Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best advice to start training 2 and half yr old DS

(7 Posts)
pandi52 Fri 18-Jul-08 10:58:49

He would run about with a nappy full of pee and poo and doesn't seem to annoy him!! surley at this age he is just being lazy as he can talk really well. Has anyone found a best approach to start??

lizandlulu Fri 18-Jul-08 11:10:55

my dd is 2.9 and has been in pants for 3 weeks, although like your ds she would happily leave wee and poo in her nappy. she would tell me after she had done a poo but not be in a rush to get herself changed. if she didnt tell me, i would only know she had done one if i got a whiff!! she would be happy as larry.

one day we was staying in and i put a pair of pants on her, not to potty train, just to see how she got on with them, and apart form a few accidents, she has been fine.

how about trying him in pants, and see what he hinks to the feeling of being wet. he may just tell you to aviod wetting himself?

midnightexpress Fri 18-Jul-08 14:29:27

I'll watch this with interest. DS1 is 2.8 and we're planning to embark on this. He too can talk really well and knows what's going on with pees and poos. He got some pants and has tried them on a few times but seems to treat them as a bit of a novelty, to be worn as and when he chooses, and today declared he doesn't want to wear big boy pants and will 'just stay with nappies'.

<sigh>

I am thinking bribery might be effective - something along the lines of a star chart and a present at the end of 5 days? Don't know if anyone else has tried this?

SoupKitchen Fri 18-Jul-08 14:35:54

I started one week ago with DS 2.4.
He also never seemed bothered by a dirty nappy, but often semed to go a long time before he weed after I put a clean nappy on, so knew he had some capacity.
His speech is not too good but can indicate by touching his groin ares and saying mummy.

He is only having one accident a day and is doing really well. Surprisingly he has woken up with a dry nappy twice this week.

I think sometimes it is worth a go, they may surprise you. If not revert after a 3 day trial to nappies and try again in a couple of months.

Good luck

pandi52 Fri 18-Jul-08 15:08:20

thanks all, i will keep you posted. Will try the big boy pants and star chart and see how we go!!

PortAndLemon Fri 18-Jul-08 15:29:26

At around 2.6 DS started asking to sit on the potty but rarely/never produced anything. Then at around 2.8 something seemed to click and he started to ask for it when he actually needed to go, so we started potty training then (with addition of dinosaur pants for motivation). It was very easy, only a few accidents and never any poo accidents.

pandi52 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:17:36

its day 2 in the potty training house. Ds is in big boy pants and i made a train track sticker chart. all is going well- 3 pee accidents y'day, and one poo in the big toilet. Is it normal to pee about 10 times a day??? i try and keep juice to meal and snack times so it isn't a constant flow. but i have to say the whole process isn't as traumatic as i thought!!! DS can tell me he needs to go without me asking all the time, (Mostly)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now