you soooo much - feeling like my head is out of the water a little now. Thinking I will get a mix of sandys's and Fuzzi Bunz and the airflow wraps. Great advice about the micro Fibre - THANK YOU!! Any advice on Bumgenius? If the one mothercare one is working ok then do you think perhaps she is not a heavy weeer??

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:30:43

oh x post, thanks again BBM

BigBadMousey Tue 22-Jul-08 10:35:31

If you want to see a photo of a sandy's on a baby (albeit younger than your DD) - have a look at the photos on my profile. DS is modelling one. They are such a neat fit I think.

BigBadMousey Tue 22-Jul-08 10:37:25

oh and one of DD2 in an airflow but it's not very clear as she is in a box at the time hmm

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:39:51

thankyou - they do look snug!

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:44:52

are fuzzi bumz microfibre?

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 10:49:58

I had Sandys for DS when he was little (extra small then small). They are totally cute and bombproof when it comes to poo.

You can choose what to put in a Fuzzi Bunz - they come with microfibre inserts, but you can put a hemp/bamboo/cotton insert in instead. The actual nappy part is waterproofed nylon on the outside, then fleece between the insert and the baby.

If you are thinking about two part (as in the Sandy) then instead of a wrap, you could use a wool pant - they breathe, so are less sticky in the heat

wheresmyhat Tue 22-Jul-08 10:57:24

Thanks cmot - where would I get a wool pant from. She at the moment is a solid pooer and I can usually predict what day it's going to be so I don't think I would have a leak problem. Do you think that the nylon would be to hot? Where d I get bamboo liners from?

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 11:18:29

Wool wraps here and hemp/cotton inserts here or with the Fuzzis, and bamboo here

Wool does take a little getting used to and care in that it needs to be lanolised once a month or so, but you can buy shorts and stuff so that they don't wear anything else. My mum knitted several pairs of shorts for DS.

A nylon wrap or pocket outer would be the same as a disposable in terms of heat/humidity really (I think)

BigBadMousey Tue 22-Jul-08 12:31:56

Of all the PUL wraps (i.e not fleece or wool) the airflow gives the most breatheability. It is quite loose fitting and has flaps which let the air circulate - works quite well IMO.

cmotdibbler - did you find the wetness soaked through wool wraps if your DS was sitting up for a while?

Only tried wool once or twice so can't really comment (but I'm going to anyway wink) I think it is nice if you don't put anything over it - was too bulky for us for daytime use under normal clothes.

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 12:36:11

No - they were fine, although when we started using them he was never sat in one place for very long ! Wouldn't have used them out in the car or sling, but were fab round the house - we always used them as the only bottom half clothing

Airflow wraps def the best PUL - we've used them from the start, and now DS is out of nappies in the day, they still work well at night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now