Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

dd 3.11 having major issues with pooing. Constipation problem which is becoming..

(11 Posts)
marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 13:07:27

.. a bit of a nightmare for the whole family. DD is nearly 4 and about 4 weeks ago went to the toilet and got very upset when she did a poo and it hurt. Ever since then it has become a real issue to the point where she is stopping herself from going. Last night was awful. We were all up til 3.30 am. She was doubled over in pain with tummy ache but screaming on the toilet and saying 'no no no, it will hurt ' etc. The last time she went was Thursday night and she admitted it didn't hurt and was very smiley afterwards etc. She has now decided it will hurt again and won't go. I've given her fruit and vegetables daily, tried prunes (she hates them and won't drink prune juice)and tried to get her to drink lots of water. I've just been to the chemist and bought lactulose and was assured it is very common. It's very upsetting to see her so upset and I don't know if i can do much more to help? We have been to the doctors before and the doctor said eventually they will not be able to stop it 'happening'- but it has now been 4-5 days. anyone been through this and has any advice/clever tricks? (dd2 would also be grateful as dd1 is so vocal she is waking her up!) Should I be avoiding any foods?

Youcanthaveeverything Tue 15-Jul-08 13:13:09

We've been through this. You need to give her the medication so she has to go and so that it will be very easy and not hurt. keep her on it for a little while whilst she overcomes the phobia.

we had senokot (sp?) to make him go, given with lactulose to make it soft. Once he had gone we kept him on regular lactulose for a few months and then withdrew it and managed it with diet, but do still occasionally have to give some, as if it hurts at all he still gets very distressed.

HTH.

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 13:14:52

Thanks Youcanthaveeverything- can you remember how long it took to start working after initial dose?

Youcanthaveeverything Tue 15-Jul-08 13:21:13

I think 24hrs with senokot.

But my DS was so bad when this first started happening that even the senokot didn't work, and after 4 days on high doses of senokot and lactulose we took him to Doctors and were given Movicol, which apparently they will not be able to resist. 12hrs after one dose of that he went.

We then went to senokot and lactulaose, and then just ans then just diet.

But it is a problem that reoccurs occasionally, but has never been as bad as that first time. I remember how awful it was.

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 13:26:45

Thanks smile Think i will definately get some senekot.

Youcanthaveeverything Tue 15-Jul-08 13:29:31

Ah so thats how you spell it!!grin

If it doesn't work in 24hrs, get some Movicol from Doctors. That will definetly work.

Godd luck.

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 13:31:46

Ta- will definately need it.....!

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 14:25:17

Just wondered if anyone knew of foods to give/avoid?

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 16:34:46

missymum Tue 15-Jul-08 21:29:34

would you consider taking her to a homopath? they can be helpful in treating the fear issue. good luck

marmalady Tue 15-Jul-08 21:41:00

Had not thought of that missy mum. Interesting and worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now