Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Will cloth nappies stop DS2's constant eczema/fungal nappy rash, if so which ones would be best?

(38 Posts)
Olihan Sat 12-Jul-08 16:12:11

That's it really!

Anyone with any experience or recommendations?

TIA

ilovemydog Sat 12-Jul-08 16:20:15

no.

In my experience, cloth nappies won't stop nappy rash.

crokky Sat 12-Jul-08 16:27:05

I would think disposables would keep the skin drier. My DS got sore with reusables, so i went back to disposable.

Olihan Sat 12-Jul-08 16:27:48

Thanks, Ilovemydog. What about if it's more eczema than nappy rash? He has bad eczema all over him but it flares up a lot in his groin. GP gave us Daktakort cream to use on it, which is anti fungal but also has a steroid in it, which helps. She also said it was because of the nappies but I wasn't sure whether she meant the chemicals in the disposables or just the warm, dark environment you'd get with any nappies.

BigBadMousey Sat 12-Jul-08 17:04:40

I know someone who uses cloth to reduce the amount of eczema her DS suffers. She uses fluffles and an airflow wrap. The fluffles are fully fleece lined and the airflow does allow the nappy to breathe - she found this combination gave her baby a much drier bottom than disposables.

You might have to experiment a bit though to find which is best so have a look here to find out if there is a cloth nappy trial kit service near you.

tbh if you want a drier bottom for your DS then I would definitely try something fully fleece lined (fluffles, bumbles, bimbles) - you will find that keeps him much drier than a disposable. Some children react to fleece (pretty rare) others react to the PUL in the waterproof wrap (still pretty rare) so don't buy a load before you know it works. Maybe get one or two second hand before splashing out - you can always resell if they don't work for you.

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 17:12:28

i switched to cloth with my ds3 as he had permanent nappy rash i finally put down to sensitivity to disposables when he was... ooh, i dunno... over a year i think.
it worked.
hes out of them now, but i have lots of different kinds. would you like to borrow some to trial? save you shelling out if its not the answer

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 17:14:11

i know flame is fabulous for impartial advice, v knowledgable. email her for personal advice

pinkspottywellies Sat 12-Jul-08 17:15:13

When dd got a fungal rash, the only way we could get it go away was a couple of weeks worth of disposables (rather than our usual reusables) but BigBadMousey's advice sounds good.

JoyS Sat 12-Jul-08 17:20:27

Mine reacts to PUL! She does not have eczema though. Airflow and Rikki wraps, or any other with exposed PUL give her a rash. We have no problems with Bummis super whisper, Imse Vimse organic cotton or Baby Beehinds PUL. We also use wool, which is great for breathability.

Good idea to get some advice from one of the nappy sellers on here, they are very knowledgeable.

suwoo Sat 12-Jul-08 17:37:31

I have been trying out wool at night over DS's bumbles. He has terrible rash down his inner thighs, DH is pressuring to go back to disposables but I will not <<stamps foot>>

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 17:45:02

oh i LOVE wool for night. havce shorties, longies, soakers... love it.

RedFraggle Sat 12-Jul-08 17:47:08

cloth nappies used to aggravate my dd's eczema terribly - had to switch to disposables in the end unfortunately...

I had been using totbopts with motherease wraps if that help ( sorry typing carp! wriggly boy on knee)

Olihan Sat 12-Jul-08 17:57:47

Thank you all for the different experiences. Looks as though a bit of experimentation might be the way forward.

Amphibimum, I would love to take you up on your offer. Can I CAT you?

suwoo Sat 12-Jul-08 18:00:50

Amphibimum, I have a soaker and longies. DS is a very heavy wetter and I think the superboosting is causing the nappies to gape and leak at the leg. This is what I think is causing the rash. Tonight I am trying a slinki minki as they are more elasticated and may contain the leaks.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 12-Jul-08 18:06:33

olihan, my DD has had bad eczema on her bottom and the tops of her thighs since about 16 weeks old. s when it gets so bad that we have We stopped using cloth as i thought that was causing it, but she is just as bad in disposables. So I went back to using cloth, but pocket nappies rather than two partes as the elastic in the legs of the wraps seemed to be making it worse.

We now use a combination of pockets and disposables, usually putting her back in dispos for a few days when it gets so bad we have to resort to heavy barrier creams, and we put her in dispos at night.

We also have a huge arsenal of various lotions and potions and unctions...all of which seem to work for a few days and then it comes back.

hth smile

Olihan Sat 12-Jul-08 18:26:06

LackaDAISYcal, I know what you mean about the arsenal of creams, we have all sorts depending on where it is/how bad it is but none of it makes a difference for more than a couple of days.

DS2's is bad across the front of his groin, between his tummy and the top of his willy, then down the back of his thighs where his bottom and thighs meet. It's often worse in the morning when he's been in a soggy nappy for hours.

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 19:05:40

suwoo - what, the wee leaks out of the longies?

olihan - certainly - CAT away smile

LackaDAISYcal Sat 12-Jul-08 19:15:43

strangely with us DDs rash is worse at the top of her thighs, outwith the nappy area, but I think it's where her skin is rubbing on the outside of the nappy. There are huge semicircular patches that fade, but never really go completely. I wondered about wool wraps, but not sure whether the lanolin won't aggravate it more. The only thing that clears it for us is daktacort as well, but I don't like using that too often due to the steroid content.

The doc thinks she will grow out of it once she is out of nappies!

interesting about the reaction to PUL mentioned by JoyS. We are using modern baby pop ins which have a soft fleecy outer at the minute so we'll see what difference those make.

fleece liners are good for that stay dry feeling, but not so great when she has had a poo!

suwoo Sat 12-Jul-08 20:31:57

Amphibimum, No the wee leaks out of the nappy leg and the wool and the wet skin together causes the rash. Well thats what I reckon. The wee definitely leaks out of the leg though, because the nappy can be completely dry in the front and his grobag is soaked. He has gone to bed in a slinki minki stuffed with a terry nappy and his longies. Could it be that he is in a gro bag? Maybe that is too close to the wool and causing it to wick?

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 20:36:01

isnt a slinki minki a pocket nappy with a pul outer though?

it is possible that hes putting lots of pressure on the same spot of grobag causing wicking i guess... does he wriggle much? is the grobag tight? what size/age is he? what other nappies have you tried with the longies?

its quite warm atm, are you sure he needs wool longies and a grobag?

suwoo Sat 12-Jul-08 20:42:44

Its not bloody warm in Manchester, had heating on today. Slinki Minki has fleece then pul, then fleece. Don't think its the pul as never had rash until I tried wool and only ever used pul wraps. Don't think he moves much so could be that. He is a small 19 months.

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 20:49:15

thing is, the wool is meant to be used as the only wrap, over the absorbent stuff, like a tots or something. not over a pocket nappy which already has a wrap. the idea is that the wool breathes and allows liquid to kind of evaporate, so the pul would kind of interrupt that process i think.

would you like to try other kinds of nappies?? smile

suwoo Sat 12-Jul-08 21:17:52

Are you being sarky Amphibimum? grin Are you a name changer? You have made me laugh tonight, I like your style. What would you suggest?

Olihan Sat 12-Jul-08 22:08:28

Amphibimum, have CATed you....smile

Amphibimum Sun 13-Jul-08 12:32:50

lol no, not sarky, but definately a bit confused grin. and yes, i am a perpetual namechanger <mysterious> arf

how old is the child? cant suggest anything unless i know what sort of creature im dealing with. i also suggest asking flame for advice, shes clever she is smile

olihan, am looking out for it smile[

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now