Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cleaning a potty

(12 Posts)
callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 12:43:07

So - I have been dropping the contents in the loo, wiping it out with tissue then hosing it in the garden - not very practical grin

What is the best/most efficient option?

I have a loo seat for her but she does not feel safe on it yet - likes her feet on the floor.

merryandmad Fri 18-Jul-08 18:02:14

I drop contents in the loo, wipe it out with tissue and then spray with antibacterial spray (from kitchen- but have now brought one that stays in the loo). Then dry again with tissue and flush all the contents away.

I could not imagine going into the garden and using the hosepipe- too time consuming especially first thing in the morning!!

merryandmad Fri 18-Jul-08 18:02:55

DD's poos are quite firm though!! Sorry if TMI

beansprout Fri 18-Jul-08 18:04:41

I used to tip contents into the loo, then get rid of the rest with wipes and anti-bac spray.

olivo Fri 18-Jul-08 20:36:27

me too, empty, rinse and anti bac wipe or spray.
lool at garden hose grin

NellyTheElephant Fri 18-Jul-08 21:53:33

tip in loo and hold potty in the flush stream of the loo while you flush to wash out most of it (easier to do with some types of potties than others....), then spray with antibacterial spray and wipe out with loo roll.

callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 21:56:53

blush Sorry the hose is so amusing - hope you had a giggle grin My neighbours must think I am mad.

Good idea about the antibac spray. We are new to this, I am not training her yet as she is only 22m but for a few months now on the days we have at home she asks to use the potty for a poo. No wees yet but I will work on that in a few months. Perhaps I need to read a book grin

merryandmad Fri 18-Jul-08 22:05:24

My dd1 carried her full potty out of the toilet at my parents house, though the hall-kitchen-dining room to the lounge to show her grandad that she'd done a wee on the potty. (She is 3.5) She was soo proud. grin

Potty training is such fun. hmm

We are now starting on dd2(2) who is copying her big sis.

Good on you for starting early- we had problems with dd1 and had to leave it quite late- don't want to repeat that again

FrazzledFairyFay Fri 18-Jul-08 22:11:00

Wee -tip into loo then wipe out with one of DD's wet toddler wipes.
Poo - tip into loo, wipe out with loo roll and then an anti-bac household wipe.

I also wipe it out with an antibac wipe at the end of each day.

BroccoliSpears Fri 18-Jul-08 22:17:03

I don't use anti bac.

I tip poo into the loo (or lift it with loo roll) and then wipe the potty with paper and then wash it with soap. Then I wash the basin.

For wees I just tip, swish with water and tip that into the loo too. Done.

FrazzledFairyFay Fri 18-Jul-08 22:24:38

I mainly use the anti-bac because my 13 month old Ds loves nicking his sister's potty and running down the hallway with it on his head grin

callmeovercautious Sat 19-Jul-08 21:04:25

Well - today I did as suggested but with ecover kitchen spray as I don't use anti-bac stuff. No funny smell so far grin

Thanks for all the messages. Merryandmad - it is more her starting early tbh. She was telling me "poo" at 12m so I thought we should inherit her cousins potty and see what happened, I have been hosing for a while hence the OP hmm. No wees yet though. I got carried away when she ws 18m as I had a few days off work and thought I would try knickers, she thought she was in a nappy so had a wee and ran the whole length of our lounge diner whilst weeing. I think she was trying to run away from the cold thing on her legs hmm Lots of cleaning that day!

Once she is 2+ we are taking a week off work and doing it full time - I will be back then I am sure grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now