Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Going into corners and pooing in pull ups

(15 Posts)
Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 21:54:29

Not me but dd2(2.6).
We have been potty training her for about 3 weeks now and she is dry most of the time and will sometimes even ask to go to the toilet,even a couple of times during the night.
The problem is she will not poo on the potty or the toilet and will only poo in her pull ups.She usually hides in a corner and if you ask her if she needs to poo she will say no.
She also asks to see the poo in her pull ups when we clean her up???
She also wont wear proper pants.
Any ideas?

ilovemydog Sun 20-Jul-08 21:58:22

No advice, but my DD (just 2) did a poo in the dog bowl shock after saying she didn't need to go....

Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 22:02:53

lol

Bowddee Sun 20-Jul-08 22:06:27

What's her favourite character? I had exactly the same problem with DS, so I bought him some "Roary" pants and told him he could start to wear them when he started being a 'big boy' using the toilet properly. He's been dry ever since.

Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 22:07:19

Have tried the character pants

popmum Sun 20-Jul-08 22:28:10

this happens with a friend of mine, she just let her DS do this and eventually his dad said 'if you poo on the loo i'll get you a kite' and he did!! I think you'll find it will pass (ho ho) and when she is a bit older she'll go on the loo

Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 22:48:49

Poo for a kitegrin
Anymore suggestions?

WigWamBam Sun 20-Jul-08 22:56:41

My daughter did this for 18 months after she was dry in the day. If we suggested that she use the toilet, she became hysterical - you would have thought we were asking her to cut off her own arm.

We tried bribery, getting cross, not getting cross, more bribery, sticker charts ... absolutely nothing worked, because she simply would not do it. In the end we decided that the only thing we could do was relax about it and let her have her pull-up - at least she was having a poo rather than holding it in, and none of us were becoming stressed about it.

Are you happy enough to let her have a nappy or a pull-up for a poo? Because if you are then I'd recommend letting her carry on for a while. The less pressure you put on her, the better in the long run.

There are things you can try - some people recommend you make her stand in the toilet with her nappy on, then make her sit on the toilet, then cut a hole in the nappy ... all of which was just too much pressure for my dd. She had her own little corner where she went at the same time every day. Just letting her get on with it until she was ready to use the toilet was the only thing which worked.

Spidermama Sun 20-Jul-08 23:01:58

3 weeks is nothing. Don't worry.

DS did this and we tried all sorts of reasoning techniques then just decided to back off altogether. We took the heat out of it. We just calmly changed him without comment, when it happened. Sort of like stepping back to basics.

Within a very short space of time he was taking himself off to the loo. We just needed to step out of it and let him work it out for himself and not feel pressurised.

Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 23:06:50

Thanks for replies
I guess i will have to just accept it then and wait for her to ask ,it feels natural to ask if she needs to go to the toilet though.

nobodysfool Sun 20-Jul-08 23:10:43

Have you tried putting the potty in a private place.Maybe she feels self consious(sp?) having a poo in front of people.Could that be why she is going behind the sofa?

Beauregard Sun 20-Jul-08 23:39:52

ah good idea ,will try that thanks

MsHighwater Sun 20-Jul-08 23:48:14

DD was a bit like this. She went into her fairy pants happily and would ask for the loo but would get distressed and deny it when she obviously needed to poo. We had to put her in a pull up and she would poo straight away.

We got her over it by explaining the noise the poo would make landing in the toilet (Plop! Splash! blush) and suggesting she listen out for it. It took a day or two but it worked.

zazen Mon 21-Jul-08 00:20:08

Yes, I was just going to post about the fear from the noise of the splash - we used to sing a splish splash song with DD. blush

Also, three weeks is very soon to want it all to come together - it took us months and IMO it was more difficult than breastfeeding.

Have a star chart and ask her to chose her star / sticker for a splashy poop! We used all kinds of sea animals / fish for a poop, and jungle / desert animals for a piddle. Not sure what psychological associations we have set up there - but that's what therapy's for later grin

I also told DD that her poops were going down the tubes to have a party and that's where they liked to be - we used to wave them down!

Hey! Whatever it takes. grin

We also resorted to giving her white chocolate buttons (her first sweets) just so she would poop in the loo - she went through a little phase of holding on and denying she needed to go (after we STUPIDLY let her go one day without doing a poop - she got constipated - the HORROR).

Blimey, brings it all back. So glad we have finished that phase - as I said I found it more trying than establishing B/f which was no joke for me.

Good luck! Thinking of you.

katebee Thu 24-Jul-08 16:32:36

My DD was not interested in potty training at all until 3.3. Finally she is now in pants and wees every time on the loo and will ask when she needs to go..also dry at night sometimes.

However we have the same problem with poos..my DD will only poo in a nappy and asks for one when she needs to go. She poos standing up so I think this is one of the reasons she is unable to poo on the loo.

I had the same problem with my DS 3 yrs ago who also liked to Poo standing up. Both my children are prone to constipation so this could be a reason they find it hard to poo on the loo.

With my DS the HV said to cut bananas out of his diet and make sure he drank plenty. She also suggested putting him on the loo after breakfast and after tea and encouraging him to try to poo then....I was not optimistic but within 10 days of this strategy he did a poo on the loo and we have had no problems since.

I had hoped that things would be easier with my DD but as she is showing no interest in pooing on the loo I will have to try similar strategies with her...I keep hoping she will suddenly decide to poo on the loo..but no sign of this happening yet.

Wigwambam's advice sounds good for encouraging moving towards the loo for poos...I might try that too.

My DD also likes to examine her poos in her pullups!!

Luckily my DD loves her big girl pants..has some upsy daisy ones and peppa pig..maybe you could try buying pants with your dds favourite character on.

Good luck ...it sounds as though you are doing well if your DD is weeing on the potty at 2.6 ...I had no success whatsoever until after 3 with my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now