Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advice please fully toilet trained but refuses to wear big girls pants!!!

(12 Posts)
firstmum45 Sun 20-Jul-08 10:15:32

Has anyone had to deal with this one before my dd 3.5 is fully toilet trained but refuses to wear "big girls pants"

We tried potty training at 2.5 but dd was not ready so I decided to take the laissez-faire approach after seeing all the stress and mess it caused my peers potty training around that age. (you know they still thought there was something wrong with me because I wouldn't get on the potty training band wagon with them!)

So I just let things happen naturally my daughter is at pre school and eventually copied the other children and just started telling me when she wanted to use the toilet.

Brilliant no stress and no mess everyone is happy grin.

However it is as if her pull up pant is a comfort for her and she refuses to wear pants in fact she gets very very upset if I try to put them on her.

Have tried reward charts with promise of expensive toy but dd not into bribes.

My next ploy is when preschool has finished for the summer run out of nappies and see if she will wear pants.

Or should I not worry yet. She does know that to go to big girls school (primary) pants are required.

I asked this morning about wearing pants and she said she would wear them when she is 16!!grin

Any advice gratefully received.

TotalChaos Sun 20-Jul-08 10:17:09

DS would wear shorts but not pants for a while at this stage.

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 20-Jul-08 10:19:12

Show her a good run of disney films for the next week.

Then

hie you to Woolies for Princess Pants.

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 20-Jul-08 10:20:16

Oh meant to say - take her to see a slightly older girl who wears big pants.

firstmum45 Sun 20-Jul-08 10:26:45

Thanks TBGP have sort of tried that she likes peppa pig at the moment.

Took her to next sale and she chose some lovely peppa pig pants got very exicted about them but still refuses to wear them.

I think she is using this as another way to try to control mums behavior.

So that is why I don,t react negatively to her refusal to wear pants.

Tis very hard when inside you want to scream but those damn pants on!!!grin

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 20-Jul-08 10:35:31

I used swimming as a bribe.

Swimming nappies don't fit 3 year olds. Fact. You can't go swimming until you can wear big pants. Fact.

Doesn't swimming look fun! Oh wow, how splashy and fun, you you and her .....

firstmum45 Sun 20-Jul-08 11:13:01

Swimming thats worth a try.

I know from past experience that once we get dd wearing pants it won't be a problem tis just that first time.

She has asked to wear pants in the past and I was amazed but after 30mins she got all upset and wanted pull up pants back on.

itati Sun 20-Jul-08 11:17:24

I think take her shopping for some new pants for you and see if she takes the bait. Let her know how excited you are at getting new knickers and see if she would like to help you choose. Hopefully she will then want to get some for herself. if not, you chose some and then you have them for when you run out of pull ups. HTH.

merryandmad Sun 20-Jul-08 11:24:44

I think I must be in the house of cruel parenting because when my fully potty trained daughter wouldn't wear pants- I said that's fine- but you're not wearing pull ups either.
This lasted two days and she is now wearing big girl pants no problem
Go commando!

firstmum45 Sun 20-Jul-08 15:00:17

Yes may try this in summer hols but will pretend we have run out of nappies and have no money to buy any.

Have not tried this tact yet because most mornings are a rush to get ready for pre-school etc etc so have not got extra time to try.

Don't want to get into a battle of wills either.

Ariela Sun 20-Jul-08 20:11:59

Make sure she knows where the nappies are kept. Then remove them all bar about 3, and get her to help you by going and get a nappy each time....till oh dear there aren't any left what are we going to do?

firstmum45 Sun 20-Jul-08 23:20:31

Ariela thanks for the brilliant tip. Thats a good bit of child psychology

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now