Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

To dispo or not to dispo... what do I do on holiday??

(9 Posts)
SodTheBikiniDiet Mon 21-Jul-08 00:27:35

DD is in cloth nappies most of the time although I do succumb to the conveniences of a disposable once in a while BUT I really hate using them and creating all that rubbish. We are going to Greek island for two weeks soon and I really don't know what to do. Do anyone have any suggestions? Would washing them in the sink really be that much of a pain? DP thinks I’m mental for even entertaining the idea.
Do I take a huge packet of dispos? Or should I buy some there?

GillianLovesMarmite Mon 21-Jul-08 00:32:39

I feel the same about dispo nappies and prefer the washables, however, we tend to use dispo when out and about and when on hol just for the convenience... plus, you're on HOLIDAY!! I would give yourself a break from all the poo/wee and not feel guilty about it for a week!

primigravida Mon 21-Jul-08 01:00:01

Our rule for when to use disposables (we use cloth nappies most of the time) is if there is no washing machine available. Ask your hotel or wherever you're staying if you can use their machine, Greek people (ime) love babies and will probably be most helpful. If there is no machine available you're going to be washing your clothes and your babies in the sink so nappies as well will probably be a bit much. I'd recommend moltex oko or natural baby disposables as a compromise. Don't touch tushies they are overpriced and underperform. Anyway, enjoy your holiday, Greece is a wonderful place to take a baby on holiday.

HolidaysQueen Mon 21-Jul-08 09:24:43

We use washables at home but decided to use disposables on holiday. TBH, it wasn't just the washing but also because of the bulk in the suitcase because a baby doesn't usually get a luggage allowance so the nappies would take up loads of space in our two bags, and you can buy decent disposables throughout Europe. We took enough disposables (Moltex) to last us a few days and then bought some there.

If you really can't bear disposables, then you could compromise on WeeNees. You can get rid of the pad but keep the pants - think the pants can be used for several changes before they need to be replaced so fewer to take in the suitcase and less hassle washing them, and you are disposing of less waste. I know somebody who compromised on this for holidays after her DH said she was mad for spending ages every day washing out poo from her terries!

Like Gillian says, I would try not to feel guilty about it just for a week or so and just enjoy your holiday

elibumbum Mon 21-Jul-08 15:59:30

I use cloth at home and use disposables on holiday.

I don't like the chemicals from normal disposables going near DS's bum so I take eco nappies and also use biodegradable nappy sacks to reduce any eco guilt!

You can take the nappies out of the packet and line your suitcases with so they take up less room.

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 17:09:07

We use reusables at home and disposables on holiday and when travelling....

Have a cousin who is (Orthodox) Jew and she says that there are exceptions to keeping kosher when travelling.

Obviously religious conviction and eco conviction is different, I think one can make exceptions to rules....

Personally, I'd take a few for the plane and trip, but buy them there as otherwise you'll have the carry them.

SodTheBikiniDiet Mon 21-Jul-08 17:43:34

Thanks folks, you have relieved my guilt for now. I think I will buy some once I get over there otherwise I will just have a suitcase full of nappies and nothing else!

marvelmummy Tue 22-Jul-08 08:08:18

I think it would be easier for you to use disposables whilst on holiday due to the fact that there may not be facilites for washing nappies, and whilst on holiday you should relax and not need the constant worry of washing nappies incase baby runs out.

If you are really concerened about the environment then you can buy disposables which are biodegradable or depending on the cloth nappy, some of them can hold a disposable liner so you aren't chucking away much harmful rubbish.

Good luck on your holiday and whichever type of nappy you use bring more than you think you will need, for travel delays or diarrheoa etc.

Jane99Thomas Tue 22-Jul-08 08:58:57

I used disposables (Nature Baby from most supermarkets) for our recent holiday. Must admit it made life so much easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now