Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Starting (again) to potty train nearly 3 year old and he won't wear pants (long one)

(11 Posts)
2luvlyboys Wed 16-Jul-08 21:26:12

Actually its my second attempt to potty train DS1. Tried a couple of months ago (in May when it was briefly very warm weather). He weed constantly went through 9 pairs of pants in 8 hours not counting when he weed on the carpet or in the garden when he wasn't wearing any!! Also he didn't poo for 3 days constantly asked for his nappy on and clutched his tummy and complained of tummy ache. Soon after I put a nappy on him he pood! I know that he was holding it in every time I suggested he use his potty (to poo) he said no I want my nappy on! He did have lots of successes in his potty (and has continued to since whenever he has a nappy change he asks to use his potty). He is very pleased with himself with every success but was very upset at the accidents at one pointcrying and said "help I cant make it stop" when he was weeing his pants and it went down his legs. And that is basicly the problem he remembers the experience of a couple of months ago and won't now wear big boys pants or training pants. Very excited about it before! Have tried letting him not wear anything on his bottom but he still keeps asking for his nappy on. Have Had no accidents this time when he has nothing on his bottom he just remembers what happened before. Also has to wear something when we go out so his nappy goes back on! Any advice?

dylsmum1998 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:59:21

not sure f it would work, could you hide the nappies and say you need to buy some new ones would he mind wearing pants til you can go to the shop, and see how it goes?

clayre Wed 16-Jul-08 22:02:22

do you use pants or boxers? my ds would only wear boxers, if he had pants on he would just wet himself but with boxers he was fine, maybe he's just strange!

2luvlyboys Thu 17-Jul-08 21:22:43

I feel I've had a breakthrough today. He did insist on wearing his nappy this morning before we went to the supermarket (thats when he did his poo has yet to do it in his potty). However the rest of the time he has either had pants on or nothing and no accidents!! So pleased with him and he is so pleased with himself too. grin

dylsmum1998 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:22:34

thats great congratulations to your ds grin

2luvlyboys Fri 18-Jul-08 19:27:29

Thanx! Only today he had an accident in his pants and insisted on having his nappy back on. (He can go on and on and on until I give in!) Thats also when he did his poo still hasn't pooed in his potty. Also my mum came round today (its her birthday) and she said that when we go out anywhere I should put his nappy back on rather than risk any accidents but doesn't that give mixed messages? Maybe he 's just not ready yet as he doesn't always give much notice - seconds sometimes or he starts dancing around and I put him on the potty quuick! Having said that he went most the morning without an accident and used his potty quite a few times. Also he does say I need a wee and he sometimes takes his nappy off or plays with his willy causing wet trousers or wet sheets and pjamas in his bed!! He is 2 years and 10 months by the way.

dylsmum1998 Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:17

i'd go with it still tbh, they all still have occasional accidents and he's only just started. he still working out timings etc, sometimes their little minds are elswhere and they forget for a bit and have accidents.
i never put either of mine back in nappies to go out (or any of the others i have helped potty train), just take lots of spare clothes and avoid long trips if poss for a little while.
poos often take a little longer than the wees, just keep offering him the potty to sit on if you think he needs to go.
some parents have found it useful to put the nappy on (the child not themselves grin) and then get child to sit on potty like that for a poo until they are more used to potty

littlepiggie Fri 18-Jul-08 21:40:12

Hi, just got ds, 2 a couple of months ago out of nappies, he would wee in his potty in the house, but then if he had a nappy on to go out he would have accidents once nappy was off.
We totally did away with nappies about a month ago aand although he has the odd accident (usually becouse he holds it as long as he can) he is dry both day and night.

littlepiggie Fri 18-Jul-08 21:40:23

Hi, just got ds, 2 a couple of months ago out of nappies, he would wee in his potty in the house, but then if he had a nappy on to go out he would have accidents once nappy was off.
We totally did away with nappies about a month ago aand although he has the odd accident (usually becouse he holds it as long as he can) he is dry both day and night.

littlepiggie Fri 18-Jul-08 21:40:25

littlepiggie Fri 18-Jul-08 21:47:44

I also found that sticking to places i knew helped, travel potty kept in the car, cover on car seat and spare clothes helped to put my mind at ease untill i was happy he would tell me he needed to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now