Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I am all lost with this potty training malarky...help?

(46 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 19:48:04

I have tried reading up on it and am a bit lost.

I think DD is ready. Well I know she is. We had the potty around for ages, she has gone from putting her bears to bed in it, to for the first time two days ago actually going for a wee in the potty. She did a little, was very pleased and showed me by tipping it up 'loooooook!' luckily not much!

A few minutes later while cleaning her teeth, she asked for the potty quite desperately, then went in it!!! Lots!

Not been at all interested since, then today, she got it and took it around with her for about 20 mins, sitting on it, and occasionally saying 'sore, sore' which she does when she does a poo sometimes. Then she stood over it and did a poo, right in it!!! But no wee. And now she does not want her nappy on at all

It seems I should now set a day when she stops using nappies? Does it have to be this rigid? We are used to being quite fluid with her development, just going with the 'flow' so to speak.

So what should we do now, get some knickers? What about poo? Do we potty train for this too at the same time?

StressTeddy Thu 10-Jul-08 19:51:06

Oh well done your dd
I'd buy lots of pants and yes, try for poo as well as wee

Good luck

Just rememberv -she may well have a few off days but she defo sounds ready

StressTeddy Thu 10-Jul-08 19:51:59

oh abd we set a day and then stopped day nappies. Waited ubtil we were on hol but you sound as if you can start anytime

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 19:53:18

buy TONS of cheap pants - like asda 20 for 2 quid or wahtever - ones you wont mind just chucking if they get really grubby

then go cold turkey

both my dds had it by day 7

if you like, you can bypass the potty and go straight to the toilet

i did (hate potties) and it was nae bother (used soft toilet seat thing)

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 19:53:32

I spoke to nursery today about how they manage it, they said, we tell them what we want, how we want it, and they will follow it as we wish. They basically said, if you want her out of nappies, we will do all the work here...i asked if she could be in all week next week!!! grin

So, just, buy pants, and, not go out? or nappies out, pants indoors?

Oh she still seems too young, my lil baby! she was only two last week! sad

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 19:55:05

Nailpolish - did you have a step for the toilet? DD is tiny! She does quite like to sit on it too!

watsthestory Thu 10-Jul-08 19:59:24

Message withdrawn

cmotdibbler Thu 10-Jul-08 19:59:35

My Ds went nappy free the week after he was two. As you have, we'd had the potty around for ages, and in the evenings he had nappy off time and started to use it more and more, so then we started nappy off in the day at weekends when we were around. So by 2 and a week I knew that he was pretty consistently using the potty if unemcumbered, and nursery had been offering him the potty at nappy changing times (as well as obv having free access to it at others0

He then got chicken pox, so as we had to be around the house, I just left him with no nappy or shorts on - great success and has been daytime nappy free since.

So, maybe just let her have free access nappy off (much more respectable with girls) when you are at home, maybe offer the toilet when you are out if you are going, then when she's reliablish with that, go to pants all the time.

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:06:06

Around the house, she prefers naked anyway, thats fine for us! Oh and I am going to the beach on Saturday and she loves being naked on the beach too. Although, if on the beach I wont know if she is doing it on the sand or not...should I take the potty with me?

Thanks cmot and watsthestory.

If it is delayed, can that damage her progression? I think she is ready right now, DH wants to wait a while. I dont see the point but we got to be consistent so I dont want to start if he wont do it...

watsthestory Thu 10-Jul-08 20:08:08

Message withdrawn

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:08:54

watsthestory I know that. DH does not!

watsthestory Thu 10-Jul-08 20:12:46

Message withdrawn

StressTeddy Thu 10-Jul-08 20:13:57

did you not like my advice then? sad
[needy emoticon]

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:15:43

Sorry stress I thought I had already responded blush. I even read your advice out to DH who poked his head round the door!

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:16:28

Oh how sweet - DD is currently trying to pull a bra of mine up her legs 'Bella pants, Bella, pants' grin!!!

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 20:16:57

yes i got a step from ikea

sometimes picked dd p and carried under the arm in mad dash and then plonked her on it as they tend to stand in the middle of the room shouting "wee wee!" and you have to rugby tackle them and mad dash

i quite enjoyed toilet training actually! i did it in summer too and they basically spent a week running roundt the garden bare-bummed - accidents outside are stress free

StressTeddy Thu 10-Jul-08 20:17:29

oh neediness just melted away smile
Best of luck - I think you will find it ok

Keep reporting back won't you?

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:17:47

nailpolish - shame we don't have a summer, otherwise timing would be great!

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 20:18:36

NO! dont take potty to the toilet

tell dh to dig a hole - men love that - its dead manly

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 20:18:58

aargh

i meant dont take potty to the beach

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:22:33

I got what you mean!
I am quite happy for her to wee on the sand, she usually does! Just wondered if it would hinder the whole potty training process! See, green I am! grin

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 20:25:33

i dont think it would hinder smile

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:27:01

oh good, because it will be my friend doing it as I am going out for a swim/kayak! DH is working!

cmotdibbler Thu 10-Jul-08 20:42:21

DS was delighted to have his first wee on grass last week. Trouble is, now we have to stop him trying to do it all the time in the garden.

I had no intention of pottytraining DS this yet at all, and I felt quite emotional about it in some ways as he gave up breastfeeding and pottytrained in the space of a month.

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 20:46:08

cmot he is clearly asserting his independence!

Main problem now is wont keep her nappy on, has weed in her bed, and on mine shock.

I am about to put her back to bed, she has a body suit and pj trousers on, she knows how to get out of them though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now