Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please come and tell me that my DH isn't right and he is being a knob

(26 Posts)
suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:40:23

DS is 19 months and has never slept through. He is now out of our bed and is able to fall asleep on his own in his cot for his daytime sleep. He is going through a 'phase' (IMO) of not sleeeping well and this is due to more teeth coming through. DH reckons that it is tied in with me switching to cloth nappies about 2 months ago. I think this is bollocks and he is stressing this point as he can't be arsed with them when DS needs changing.
So........can cloth nappies affect a baby's sleep pattern?

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 16-Jul-08 21:45:34

I do find that ds sleeps (marginally) better in plastic than in cloth. (This means that, the one time he did sleep through happened to be a night he was in plastic.)

BUT I am sure this is down to ds being a champion wee-er and his cloth night nappy being a gigantic, badly-folded square of terrycloth - it weighs about 2lbs when wet (ie, by 3am).

When he's teething, as now, his sleep is so crap we could nappy him in rose petals, 'twould make no difference. [haggard]

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:49:01

Cheers PHD, bloody hard work isn't it. Last night after finally going to bed at 10 shockhe woke at 1sh, 3ish, 4 and 5 and was up for the day at 6. And no, this is not unusual. <<yawns>>

divastrop Wed 16-Jul-08 21:51:23

i did notice my 2 youngest dd's woke alot more when i got different disposable nappies that werent so absorbent as the pampers id used previously,so there may be something in it(ive never used cloth so dont really know).however,like phdlife my 16mo dd3 is teething and it makes not a shite of difference what is on her bottom,she still wakes up every nightsad

puffylovett Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:33

what made you switch to cloth, suwoo ?

jes74 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:39

i have 4 dc that have all worn cloth nappies all 4 have slept well despite padded bums.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:46

No can do I'm afraid grin

kittywise Wed 16-Jul-08 21:53:42

It's very hard to know really. It's probably a mixture of both things. If your ds is sensitive to when he is wet then that could well be waking him.

PortAndLemon Wed 16-Jul-08 21:54:10

They probably can. Pretty much anything can affect a baby's sleep pattern. But it's a long step from that to deciding that it has actually affected it.

What sort are you using overnight? I always liked to use something with fleece next to DS's skin as a night nappy as it seemed to keep him drier.

You could always beg a disposable from a friend and try your DS in that for one night as an experiment.

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:54:53

My DS is obsessed with bins and we had to put every nappy in the dustbin each time. I was carefully recycling everything else and seeing just nappies in my dustbin made me feel so guilty that I switched. I love them but lazy arse DH is not so keen.

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:02

I am using minkis after bumbles just weren't enough. His skin IS dry. Why not VVV? spill!!

dylsmum1998 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:08

neither of mine have slept well ds was in disposables, dd in washables.
ds slept through when he moved out of cot into bed
dd slept through when she was potty trained at day, and she sleeps even better now she is potty trained at night

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Jul-08 21:57:00

I use a mix of nappies and don't notice a difference tbh. However on "heatwave" nights (i.e. once or twice this year!) I prefer to use a disposable on my 11 month old dd - seems less clammy but that is just my preference.

My dh is fine with us using cloth nappies. My friend's dh was reluctant, so she just let him get on with it. When he changed the dcs he put them in disposables, and she continued with cloth. Perhaps that may be the way forward if you still want him to change nappies (dh and I tend to share nappy changing 50/50 when we are both at home.)

hth

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:57:40

Oh god, its a long time until any of those things dylsmum. DD slept through at 16 weeks envy and from then on.

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 21:58:27

I work evenings so DH has to do the bedtime change and thats it- 3 night a week.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:44

sympathies, suwoo. Ds goes down well but wakes like clockwork at 3:30 (if not once, sometimes twice, before that!). And then, try as he might, he can't get properly back to sleep, he just thrashes around moaning. And moans. And tries to sleep on top of me. When he's not teething, co-sleeping is the best. When he is, it is hell...

I think there are cloth nappies and there are cloth nappies, iykwim. Ours are beyond "padding", as jes74 says - he looks like a tellytubby. It might be worth trying a couple of different ones second-hand, to see if that makes a difference, but it sounds like the issue is convincing your dh. Good luck with that

puffylovett Wed 16-Jul-08 22:02:14

I've switched to eco disposables just purely for convenience and now DS is walking, but he was in cloth right up to 14 months. However, I've always put him in 1 disposable at night, and that saw him through.

would that be a compromise ?

FWIW DS still doesn't sleep through, although it's nowhere near as bad as yours anymore <sympathy emoticon>

puffylovett Wed 16-Jul-08 22:03:51

just to clarify, we did cloth in the day and then 1 disposable at night, so 7 nappies a week in the bin smile

(just re read my post and it didn't make an ounce of sense !! )

dylsmum1998 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:01

it does seem like forever specially when you go that long with out full nights sleep grin
envy of all those whose lo sleep at such young ages

oh how i love it now,
ps dd isnt too much older than your ds she 2 yrs2months now

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:36

PHD your baby is gorgeous- are you North or South Wales? I was brought up in North Wales.

needaholiday Wed 16-Jul-08 22:25:52

just to add our babies are or have been cloth bums (I mean they have potty trained not been in dispos), and all have slept well. Usually we get a good 12 hours overnight. so no I don't think he is right and yes I do think he is being a knob as you so delicately put it grin

suwoo Wed 16-Jul-08 22:28:53

Thanks needaholiday, you are the only one who has given the correct answer grin.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 16-Jul-08 22:52:34

Oh I'm sorry suwoo - I was just arsing about grin

Although he could have a point....babies can be funny buggers wink

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Wed 16-Jul-08 23:16:25

There have been times when my ds has slept badly and my dh has said its coz he resembles a weeble in his night cloth so we have followed it with a few good nights in sposies, run out then have a good few nights in cloth so no conckucion there. My dh uses it as an excuse not to get involved with night nappies or any nappies really and at time is also a knob. Who knows ? My dh is a sleep monster and if there is a factor that might interfere with his beauty sleep he will illiminate it (or try too)

fruitbowl Wed 16-Jul-08 23:21:32

Any mileage in just using a disposable at night to see if it makes any difference? (I loved cloth napps btw but thought you might get less earache from DH!!) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now