Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Day 2 potty training - advice needed.

(12 Posts)
SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 15:16:38

Started potty training DS yesterday.

Day one 2 accidents
today so far - 1 accident.

All accidents were when he was clothed, when naked from the waist down he waits til he has found the potty and sat down, this is for wee and poo.

How long before i can leave the house, or get him dressed at home??
Not sure if his speech might be letting him down.( he says mummy and points to his willy when he needs to go.

So proud of him BTW.

SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 16:09:07

Please tell me I can think about leaving the house before the end of summergrin

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 20:49:38

How old? Can he get his own trousers down?

hairtwiddler Tue 15-Jul-08 20:56:03

I spent four days at home with DD then ventured out to toddlers - safe environment! I took the potty with us. Next trip out was to a friend's house, and since then have gradually got more confident.
What's the worse that could happen? Take some spare clothes with you. I have a portable potty I was given and it's been really handy.
DD was in clothes on the third day.
Two weeks in now. She's doing really well for wees, but still quite a few poo accidents. She'll get there, I hope!
Good luck and hth.

SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 20:59:52

Thanks for the replies.
He is 2.4 months.
Yes he can get his trousers down himself - he is soskinny they almost fall down on their own.grin

He only had one accident today, mainly because he was naked for the rest of the day.

Am thinking I might try just pants tomorrow morning.

SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 21:01:01

Feel so daft never had any of these problems concerns when training DD

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 21:10:28

I think I'd go for pants tomorrow and give him a chance to get used to them, accepting that there probably will be more accidents. If the day is not TOO bad go out the next day. Even if it's just for a short walk to save your sanity!

DD2 is training just now and she is not yet telling when she needs to go, but we are doing OK dodging from one loo stop to another when we are out and above. Only two accidents "out" so far - one at park and one at toddler group (where half the mums had been there before and were very understanding, and the other half were just jealous that she was willing to give it a go!)

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 21:11:01

"out and about", obviously. No idea what "out and above" means.

SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 21:34:16

That sounds like a good plan.

Does your DD sit onpotty/toilet at regular intervals and pee on command?

DS will only sit when he actually needs to go and can only go when he has a fairly full bladder.

I think that is why I am finding it so different, I just used to sit DD every half hour and then gradually increased the time between sittings iyswim.

DS has a defiant and independant personality.

Smithagain Tue 15-Jul-08 22:26:39

Yes, she does and can almost always produce something even if only a little bit. So we can have a strategic loo stop before going in anywhere where an accident would be really embarrassing.

FWIW, she's nearly 3 and has been showing signs of physical readiness for months, but only last weekend was she willing to actually try. So she is possibly more compliant than your DS!

SoupKitchen Thu 17-Jul-08 19:22:20

We are now at the end of day 4 and are in pants and trousers/shorts. He is doing so well, we even had a dry nappy this morning.
Only one accident each day, I might venture out tomorrow and risk pants

Smithagain Thu 17-Jul-08 20:27:10

Hooray for SoupKitchen's DS! Sounds like it's definitely time to broaden your horizons. You'll feel like you're walking on eggshells and suddenly become aware of exactly how far it is from one loo stop to another in your town. But it's got to be done!

We are now on day 12 and still having one accident a day, but she's taking herself off to the loo when she needs to go and I've stopped feeling like I'm walking around with a little time bomb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now