Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

birth to potty nappies.. are they any good?

(9 Posts)
NattyEcoWarriorPrincess Wed 09-Jul-08 10:44:13

for my next child i would like to get the type or reusable nappy that goes from bith till 35lb (about 2?) but would like some help chosing.
which ones seem to work best. my priorites are comfort for baby and drying time, i dont mind bulkyness as my babies are in babygrows for the first year, which have plenty of room in them.

1-10 rating on diff types perhaps?

BigBadMousey Wed 09-Jul-08 11:18:24

MEOS cotton - 3/ 10 for us - not a good fit so not very comfy and take ages to dry (plus not very abosrbant)

MEOS Bamboo 5/10 poor fit for us still but more comfy for baby, took a bit longer to dry than cotton but not much longer (although still a long time IMO - and I use Hemp nappies!)

Bumgenius - 9/10 if they fit your childs shape 0/10 of they don't. Nice and comfy to wear and very quick drying. If they don't suit your DCs shape you'll get leaks. I'd try one or two before buying in bulk. V3 comes with a newborn insert

Bumbles - 9/10 Fleece lined so very comfy as bottom stays dry. Not bad drying time at all for a cotton nappy and very good fit for most shapes of baby - esp if you go for a nippa fit version. Combine with a motherease wrap for best effect grin

Wonderoo - 8/10 same as bumgenius but they lose a point from me due to poor quslity of insert and maybe not such a neat fit. Mine fell to bits after 3 washes. I find GAD inserts better. I think nappyzone said they have since improved their quality though

CJMommy Wed 09-Jul-08 11:22:22

I use Bambino Mio - bought he birth to potty set. DS now 6 months and we have been using them since birth. They work for us and we're happy with them but have no experience of any others. Hope this helps?

cmotdibbler Wed 09-Jul-08 11:28:53

We used MEOS, and found them a good fit, pretty absorbent (just added the booster when needed), and very easy to use.
We combined with sized pocket nappies to vary things.

The Blueberry one size are nice, and I've got a couple of Wonderoos that I like, esp the hemp inserts.

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 09:59:39

well if you do go for the MEOS I've just seen they are doing them in colours now as well as white and unbleached (still wouldn't tempt me though wink)

scottishmum007 Fri 11-Jul-08 13:18:49

I use MEOS aswell and I find them to be ideal for our DS. It's saving on buying various sizes as he grows. Worth the initial expense to begin with.

For the liner part we wash the cloth wipes (Pampers or supermarket's own brand) which we've used to wipe our DS bits (as long as it's not soiled!!). We just keep re-washing them, saves buying bits of fleece or the biodegradable wipes you can buy. Cheaper option. smile

NellyTheElephant Fri 11-Jul-08 13:29:02

I love the MEOS. DD now 17 months and I've used them since 6 weeks. You do need to add the snap in boosters from about 6 months though so if you do get MEOS I'd suggest you buy the same number of boosters to go with them. I have lots of different nappies but the MEOS are always on the top of my pile.

ten10 Fri 11-Jul-08 13:33:42

For one size nappies I think that the Motherease are the best and will last a long time because the poppers would wear out (like the velcro/applix has on a number of the other brands i own)

and when they get a bit older the are less likely to be able to undo their nappy

they are bulky at first but to combat this just go up a size on clothing

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 16:42:15

Wonderoo one size are poppers too and nippa bumbles don't wear out or you can go for the popper version. I'm not a big fan of aplix either - too bulky round a newborns middle usually.

Still can't stand MEOS though grin

DS is 6 weeks old and DD2 is 2.2 and they are sharing bumbles atm. DD2 says the bumbles are very comfy. For DD2 I'm boosting them with a homemade bamboo booster instead of the terry insert and that lasts 4 hours easily. DS is a very heavy wetter but can go 4 hours in one unboosted easily - he wets through a size 1 bamboozle in an hour shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now