Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

washing very poo-ey real nappies.

(14 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Jul-08 12:31:55

Since DD has been weaned and is now on three full meals and cows milk, her poos are a very different affair. I usually use paper liners, but due to ongoing nappy rash issues have used fleece liners or fleece lined nappies a few times......the poo still gets on the nappies even with a fleece liner (and sometimes with a paper liner too). Try as I might, I can't get all the poo off the liner or nappy before going in the nappy bucket, which is a dry pail.

I do a prewash then a normal wash with extra rinse, but am finding that when they come out, there are still bits of poo, albeit very clean poo hmm, stuck to the fleece liners, and to the looped bit of applix on her wraps and to any microfibre inserts.

How do others deal with this, or is my DD abnormal? Do you rinse your nappies before going in the dry pail? Is it a full gloved up job? I do not fancy fluhing them in the loo water, but can't see that this would remove much of it anyway.

Help!

goingfor3 Mon 14-Jul-08 12:36:15

Sounds as if you need to scrape it all off before you put it in the wash.

PrettyCandles Mon 14-Jul-08 12:36:42

You could try cutting out cow's milk for a while to see whether that influences her poos. The reason I say that is that when I introduced cow's milk into ds2's diet he started having vile, stinky, sticky, poos, and constant nappyrash. Once I cut it out again his poos returned to normal (ie still explosive, but not as bad!) and the nappyrash healed.

Other than that, I have found that dry-pailing doesn't work with very wet poos. They need, unfortunately, to be wet-pailed.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Jul-08 12:40:22

<shudders at thought of scraping>

<steels self>

But what to use to scrape? and how to do it without poo going everywhere?

Never thought about wet pailing, but I have two buckets so might give it a go.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Jul-08 12:43:18

PC, the rash has been constant since she was 16 weeks old and still BF. She has had cows milk in her breakfast since about 8 months and only has a big drink of cows in the morning, so not sure it's dairy that's causing it.

babytime Mon 14-Jul-08 12:44:55

i have been naughty with this one.

My dd always poos late morning so i put a biodegradable on for the poo then back real nappies..

lazy i know but she has always had real soft poo and it just goes everywhere, i had enough of scraping it out of the nappy - yuk!!!!!

MrsBadger Mon 14-Jul-08 12:49:33

dd's poos are mostly pingable these days but a few smears usually remain - a prewash rinse then a normal wash sorts them no problem.
If I scrape I scrape into the loo with a piece of loo roll, with the nappy mostly inside resting on the bowl, but not in the water iyswim. No gloves necc.

I do still get the odd sweetcorn skin in the aplix but am mostly washing wee-only wraps daily in normal laundry as I've found pailing them with wet nappies makes the binding smell after a while.

PrettyCandles Mon 14-Jul-08 12:49:43

But if she is sensitive, and you were eating/drinking milk, she might well have been affected at 16w. I'm not saying that that is what it is, just that it's a possibility.

My 20m ds2 is going dairy-free at the moment, to see whether his explosive pooing an bad sleeping may be connected to a dairy intolerance, and I too have had to be dairy-free as I'm still feeding him. Even though he has a full 'solid' diet, apparently the ammount of cow's milk protein he would be getting through me could have an effect. I've known he can't tolerate cow's milk since he was aobut 10m, when I first tried it on him, but he's been having cheese, yogurt, etc all along, as I was before he was weaned (I don't drink milk as I can't cope with the lactose) and I thought he was fine. TUrns out I might have been wrong.

witchandchips Mon 14-Jul-08 12:56:25

scrape them with a spoon, then hold them at the clean end in the toilet bowl and flush. This gets rid of most of the stuff. I used a wet pail which seemed to help as well. One rinse into the loo of the whole lot. One rinse cycle of washing machine and then put them onto wash

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Jul-08 14:02:27

never thought about washing the wraps with the rest of the laundry MrsB!

and lol babytime...she isn't that predictable, or I would do that myself wink

right...scraping into the loo it is. DH is going to love me......NOT!

Will try cutting back on dairy and see what happens.

babytime Mon 14-Jul-08 14:27:37

my little one is two though so the are more predictable with poo's the older they get.

at 16 weeks i cant remember and used disposables then

scrape with a spoon - yikes!

LuLuBai Wed 16-Jul-08 14:06:34

Hi - I always use paper liners as I think they help to keep keep the nappy surface dry to the touch and help prevent nappy rash.

However some poo almost always get onto the nappy and often the wrap too. I rinse the nappies thoroughly under the tap in the washbasin to get rid of solids and then squeeze out the excess liquid and put them in a bucket full of water with some tea-tree in (the bucket has a lid).

Then wash them in the machine. No pre-wash but I do do them at 60 most of the time and I started adding Nappisan when her poos started getting nastier (once fully weaned onto solids).

Then the most important bit for nice fresh clean nappies: hang them on the line outdoors. Any that are slightly discoloured should stay outdoors for longer. Even in grim miserabe winter drizzle. Leaving outdoors really does bring the freshness back better than anything else I have tried.

blot4 Wed 16-Jul-08 15:13:29

I agree with LuLuBai about hanging them on the line - gets rid of stains amazingly and makes them smell much fresher.

I wet pail my nappies, using a tbsp of white vinegar to draw out the stains. I used to use disposable liners, but our drains couldn't cope (despite them being supposedly flushable!) and I've had to go back to relying on fleece liners (in fact I use Bumbles anyway which are fleece lined). I scrape the poo off using loo paper and bung it in the wet pail. I can then wash the nappies at 60 and they always come clean even if poo has got onto the nappy itself.

ilovemydog Wed 16-Jul-08 15:20:07

I wet pail with tea tree oil

And have to sluice - hold diaper in toilet and slosh around. Not glamorous, but works

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: