Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

desperately need help trying to potty train DS

(19 Posts)
franfoxy2003 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:53:43

my DS is 2 years 4 months and he wont potty train as soon as i mention potty or he see's it he has a right strop and screams and screams. If i take nappy off him he gets even worse and if i put pants on him god help me! he knows when he needs changing etc but will not use potty or toilet, i cannot stand the screaming so end up giving into him. he will only sit on it if he has sweets (my mother started that one grrr) which i am not doing every single time!

I have tried everything, playing with him while he is on it, reading to him putting his fav programme on HELP!

im at the end of my teather and nappies are costing me a fortune cos he wee's so much cos he is sooo big now!

PLEASE HELP

Flum Wed 16-Jul-08 21:55:56

How long have you tried for?

You could try the pants and wellies system. They don't like having wet feet apparently.

Or you could ditch it for 3 months

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:05

Stop....don't try anymore. Let him know the potty is there for when he wants it and leave it for a month or so. The more you push them to potty train, the further you can push them back. My ds is two now and we have put him on the potty a few times and he's gone mad! Pampers do bigger nappies so you can buy nappies for him or we use Huggies size 6 which do hold quite a bit of wee and don't find that we need more than 4/5 a day

kittywise Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:27

I'd say he's not ready and pushing it will only make things worse, even though YOU want him dry.
Dd3 (2.6) shows no sign of wanting to be out of nappies, no sign at all. DD2 took herself out of nappies at 2.
They are all different, just go with the flow, trying to force him to train will end up making you both cry!!

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 21:58:25

I agree with both Flum and Jimmy (waves at the puss!).

If he is not ready, it will not help buy pushing him, it could make it take longer.

Leave it a month, leave the potty around and just let him know that if he wants it he can use it, if he does not want it, no big deal. He will take an interest when he is ready.

franfoxy2003 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:59:49

ok i shall stop for a while but i thought he wanted to cos he stands next to toilet and copies DH when he is going??? what signs can i expect he wants to? he knows when he is wet and when he has done a poo cos says 'wet' or 'poo poo bum' so i thought he was ready!

my family keep saying he should be dry by now and HV did too!

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 22:01:09

Pav!! Mwah! Hoping to go to Plymouth in August...watch this space! Depends on whether my MIL will visit from Syria...for a month...<Puss gibbers to self in a corner>

My DH is going on about potty training DS and I'm fed up with explaining until I'm blue in the face that he's just not ready for it. My friend waited until her little girl was three but she went right into it with ease and minimal accidents so its worth waiting until they are ready imo...

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 22:03:35

Ignore HV - I always do wink

DS takes an interest in me going to the toilet - he wonders where my pee pee is!! lol We tell him its the big potty for mummy and daddy. He tells us when he's pooed as well but he still doesn't want to use the potty. I think its when they get to the stage where they are aware of what they are done and they are bothered by it that you can start to introduce the potty...or if they start telling you before they want to go and you can then say do you want to use the potty and take it from there. We do leave the potty lying around so he's got used to it and he sits on it fully clothed while playing so I guess that's something!

kittywise Wed 16-Jul-08 22:04:44

There are three stages really
1) child aware that they are wet/dirty

2) Child aware that they are actually going to have a wee/ poo NOW but it's not enough time to control it or get to a potty.

3) there is an awareness of sensation with enough time to go to the potty/toilet

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:05:31

Fran - he is close then if he is showing an interest, that is great. I would encourage that, praise him when he tells you he has done a poo or a wee, show him how to flush the toilet, ask him if he wants to sit on the potty/toilet after daddy has been but casually and dont push it if he says no.

What is your HV thinking? From what I understand, potty training can occur sometime between 2 and 4 as normal. It i not necessary for him to be dry, unless he wants to be.

<puss - meet up with the kids in CPark if you make it? I will buy you an ice cream>

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:27

Pav - done deal! Do me good to pant walk up Milehouse Hill...I'm fancy a pasty lately....shall we chuck a Warren's pasty in as well...obv not for the kids as that would be one step away from Greggs sausage rolls wouldn't it?? grin

franfoxy2003 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:55

he will quite happily sit on the toilet with the lid down but not if lid is up! he knows how to flush it he does it after me or DH have used toilet! he is interested in us going because he always follows us and says 'mummy wee wee or daddy wee wee' we leave potty lying around and he will sit on it fully clothed but not without nappy on!

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 22:09:46

Fran - just like my DS...they are close, but not quite there yet...so, lets relax a bit before we have to be one of those mums that whip the potty out mid meal in Pizza Express or at the Tescos checkout!! grin

kittywise Wed 16-Jul-08 22:09:50

I'll talk to myself thenhmm

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:51

<hugs Kitty to bosom> you are not talking to yourself! smile

franfoxy2003 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:13:16

sorry kitty wasnt ignoring you, he doesnt know when he needs to go yet just knows when he has been!

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:20:59

Kitty - DD is at the second/almost third stage....she says 'potty, potty, potty' and by the time I have got it, she goes 'oh, poo'd! (she gets confused with wee and poo!) and I run off to get cleaning stuff! grin

Fran - sounds like you are doing everything right, just continue to encourage what he is already doing, it will happen soon I am sure smile

franfoxy2003 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:23:36

thanks for your help girlies!

kittywise Thu 17-Jul-08 07:15:07

Thank you ladies smile < sulk over>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now