Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

newborn -bowel movement- desperately seeking advice!!

(13 Posts)
ohmamma Fri 18-Jul-08 21:26:57

hi,

I am bfeeding as much as possible my newborn son, topping up with formula only at night. He is a week old tomorrow.

He passed his meconium twice while still at the hosp but in he last 4 days he hasnt poo!!! is this normal???

ScaryHairy Fri 18-Jul-08 21:29:36

At this age my daughter pooed a lot, so I don't know whether not pooing is normal and would check with a medical person. Can you call the hospital/community midwives tomorrow and ask?

justjules Fri 18-Jul-08 21:30:27

i would post this in breast feeding too,

my dd is a week old and i have had some great advice about feeding,

fwiw, dd has had lots of poops,

black, then green (like seaweed) then yellow,

she is bf, although i admit i have struggled with it,

BigBadMousey Fri 18-Jul-08 21:50:17

bump

Pollyanna Fri 18-Jul-08 21:54:49

speak to your mw - in the same situation we (me and baby )were re-admitted to hospital as the doc did have concerns that all was ok internally.

it was fine as baby did massive poo while there all olver a junior doctor grin

sorry typing while feeding

Pollyanna Fri 18-Jul-08 21:56:01

should have said my ds also passed meconium and then no more poo for a few days.

ib Fri 18-Jul-08 22:08:05

No, it is NOT normal. Usually a sign baby is not drinking well. Formula at this point can co,promise your supply, so that may well be the reason.

Please please contact a rl bf counsellor or lactation consultant, you'll need help to sort it out, and the sooner the better!

BlueberryPancake Fri 18-Jul-08 22:08:44

It took quite a few days after having passed meconium for DS2 to have a proper poo. I was worried about it and called the health visitor, she said it was normal. If you are worried you can call her/visit.

ilovemydog Fri 18-Jul-08 22:30:46

agree with just jules - put this on the feeding threads. There are people who know about these things!

ches Sat 19-Jul-08 00:36:54

They should poo for just about every feed at this age. I would call the HV/Midwife/Pediatrician/etc. And I must agree, don't do the formula thing, there's no reason to and it could be to blame (it's harder to digest) plus can compromise your supply at this stage.

kiskidee Sat 19-Jul-08 01:08:30

here is a breastfeeding log which shows how often a newborn breastfeeding baby ought to be feeding weeing and pooing. It will still benefit you to print off and start to use.

Your baby does not sound like he is feeding often enough or possibly effectively.

You need to contact your midwife in the morning so that they can come out to see your baby. Additionally, call one of the following helplines here on the right hand side of the page. The NCT Line opens at 8 am tomorrow.

sushistar Sat 19-Jul-08 01:13:41

See someone tomorrow. All may be fine, but very small babies can become dehydrated very quickly. If you can, try to stop giving baby formula - tonight, let him suck as long and often as he wants at the breast. Make sure he's opening his mouth really wide and taking in a big mouthful, not just your nipple. That way he is more likely to get more milk.

HolidaysQueen Mon 21-Jul-08 09:38:57

I had the same problem with my DS - he didn't poo after passing his meconium until he was 5 days old. Here's the thread I had.

Like others, I think the formula may be part of the problem because you need your milk supply to be stimulated often in the first few days so maybe try as sushistar says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now