Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So lets talk reusable wipes....

(30 Posts)
4andnotout Thu 17-Jul-08 21:43:10

DD3 is in cloth full time we never use disposables and it occurred to me why am i wasting money on wet wipes when i can make and wash my own. I have bought a plastic tub to put them in but what liquid should i put them in? How many should i need? I only do a nappy wash every 4-5 days as drypail with 2 big buckets.
Thanks

slng Thu 17-Jul-08 21:50:47

Hello! I used to use little cotton squares from the Nappy Lady.

They also have suggestions what liquid to use

frogs Thu 17-Jul-08 21:50:48

I just used old flannels or bits of old sheet or T-shirt cut up with zigzag edges. I didn't put them into a liquid, just ran them under the tap to dampen them and chucked them in the bucket with the nappies.

I reckon you'd need 24, minimum. But really, just use whatever old cloths come to hand, cut up into wipe-sized squares, and away you go. You can make a second batch (use a different colour though!) and use them as face and hand wiping cloths.

mum2oandh Thu 17-Jul-08 21:53:29

Hemp and fleece squares from ellas house nappies, cheap, fab and post free.
I keep them in a tupperware, half full of chamomlie tea. Works brilliantly, and is very healing and soothing.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 21:53:48

you know that stack of old flannels in ghastly 1970s patterns in your mum's airing cupboard?

steal them

If changing in bathroom run under tap, otherwise wet with water from sports bottle

4andnotout Thu 17-Jul-08 22:18:13

Oh have just found 1/2 a metre of fleece that i bought months ago with the intention of making fleece liners grin Now going to find some old terry squares and then will ask my mum to sew 'em all wink

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 22:19:18

the fleece won't even need sewing

4andnotout Thu 17-Jul-08 22:36:41

I pinched an idea from another site of sewing (well mum sewing) the terry to one side leaving a pocket for my hand to go in, so i can use the terry side for poopy bits grin

YumeeMumee Thu 17-Jul-08 23:11:26

We also use cheap flannels or cotton squares...tho do still use wipes when out and about. I got some fleece squares but didn't like them, I didn't find that they wiped particularly well?!

The ole cotton wool still comes out if bums are particularly sore!

BigBadMousey Fri 18-Jul-08 10:20:58

You can just chuck the ones you have used for wiping a wet bum in your normal wash if you like - I do grin - that should mean you wont need so many. I use a cut up cot sheet for mine and they dry very quickly.

I used to make up potions for mine but now I have less time I just run them under a warm tap before I need them - DD2 prefers it that way as the ones I used to soak in solution were always very cold by the time I used them.

ToastAddict Fri 18-Jul-08 12:27:46

Sorry to have to ask this but .... do you put really pooey wipes in the nappy wash? I'm worried I will block something in the washing machine! grin blush
I was thinking I'd have to use a disposable wipe for this - am I wrong then?

MrsBadger Fri 18-Jul-08 12:29:41

lumps of poo go down the loo

smeary poo goes in the wash

isaidno Fri 18-Jul-08 12:34:47

these are brill - but I hav found an old towel and some fleece and I'm going to get my mum to make me some more. I just shove them in the nappy wash.

ToastAddict Fri 18-Jul-08 12:36:25

Thanks smile
I did not foresee becoming obsessed with nappies and their contents!! How my life has changed! grin

Flamesparrow Fri 18-Jul-08 12:37:57

ooh oooh ooh - I dunno if any of you are interested but I just got in some really cool looking spray stuff (not listed it yet) - it is like a foam soap thing, you spray directly onto wipe/arse and use that, so no carrying damp wipes around with you until you need them etc

I can't remember how much they are meant to be sold for or what is in them offhand blush but they look lovely!

isaidno Fri 18-Jul-08 12:39:57

flame - that sounds interesting! depends how much it is though..

callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 12:40:57

I rinse poo ones and pop them in the normal wash.

I found 3 flannels for £1 in our local £ shop so bought a few packs and use them.

Flamesparrow Fri 18-Jul-08 12:44:47

£3 for a 2oz spray thing, £3.50 with postage (postage will be slightly more when i list on site, so mn people email for em! bumfluffnappies at gmail do com)

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 18-Jul-08 12:45:06

I used a small tupperware box that I kept water in and a few fleece wipes. I kept it in with the nappies, so where I changed DS. This meant that there was always one wet when I needed it, no faffing with bottles of water. Just squeeze it out and off you go.

Flamesparrow Fri 18-Jul-08 12:46:30

2oz bottle is about a dvd width long

Flamesparrow Fri 18-Jul-08 12:47:09

(sorry for selling hijack blush I am excited and have no arse to try them on!!)

BigBadMousey Fri 18-Jul-08 12:54:25

If only you were nearer flame - I have two candidates here you are more than welcome to grin

ToastAddict Fri 18-Jul-08 16:43:13

It's weird though, isn't it - I'm happy to use reusable wipes for my daughter. But if someone said to me "right, no more loo roll for you lady, it's bits of cloth that you wash every 2-3 days", would I be quite so keen?

4andnotout Fri 18-Jul-08 16:47:05

Im the same with washable sanitary protection, im more than happy (some may say slightly addicted) for my dd to wear washable nappies but to wash my own sani pads...hell no!

Flamesparrow Fri 18-Jul-08 19:49:40

washable san pro is soooooooooo nice though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now