Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

3 today - pants tomorrow! We're going cold turkey on nappies.....

(197 Posts)
Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:18:52

Is this a really bad idea?

We have tried potty training before a few months ago but DS1 treated the potty like an optional extra.

We have been building up to him not wearing nappies after his birthday and he seems to understand.

Does anyone have any advice/wisdom/experiences to share?

midnightexpress Sat 19-Jul-08 21:26:24

We are trying the same - started yesterday afternoon (ds1, 2.8). Like yours, he was treating the potty as an optional extra.

So far, so good. He had no accidents at all yesterday (we were home all afternoon), and today did a couple of pees while we were out - no big deal, just changed him quickly and carried on. He did seem a bit put out by the sensation of cold wind around damp nethers, which I am hoping may be a good thing as far as training goes.

So I'd say go for it. We've started a star chart where he can choose a sticker every morning and afternoon that he wears his pants (I thought doing it for accident-free am/pm was prob a bit too much pressure) and after 5 days he gets to go swimming. He seems a bit meh about that tbh. And he now says to me when I ask him for the umpteenth time if he wants to go, 'mummy why do you keep on asking me?'.

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:31:54

Thanks for that. I was considering a star chart of some description but couldn't decide on how he would earn the stickers!

He really wants 'The King' (from the Disney Cars film) to add to his car collection, so we have the perfect sweetener to encourage him.

He does 2 days at nursery and seems perfectly able to use the potty and stay dry all day whilst there, but always pee's on my sofa or rugs when he gets home!

I actually think washable nappies have been a bit of a hindrance with potty training because he is used to the damp nethers feeling IYKWIM

Dragonbutter Sat 19-Jul-08 21:34:35

We started rewarding DS1 with Cars cars but then he got a bit good and it was costing quite a bit of money.
We later switched it to chocolate coins.

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:41:05

DB are you stalking me? grin

The Disney cars are very expensive, fortunately my mum lives in America and has bought us a few for significantly less than they cost over here (10 dollars for 3!)

I couldn't find The King anyway in the UK for less than £8-10 shock

How long do you have to continue with the reward thing then? I was thinking about 3 weeks....

cafebistro Sat 19-Jul-08 21:42:44

We started potty training a few weeks ago with DS who's nearly 3. Once we put him into pants (cotton ones not pull ups) we didnt go back to nappies except at night obviously.
He can go for a few days with no accidents ( he uses potty or toilet with special seat) but then has several in one day. I think you just have to be patient and not expect too much too soon A star chart is a good idea, we did a star for every wee in potty and when he had a certain number of stars could have a treat ( cbeebies comic). You should really praise them when they manage to use potty- especially a poo- and dont make too much of accidents.

spaghettiarms Sat 19-Jul-08 21:43:42

Good luck.

DS1 went to stay with my Mum and she said "do you want me to potty train him whilst he is here" I thought she was joking so I just said "brilliant - go for it"
I picked him up the next evening and for 48 hours she had just taken his nappy off. (not night time)
She showed him where the potty was in the kitchen and he missed it the first time but that was it. He didn't do sitting down he liked target practice standing up. We never looked back.

Could work really well... smile

funnypeculiar Sat 19-Jul-08 21:45:43

Cold turkey the way to go imho.

We're on day 1 with dd (& yes, I'm stalking you too smile) - I'm going with a sticker per product produced in the loo - and that's her lot - but then she is a big sticker fan!

Good luck... grin

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:47:19

Oooh standing up <controversial>! I hadn't considered that approach - hmm, I wonder if he would take to it. It would definitely make it easier when using big toilets when out and about I think.

Dragonbutter Sat 19-Jul-08 21:48:48

yes, sorry about the stalking!

we got 'the king' in a box set with 4 other cars. was about a tenner.

you have to admit, i'm a fairly useful stalker.

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:49:09

So a sticker for every wee/poo then...how many stickers would it be reasonable to set as a target before we reward him with *The King* do you think?

CarGirl Sat 19-Jul-08 21:49:18

I thought cold turkey was the only way to do it really!

We had a day of loads of accidents and then very very few.

midnightexpress Sat 19-Jul-08 21:49:41

Was going to say, ds1 hasn't managed a poo in the potty/loo yet (or in his pants though, to be fair) he seems to wait until he has a nappy on for sleep and then do it - not sure what to do about this one, just lots of encouragement and praise.

Also, I have been taking him off to the loo after dinner for a few mins sit-down on the potty in the hope that he might produce something. As he gets a story and a bit of mum-time without ds2 around he seems to quite enjoy this, though as yet hasn't done anything in the potty!

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:52:01

DB I think we may be long lost sisters or something; even our children are similar ages! I love your mosaics by the way.

I can't believe you got the king that cheap - I have blardy well looked everywhere after promising DS1 he could have him for his toilet efforts!

lulumama Sat 19-Jul-08 21:54:02

we did cold turkey with DD 3 weeks ago and she is 3 the end of this month, it took a day to get her from weeing on the floor, to asking to go to the loo, she is also now dry almost every night. lots of praise and reward for the first day she did it ! also took her to the shop to choose her own knickers..

funnypeculiar Sat 19-Jul-08 21:54:18

As a miserable non-reward giver, I'd make the first reward fairly attainable, so that it creates the desirable sense of having achieved - I'd sort of want him to get it the first or second day... Perhaps 5 stickers?? Although that totally depends on his urination frequency doesn't it - ds did (if memory recalls) about 23 wees on his first potty training day - he would jump onto the potty & dribble drops out at the slightest pretext. Whereas Dd today has produced horse-like quantities of urine every couple of hours...

DS STILL wees sitting down and he's 4 - I am very grateful - he makes an ungodly mess when he stands up....

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:55:18

Cargirl - the cold turkey approach is for me really...NO getting fed up with mopping up wee and sticking him back in a nappy for my convenience this time hmm

Midnightexpress - I think it is having DS2 around that is the hindrance, he is so demanding all the time, I worry about snapping at DS1 when he has an accident.

Dragonbutter Sat 19-Jul-08 21:56:17

the king with his pals

grin

Dragonbutter Sat 19-Jul-08 21:57:06

oh, out of stock.

not so grin

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 21:58:00

Hmm from our experience with the chocolate reward last time, I can say that he does tend to just dribble lots of tiny wees when he fancies a treat. I am really struggling as to where to set the bar for rewards. I don't want to make it complicated by demanding big wees.

moodlumthehoodlum Sat 19-Jul-08 21:58:30

Can we join? DS was three last week, and has been useless at weeing in the loo. Well not useless, but certainly pretty slapdash. he is only being bribed with a smartie for each wee, if he knew that the current currency for successful loo use is a car from cars, maybe he'd be a bit better grin

He knows exactly what he's doing. He just wees in his trousers when he's busy or tired.

midnightexpress Sat 19-Jul-08 21:59:58

That sounds familiar washersaurus - ds2 quite a handful here too. In fact I think it's helping though in a way, because ds1 feels like he's getting loads of attention from me and loads of praise (gawd, makes it sound like I never praise him normally. I'm not a crap mum, honest).

Washersaurus Sat 19-Jul-08 22:09:25

So do I badger him every 15 mins to sit on the potty, or expect him to use it when he needs it?

I'm not very confident about this can you tell? grin

moodlumthehoodlum Sat 19-Jul-08 22:15:14

With dd, it worked not to pester her, she got annoyed. I think i ended up pestering her every half hour or so.

With ds, tho' I have to spend considerable amounts of time persuading him to sit on the loo. And even then he does a massive wee there, and then 10mins later wees all over the carpet. And finds it hilarious.

I do not.

And I'm not going anywhere near weeing standing up. No way jose.

funnypeculiar Sat 19-Jul-08 22:17:10

I would gently ask - maybe not quite as often as every 15 mins, but i certainly wouldn't expect him to initiate things on the first day - in fact I'd be very impressed if he does!

Sorry, can't help much more ito setting the bar for rewards, - S'pose it'd be too vague to just say he can have it at the end of the day if he does well? smile

Lots of whooping and excitement (as OTT as you like) = very important, imho. 'Special' books to read only on the loo are good too (when you want them to sit there for a while rather than just jump on, say no & jump off) And get them to show off their pants to everyone who comes through, or even near the front door. Assume you've chosen pants together/have wonderful Cars type pants (and after all, you don't want to get them wet, they'd rust smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now