Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

4.5 year old weeing everywhere, please help!

(4 Posts)
dingdong05 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:24:01

My ds has been potty trained since last christmas and has done well- kind of.
He does the standard thing of having accidents when he's busy but it's been getting worse recently. 3 times in one day, and we were in the house. There's an "accident" most days now, sometimes more than once a day. When I ask what happened he says he didn't notice, but I can't believe that as he notices other times.
Then this morning I got up and he was watching tv in his night time nappy, and he'd pooed in it (he hasn't done that in about a year) and had wet it so much his pjs and the couch were soaking. He said he'd done it when he'd turned the tv on ages before, so he'd been sitting in it all for ages.
And he didn't mind.

What can I do? I don't want to get him paranoid about it and develop a complex, but I need to get it through to him that he must keep himself clean.

I must confess to being pretty worried about this, any words of wisdom out there?

oldtimerfulltimer Thu 17-Jul-08 23:20:53

hello dingdong05. sorry to hear you're stressed about ds's toilet habits - I don't have any real advice I don't think except that boys seem to go up and down with their habits. My ds now 5.5 has been really good with toilet stuff since about age 3 but periodically he will regress with his poos usually if he's worried about something - once it was a change at nursery when his friends moved on and then at school learning about friendship hieararchy and all that complicated stuff - it went on in each case for about a month and we are currently experiencing it again and it is driving us mad - major cleaning up - pooey pants, cleaning bums etc as you can imagine. He says nothing is bothering him but there may be something to do with school changes again (its that time). He says he doesn't notice the poo coming. Wisdom has it that boys can take as long as up to 7/8 to completely settle into their toilet habits. Hallelujah!! On top of that my daughter (2.5) is doing similar- she's been using toilet/potties since 2nd birthday precisely and doing really well and then she'll have an off time but she is really copying her brother with the poo situation - it is majorly pooey in our home right now. Well got that off my chest - maybe it could reassure you that there are off times or maybe it'll scare the pants off you!! Good Luck.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 17-Jul-08 23:22:52

Is he in school? Has something happened in your and his life recently?

dingdong05 Sun 20-Jul-08 13:41:54

Hello there, sorry I disappeared, haven't been able to get on line...
He's staying on at nursery for another year QS, and he has been having some difficulty with friendships outside nursery but this has been going on for longer than that.
Hmm, I'll have to think on it, but rather than making wild stabs in the dark I'll start keeping a closer eye now, and hopefully a pattern will emerge.
As for sitting in his own poo and not minding, bth he was like that when he was in nappies, I despaired of getting him potty trained, but he took to it well (even though he would have stayed in them given half the chance) so the whole idea of him sitting in mess without a care isn't new.
It's good to know I may have another 3.5 years or so of this oldtimer... now where did I put that gin...
Thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now