Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Terry square nappies - worth a try?

(15 Posts)
PhilB Mon 21-Jul-08 14:55:29

Hi. I'm expecting DC1 in a few weeks. I got some cheapo terries from Boots and also have many muslins, all bought more for wiping than for nappies. But I'm tempted to try them out as nappies as well (despite horror from DH, who prefers the idea of disposables and then a laundry service with prefolds).

Any thoughts about whether muslins / terries are reliable v. prefolds? I've read prefolds can be pretty leaky. We can't really get shaped nappies as have no outdoor space to dry them.

If it's worth trying, what's a good wrap which can be uesd with both terries and prefolds (in case we go for the laundry service)? Preferably something that we'll be able to use for a while...

Phil.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 15:02:12

Terries are fab, look at the nappy lady site for ways to fold (muslins too)

Thirsties or motherease wraps are both good with terries and available from kittykins (and other sites)

Word of warning, Boots terries are very thin, if you haven't washed them I would take them back and get decent ones.

IMO (and I have used them) prefolds are crap.

Hope that helps, good luck. smile

Bluestocking Mon 21-Jul-08 15:18:45

Terry folds
Don't get rid of your cheapo Boots terries just yet - I found some very ancient (and therefore thin) terries very useful when DS was new. Everything else just seemed too big for his little botty but a thin terry folds up really nice and small.
Agree that prefolds are crap!

PhilB Mon 21-Jul-08 15:21:27

Great, thanks. Unfortunately I have unpacked the Boots ones and thrown away the bag. But perhaps I can try them with a muslin inside, or just use them for wiping. What terries would you recommend instead?

Cheers, Phil.

mistlethrush Mon 21-Jul-08 15:25:00

We found prefolds rather good! Didn't use terrys much and also had shaped. Just shows you how individual this is. The best wraps for prefolds/terrys/shaped we found were Nature Babies - but it depends on the shape of your baby I think. We run a dehumidifier in the bathroom - keeps bathroom dry and warm and a load of nappies will dry overnight, or at most in 24hrs (depending on type).

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 15:40:25

Forgot Nature Babies and agree they are an excellent wrap.

Good terries include (IMO) Little Ewe, Bright Bots, Ellie Terries and I also love Babeco Bamboo terries (made of bamboo very soft, very absorbent)

Agree with bluestocking thin terries will probably fold up well on a newborn (I like the jo fold best). Didn't think of that I'm a bit beyond that stage.

overthemill Mon 21-Jul-08 15:48:33

we sued shaped but also had 12 terries which i still use for so much! good for little things on holiday, in the garden and also as small towel obv.

BigBadMousey Mon 21-Jul-08 17:06:50

certain shaped nappies will dry quicker and softer than terry squares - you can pick them up cheaply if you are happy to use second hand nappies - might be worth considering even if you combine squares and those.

I agree with mum2oandh's list of good squares (not tried the bright bots ones though)I have some little ewe which were fab - I'll be listing them on the classifieds when I get round to it so look out if you are interested in trying some (although they are cheap enough new).

Don't like prefolds much either - they are thinner fitting than terry squares though.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 17:08:27

I love prefolds. They don't leak and never have. Great for boys - you can pad fold them with a big wad at the front!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 21-Jul-08 17:14:50

I've got some terries that i keep on hand for those "wet can't get anything dried" emergencies. they dry really quickly. I wish I'd got some bamboo ones rather than cotton though for the extra absorbency.

Found the jo-fold on the nappy ladies site very useful, even on BF baby poo.

PhilB Tue 22-Jul-08 09:41:43

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get hold of the wraps and then try the laundry service pre-folds and my own terries as well. Hopefully I'll be able to work out what fits the baby best that way.

Phil.

HolidaysQueen Tue 22-Jul-08 09:56:50

I used muslins when DS was very little and wetting/pooing all the time. I did then try terries but found them very bulky (he is a very slim baby so they seemed very very big on him)and in the end went with Bumgenius. But I can definitely recommend muslins at the start - they wash really well and dry so quickly and were ideal for all the nappy changes you do in the first 6-8 weeks. I just used the same folds as for terries and used nappy nippas. I liked the popolini and motherease velcro fastening wraps as they are really snug around the legs and come in cute patterns!

I really like shopping at twinkleontheweb - the owner is really helpful and they have a great range of nappy stuff including cotton and bamboo terries.

salo Tue 22-Jul-08 21:19:52

hope your new arrival has not come early, else u probably wont have time to be reading this!
i didnt start using reusables for a couple of months, but found it really helpful to have a visit from a nappy rep in the area...i chose terries in the end
1. they are def. the cheapest option, you can afford to buy loads and only do a wash when your bucket is full
2. they dry really quickly (assuming u dont have a dryer).we used a big clothes horse and they were normally dry overnight. the allinone nappies take alot longer to dry
3. you can do different folds depending on the size/age of your baby

i'd recommend a really good outer wrap to keep stuff in-i used motherease rikki wraps, which were great - you only need 2 or 3

nappy nippers are great too-dont need pins!

on the downside, we always used disposables at night cos teries were so wet and horrid by the morning!

good luck!!

ps my daughter is now 3 and we use old terries for cleaning windows!!

mummypig Tue 22-Jul-08 21:30:39

I am currently using muslins for my 3 week old ds3 (sometimes with boosters for nighttime) and I am finding they are fine, also they dry really quickly which is a bonus. I use the Jo fold too, with a nappy nippa and a Motherease wrap.

I did use terries for quite a while with ds1, and shaped nappies (mainly Tots Bots) while out. I also bought the LIttle Ewe ones and they have been great. I think it was the combination of cost and quick drying time that won me over. Also I reckoned if my mum and older generations could deal with folding nappies then how hard could it really be? I did change to pocket nappies once he got bigger and more wriggly.

With ds2 I used shaped nappies at home, but pocket nappies for nursery/childminder and while out and about. With ds3 I think I'll go on to pocket nappies pretty soon and I'm already trying out a Happy Heiny and a bumgenius.

Old terries have loads of uses, we even have them as hand towels in the downstairs loo (and ds1 is 6 years old now so you see they have lasted). Anyway, even if you don't use the Boots ones as nappies I'm sure you won't have wasted your money.

lisalollipop Tue 22-Jul-08 21:45:52

We used Little Ewe terries for first few weeks with DS, with Nappy Nippas and Motherease Rikki wraps. They worked fine and only stopped using them because he got too big too quick! Hurrah for BFing.

We now use the motherease nappies and are very happy with them too.

Don't worry about terries going to waste - my Dad still uses mine for grease wrags in the garage and I'm 35!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now