Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Erm... do I have to carry a potty around with me forever now?

(18 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Wed 16-Jul-08 16:53:54

Is the next stage sitting on the loo?

Is dd big enough to sit on a normal loo?

Do I have to let my baby sit on public loos??? shock [pbf] [horror]

Actually, she likes to give the loo seat a good fondle while I'm changing her brother's nappy when we're out and about so I don't know why I'm worried. AND she licked the door handle in a public loo a few days ago hmm.

Anyway. We've reached a stage where she can fairly reliably tell me when she needs to go. When this happens we nip off to the nearest appropriate place and she goes on her potty which I drag around with us everywhere we go. Please tell me what happens next.

cmotdibbler Wed 16-Jul-08 16:58:28

Sitting on the loo for def. I only have the potty for rare occasions where loos are in short supply.

DS now insists on weeing standing on the loo (yes, on because he's far too small to be able to reach otherwise, but it is the Big Boy way to go). When he condescends to sit, he has one leg over either side and is fairly stable.

BroccoliSpears Wed 16-Jul-08 17:34:52

I think we need to work on her loo sitting technique then. Atm she'd fall into the bowl if I weren't holding her under her armpits.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 16-Jul-08 17:36:10

I've never taken a potty round with me for either DS or DD. I think I still hold DD on the toilet (she's 2.9).

belgo Wed 16-Jul-08 17:39:04

I've never carried a potty around with me.

The door handles of public toilets are probably more bug infested then the loo seats themselves. I still have to hold dd2 aged 2.10 on the toilet otherwise she'd fall in.

BandofMothers Wed 16-Jul-08 17:40:35

If she can tell you reliably that she needs to go and you have time to get to a place to do it, then you can probably leave the potty at home. Just familiaise yourself with the location of all possible public loo's so that you can dash to one of those instead.
It took me a while to be brave enough to go out without the nappy on and risk this, but tbh it wasn't a big deal, take spare clothes a couple of sets, if out a longish time.

GTG as dd2 (2yo) has just weed on the carpet.grinhmm

FabioUnblogged Wed 16-Jul-08 17:40:52

I used one of these but I'm going back a few years.

Not sure where you'd get them now though. Will google further....

FabioUnblogged Wed 16-Jul-08 17:41:34

Aha!

BandofMothers Wed 16-Jul-08 17:42:07

As a sort of compromise, you could carry one of those little loo seats that sits on top of the normal loo seat. This will make you feel better about her sitting on the loo's too.

BandofMothers Wed 16-Jul-08 17:43:29

AHA Fabio beat me to it.

Oblomov Wed 16-Jul-08 17:54:02

I never took a potty. Anywhere. Ever.

Oblomov Wed 16-Jul-08 17:55:29

I have one of those cushie travel things, for sale, Brand new, bought from Blooming Marvellous, never used.
Must list it on ebay.

BroccoliSpears Wed 16-Jul-08 19:17:04

All you people who never took a potty out with you - what did you do for those first few days? When dd needed to go, she needed to go NOW. It's only now she's getting into the swing of it I'd want to be far from a pot to pee in.

Will give the travel seat a miss as I don't like the idea of putting it onto various loos and then folding it up and putting it in my bag / carying it around with me.

cmotdibbler Wed 16-Jul-08 20:07:52

He was able to go a couple of hours between wees from the start - so I just make sure I go to the loo at regular (like hourly) intervals whilst out, and thats enough. DS is delighted to wee on the grass though..

nannyL Wed 16-Jul-08 20:30:19

also train your child to say i need a wee wee now...

you go into any shop, and say "can my 2 year old use your toilet please" most say yes, but a few dont, however when your child is saying they need to wee "NOW" those who are relctant to let your child use the loo, normally change their mind grin wink

BroccoliSpears Wed 16-Jul-08 20:53:37

Ooh, sneaky NannyL

mawbroon Wed 16-Jul-08 21:13:34

I used one of these folding potties

I wasn't going to, thinking that ds would just pee on the toilet, but he absolutely refused for a while. He will use the toilet now, but I still carry the folding one for when there's no toilet nearby.

If you do get one of these, don't buy the replacement bags btw. Cheap pedal bin liners and some really cheap sanitary towels do the same job at a fraction of the price.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Wed 16-Jul-08 23:18:13

I never carried a potty around with me but did almost two years carrying a bloody purple kiddys toilet seat around with an elephant on it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now