Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

It's day 8 and my DS still hasn't pooed

(14 Posts)
MadameCheese Thu 17-Jul-08 11:18:33

So he's been doing this not pooing thing for about 3 weeks now but the longest he's gone is 6 days. He's 14 weeks and totally breastfed. He's getting a bit miserable now and I've tried massage, baths etc. Any other ideas would be gratefully received

FrazzledFairyFay Thu 17-Jul-08 11:28:16

I didn't bf for very long so am no expert, but when my ff DS couldn't poo i gave him a teaspoon of orange juice and that seemed to get things going.

Hopefully someone with bf experience will be along in a minute with some other suggestions.

girlywhirly Thu 17-Jul-08 12:52:30

I assume you are getting plenty of wet nappies? Perhaps a little extra boiled water if not. Try the orange juice too. Be prepared for a dirty nappy of monumental proportions!!!!!

ScaryHairy Thu 17-Jul-08 13:04:27

I would not give him orange juice or water (certainly not OJ since 14 weeks is too young for weaning).
He is entirely breastfed and this is really very common (just search on here for threads- there are tonnes of them). He may be a bit grizzly, but as long as he doesn't seem to be in pain there isn't a problem.

FWIW, my daughter went something like 2 weeks without a poo at one point and it really is not the same as constipation (which ff babies can get because their food is harder to digest).

MadameCheese Thu 17-Jul-08 13:04:52

Nappies are usually very wet so no problems with getting enough fluid.

MadameCheese Thu 17-Jul-08 13:07:01

Btw he just did a massive fart in the bath with DH

isaidno Thu 17-Jul-08 13:18:09

My 2 Ds would regularly go over 10 days without poo - but it was a big one when it finally arrived!

neolara Thu 17-Jul-08 13:22:14

My DD went 10 days without pooing once. Over a week was pretty normal for her when she was a couple of months old. She was fully BF. I just used to wait it out, and then be prepared to a huge one when it arrived.

MadameCheese Thu 17-Jul-08 14:25:28

Were your babies really miserable though when they didn't poo? It's not so much the lack of bowel action as the change in him as he's normally really happy.

girlywhirly Thu 17-Jul-08 14:37:57

Maybe one is on its way?

I'm not much help as I wished my DS would poo a bit less! Also fully breastfed, and 12 dirty nappies in 24hrs when newborn, but still 4 -5 at 14 wks. At least they didn't smell bad!

Lucky for your DH he didn't follow through in the bath!

Notquitegrownup Thu 17-Jul-08 14:49:13

You could try posting under Breast and Bottle Feeding, rather than nappies. There's bound to be an expert there.

Have you tried the babymassage thing of moving your hand in a circle over his tum? I remember being warned at babymassage class to go one way, not the other, as one way would make them poo - but I can't remember which direction it was. It might have been clockwise for poos! If you do both, it might help!

My bf ds1 was a once-a-week (or ten days) man too, though it didn't make him miserable. (DS2 was also exclusively bf, but pooed 3 or 4 times a day! Bit of a shock after what I was used to!)

isaidno Thu 17-Jul-08 16:23:51

mine were grumpy by day 10!

smellyeli Thu 17-Jul-08 16:34:14

Don't worry - perfectly normal for BF babies to go for a week or so without a poo. Longest I've heard of is 10 days. My DD - 13 weeks now - sometimes goes a week with nothing and then it's as if a cork has been pulled and we can hardly manage to leave the house!! I'm not sure about giving anything like OJ or water, as the problem is't actually constipation - but I've had some success with gripe water, especially the couple of times that it seems to have been bothering her. (Day 7 plus!) Otherwise you just have to wait it out!

The massage thing is a reverse 'C' shape that's supposed to help tummy aches, I think.

Good luck - my sister apparently (when a baby) did such a massive poo that it filled her babygro right down to the feet. Hope that doesn't happen.......

MadameCheese Thu 17-Jul-08 17:11:56

Thanks everyone, I'm massaging in the direction the colon runs as that seems to make sense, he certainly seems to like it. I am actually looking forward to P day !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now