Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training 1 month in and back to square one

(14 Posts)
suggy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:38:12

DD2 (2.4) about 6 weeks ago refused to wear nappies anymore and for the first 2 weeks had no accidents. Since then she has gradually been getting worse, weeing and pooing - she is better at the start of the day but by the end has lost interest (tiredness maybe). She is also incredibly stubborn - so tonight she weed on her sisters bed rather than go on the potty even though I had asked her if she needed a wee. Can not get her to sit on the potty (or toilet) even when she is desperate, e.g. holding herself or drips in knicks. Should we go backwards and put her back in nappies or persevere.

Has anyone suggestions ? Reward charts ? Experience of this type of thing. Finding it tough as DD1 was same age and got it straightaway.

Help ! Almost want to rub her nose in it like a puppy - please save me blush

Mung Tue 15-Jul-08 20:42:40

I remember that, and that feeling of wanting to rub their nose in it. Really try and stay calm, but I know it is so frustrating. I was really ready to give up and my Mum said to persevere and not take a step backwards...she was right (God, I hate admitting that) and a week or so later DS was OK again. Funnily enough, when out he was fine and loved the novelty of going to the loo in strange places, in fact he still does have to check out the facilities whenever we arrive somewhere.

I used reward charts and did get them out again when he regressed.

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 20:47:35

If she's managed two weeks without accidents, I would be very reluctant to give up. You'll only have to do it again some day!

DD1 was similar, in terms of starting off well and then losing the plot. Think she just got bored with the effort of it all.

Some sort of incentive scheme to make it exciting again? Just for a few days?? A marshmallow per success is working wonders for DD2 at the moment blush.

suggy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:47:59

I'm just scared that she really is too young and won't get it, and that she wasn't ready. It just seems weird that 2 weeks ago she was pulling her knicks down and telling me and she now goes and stands in corners and wees.... DP can't cope with it - she pooed in her knicks at a cafe at weekend. He was mortified and wants to give up.

I do want to persevere but its tough.

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 20:53:20

Is she picking up stressful vibes from your DP, do you think?

Mung Tue 15-Jul-08 20:58:14

Give it a bit longer and tell your DP to stay calm...its only poo, after all. The marshmallows or chocolate buttons may make her see sense.

She isn't too young...DS was 19 months when he refused to wear nappies. He couldn't even tell me properly that he needed a wee.

Try and be more positive tomorrow and start again.

suggy Tue 15-Jul-08 21:01:12

I don't think so - she is just really stubborn. If we reward with marshmallows will I end up doing it for years ? I will give it a go & report back.

Hopeful smile smile

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 21:06:44

I fully intend to "run out" of marshmallows, just as soon as DD2 has got the idea. Just use them for long enough to get her focussed.

Especially since DH has now started protesting that he doesn't get one every time he uses the loo hmm grin

suggy Tue 15-Jul-08 21:11:30

Cool. Thanks. Will persevere.

LOL about your DH - does he show you it too wink

thehairybabysmum Tue 15-Jul-08 21:21:25

Just had this with my ds for the last 2 weeks but he sems to be getting it again now.

Agree he's better out than at home.

Persevere smile

oldtimerfulltimer Tue 15-Jul-08 22:19:35

suggy, have had similar with lovely DD now 2.8 it two steps forwards one frustrating backwards move and this seems to be a constant - same as your dd - she loves trying new loos but at home tired or cross with us she will wee and/or (at the moment)poo whereever (see new thread) - just go with the flow, carry loads of clothes around, reward charts - whatever it takes - am particularly fed up at the moment with it and explained that the more I had to clean her and/or muck up less time I would have to play with her - who knows it that's made any sense!!! good luck.

DownyEmerald Wed 16-Jul-08 16:28:58

mine is doing this.
All fine at the childminders, because other girls are doing wees in potty as well. Loves other children's potties. But at home, just not interested. She can go hours, and she's literally dancing around needing to go, and she won't! And sometimes when she wants to go she'll make it and sometimes she won't or just doesn't think in time and then its puddles.

It is so frustrating. Tried the upstairs potty for a while (its blue so you get green wee) but the novelty wore off. Tried putting her on the big toilet, but the novelty has worn off. Tried special songs. Don;t really want to resort to rewards but I think I'll have to.

suggy Thu 17-Jul-08 11:27:28

Okay - bribery going very well - 3 wees in the potty by 11.26. But she is getting fussy about the sweets... Bloody toddlers !

whizzylala Tue 29-Jul-08 19:21:07

So good to read this! My DS was more or less dry except for the odd poo at 27 months, now 30 months and back to weeing everywhere and pooing everywhere. I am so fed up with it, I know he can do it and just can't be bothered. The thing I don't get is if you don't make a thing about them doing it in the wrong place then there seems to be little incentive for going in the right place - no reward (within reason) seems to be doing it for him, think I shall have to be more creative. Problem is my 4 yr old seems to think she deserves a reward too which might put him out a little. My DP gets seriously angry with him, despite my protestations that we shouldn't. I think I once heard about putting ping pong balls in the loo - what is that all about?
Thaks, good just to get some ideas.
Whizzylala

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now