Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If I have bumgenius do I need flexitot for night?

(18 Posts)
Squarah Fri 11-Jul-08 14:22:57

Hi there - I am 2 weeks from my due date for my first baby and we're about to order 16 bumgenius and the local nappy lady (who is fab) has suggested getting 4 flexitots for night-time use. Obviously this slightly complicates matters and you then need to buy different sizes and wrappers for them. What have been your experiences?

I do have some Moltex Oko as well for in hospital and going out initially (44 mini 2x48 midi) while we're settling in etc.

Also wondered if people managed without fleece liners in bumgenius? Getting the bioliner to start with for flushable paper insert.

AND do the poppers for bumgenius last for more than one child?

Thanks.

fluffyanimal Fri 11-Jul-08 14:29:40

I have no idea, but I'd just like to say that has to be one of the best thread titles ever.

I'd quite like to have bumgenius. God knows, my bum could do with it.

Katisha Fri 11-Jul-08 14:32:57

But have you got flexitot? And if so is there anything that can be done?

Gosh things are different these days! grin

Squarah Fri 11-Jul-08 15:28:35

I haven't bought anything yet but am going over to have a look at them with DH tomorrow - just wanted 2nd opinions as to whether I could try with just bumgenius to start with or whether people think I'll deffo need something else for night?

I know - frankly the nappies are worth it just for the name! grin Love it!

girlywhirly Fri 11-Jul-08 15:45:55

You will need more than 44 mini moltex, my DS went through 12 nappies every 24hrs in his first week, all pooey! You never know whether your baby will be the same.

Sorry I can't help you with the cloth nappy questions, but I think see how you are after the birth, whether you can cope physically and start slowly integrating them into ypur daily routine until you're confidently using them all the time, using moltex in between times.

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 17:00:38

bumping for BG users (coz I'm not one) however....

I think you would be OK without them tbh you should be fine overnight using an extra booster or maybe a different, more absorbant type of booster such as hemp or bamboo. I have used pocket nappies overnight with no issues but not BG unfortunately.

I don't use a liner for my newborn at all - newborn poo washes out very easily and any stains will come out if you hang them out on a sunny day.

Don't buy any more moltex yet - they grow so quickly sometimes and you may end up with a load left over that are too small.

Not sure about longevity of BG now. I'm assuming you have the V3 - the V2 had issues with the aplix not holding out but apparently the V3 has addressed this. Keep your receipt just in case!

SoupDragon Fri 11-Jul-08 17:03:35

Longevity of BG v1 was utterly sh*te. The leg/back elastic on all of mine had gone to some degree after only 8 months of use.

Personally, I wouldn't think they'd last overnight. I didn't find them that reliable. they were fab in the day but I would not have used them overnight. DD was 5 months old when I started with them.

SoupDragon Fri 11-Jul-08 17:06:09

I thought the BG were lined with fleece no no separate liner was needed. Certainly I never used a liner at all when DD was breastfed, only when weaned to make poo removal easier! I really don't think a liner is necessary for a breastfed baby although I can't speak for a formula fed one. Just hold the outer in the toilet and flush to rinse poo off.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Fri 11-Jul-08 21:14:39

I agree no liner needed - the evolution from bg v1 and v3 has resulted in a very improved nappy. I cant comment on longevity between babies as they havent been out long enough in the v3 but in my time as a bg retailer even to now from the earlier v2 i can see the difference in the quality and they ar much improved.....

Anyway to answer your question - with a hemp or bamboo booster in with your bumgenius v3 inserts you should get overnight easily enough without having to buy more of a different type of nappy - if you get on with bumgenius and are happy with them through the day you may as well buy more and take advantage of the price breaks hence getting em cheaper..... does your advisor person tomorrow offer price breaks on them - i would ask....

I would normally caution against going out and buying a full birth to potty set straight off of one type of brand of nappies just in case they dont suit but off all the pockets out there bumgenius seem one of the most foolproof along with greenkids. Hope my ramblings have helped.....

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 21:37:50

nappyzone - you've tried the flexitot haven't you? I was a bit surprised to see it recommended as a night nappy - I know it is supposed to be absorbant but is it that absorbant??

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Fri 11-Jul-08 21:46:06

It is absorbant yes and i have used it overnight but under a pul tots wrap and i boosted it - it lasted and was nice and slim - however, i think due to the outer core being made of whatever its made out of its not really one for wool wear which is most peoples first choice for a night (but i may be wrong). Not my first choice for nightwear - a stuffed bimble would be better as a shaped nappy overnight or an ellas house (i like my ds to feel dry overnight and being organic bamboo it isnt a stay dry lining). You know im a pocket fan so these days im taking full advantage of the cheapness of wonderoos and their extra roomy pockets for nightime stuffing. The flexi tot is lovely and stretchy and soft and reliable andif i had a full set i would use it overnight but i wouldnt buy them as a deliberate nightime nappy for me. God i go on!!! blush

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 21:54:26

Oh no, please DO go on! I've been asked about them a few times now but I haven't even held one so I need info grin. I would buy one but I fear, like all the other tots nappies, it will be too low in the rise for my nappy-bottomed two.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Fri 11-Jul-08 22:05:26

it isnt a low rise, i would say my size 2 is comparable with the rise of a fully opened out happy heiny onesize. They are soooooooooo soft its just they are not stay dry that spoils it for me as boy has sensitive tackle - oooba stretchy and slim - not exactly as fast drying as they claim but then i am trying to dry mine up north....

They are as slim as a slimmer pocket too (HH onesize/ bg) but then you go jazz it up by chasing your toddler around for another ten mins to stick on pretty funky new tots wraps which they recommend you use with em....

My weenotions wrap fits perfectly on it too....

There are a few piccys of them on my site now in different profiles (im such a nappy bore!)

You need to hold one - they are stretchy... wheres flame - she has held too.....

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 22:23:31

So where can I get just one flexitot then? Purely for the purpose of 'essential' research of course....

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 08:47:38

from me of course Nappyzone!!! Flame also stocks em...

BigBadMousey Sat 12-Jul-08 09:52:08

durrrrrrr blush - that did occur to me about 4 hours after posting <sigh>

Well DS is 6 weeks old but 12lbs and he has been putting on just under 1lb a week most weeks so now I have to decide what size to go for....he has builders bum in Size 1 bsmboozles grin

Squarah Sat 12-Jul-08 23:44:53

Thanks folks - decided to go for a set of bumgenii (surely the plural!) as my nappylady will let you swap/ return any unused ones if you don't get on with them. So will see how I get on and only wash a couple to start with. She's offered to lend me other types to try overnight if I don't find them enough with a booster. I just think I can't face more than one type to start with.

And yes, they are the V3 BG so should be winners hopefully - and yes discounted! I can't wait to put my LO in there when they finally make an appearance! Thank God I'm pregnant - I'm so broody grin!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Jul-08 12:25:02

I used a flexitot for the first time overnight last night....with the very slim booster it comes with and a tots wrap. No leaks and it even contained a rather explosive poo. I was very impressed, given how slim it is.

Tot marketing stuff says it will hold 700ml of wee, whereas leading disposables will only hold about 550ml!

doubt BG would give the same performance unless very heavily boosted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now